Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:18 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No one is right or wrong, it's just personal preferences.

I sure wouldn't want someone telling me what I should or shouldn't enjoy!!

Excellent post.

I learned something today. I had kicked around the idea of converting a van to a small camper with the idea of traveling in retirement. But we plan on having a dog and I had no idea they are all but forbidden in National Parks. I guess it makes sense, never crossed my mind.

Oh well, there's always golf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 04:55 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
I've been thinking about a RV or motorhome for a while. I keep weighing the pros & cons as I see them. There's a lot to be said about traveling in a car that gets 30+ mpg, is comfortable keeping up with the flow of traffic when it's up to 85mph, arrive at your destination, take 10 minutes to check into your hotel room. I would like to try RVing. Some aspects of it look like fun. I'm still looking into it.
Financially I don't think it works.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I've been thinking about a RV or motorhome for a while. I keep weighing the pros & cons as I see them. There's a lot to be said about traveling in a car that gets 30+ mpg, is comfortable keeping up with the flow of traffic when it's up to 85mph, arrive at your destination, take 10 minutes to check into your hotel room. I would like to try RVing. Some aspects of it look like fun. I'm still looking into it.
Economical class B (van conversion) can get 22 -25 mpg in a minivan with pop top. 35 mpg in and evil VW diesel conversion van.

My class c gets 20 mpg

My evil 52 mpg diesel wagon has room to sleep, fridge, stove, hw heater, outdoor shower.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:40 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Rarely is it financially cheaper to RV as opposed to a 30 MPG vehicle and motel rooms. However, we love the RVing experience and the people we meet. We don't always RV though, this fall we are renting a cabin for our vacation.

We always take our 3 little dogs whether RVing or staying in a cabin.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:51 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
.......... There's a lot to be said about traveling in a car that gets 30+ mpg, is comfortable keeping up with the flow of traffic when it's up to 85mph, arrive at your destination, take 10 minutes to check into yor hotel room.......
Try checking into the cost and availability of hotel rooms in national parks. Many are in the range of $400/night for a pretty modest room. Plan on making your reservations months in advance. Of course, that only works when there is a lodge/hotel. Many parks do not have them or they are not convenient to the scenic areas. You might get 30+ mpg but you are often going to do a lot of driving and at speeds of 45 mph or less coming from your hotel/motel room outside of the park.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:59 PM

Many travelers seem to be concentrating on the mileage and cost of fuel. I never found that to be any serious concern. Camping and cooking most of my own meals is pretty cheap, typically under $25/day for two adults. Motels and eating out are likely to be in the $300 range. If that sounds high, realize you are facing tourist prices and the costs can be much higher. Convenience is another concern. When traveling in the parks I want to be outdoors not hanging around the lodge eating an expensive meal. I spent a lot of time in Yellowstone's Lamar Valley. It sure was nice to pull off the road, have a decent meal, watch the bison and take a nap. The car traveler would be a minimum of an hour from any place to eat. Should I mention my RV bathroom compared with the heavily used outhouses in the Lamar Valley?

Old 03-15-2017, 06:32 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
But can you do that? Just pull of the road, cook and nap? Can you stay at rest stops?

Are parks normally booked way in advance during tourist season (for RVs)?

I don't mind roughing it a bit (I'm a shower aholic with long hair, with a thing for scalding hot water), and we can always get a hotel room for a night to re-group.

The reason I was staying away from the Class A's (aside for the obvious cost) was their size makes it seem like they are so limiting.

Granted, I live on an island so I don't know if their are truck stops all over that can accommodate a Class A. If your tired can you just spend the night in the parking lot?

Is there a book like Rving for dummies?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-15-2017, 06:56 PM

Large RVs are limiting. Note above I mentioned car travel in a place like Yellowstone. Very inconvenient for eating, taking a rest or using the facilities. The same would be true for someone with a large RV. That is likely to be outside of the park entirely. Maybe 50 miles outside of the park towards Livingston. Those folks are going to be in a car towed behind the RV or in a truck used to tow a trailer.

As for me, yes, absolutely there are plenty of places to pull off the road, cook, nap, look out the window and watch the scenery. Last time I was in the Lamar Valley, I woke up after a nap and had a bison 50' away chewing chud.

With dogs, long hot showers, and that sort of priority, I would guess an RV is not for you. Of course, most motels, hotels and lodges are also not going to take dogs. You will need to limit your travel to places that are suitable.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:36 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I bought a 27ft Class C Lazy Daze RV last year hoping I can use it as I get into my retirement years.. They are hand made at the factory in CA and some of the best built. They pretty much created the Class C RV, been around since the 1950's and still a family business.

http://www.lazydaze.com/

You might join the LD forum

http://www.lazydazeowners.com/index.php?action=forum

Traveling in the US, I've stayed in Walmart, Costco, church parking lots many times while traveling.

Last edited by Rakin; 03-15-2017 at 07:48 PM..

Old 03-15-2017, 07:44 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Showering in a RV is not like a shower at a house or hotel. Let's be honest. Many people do not like to deal with dumping. Some people aren't very skilled at it shall we say. You need an energy source to run the a/c and heat. You have to pay for tv and wifi somewhere. Many people don't want to go without them. you may want to read, but that's not everyone. And when it's been pouring rain for 3 days, reading gets old!
Traveling in an RV (and yes, people commonly refer to trailers as RVs, too!) isn't for everyone.

You seem to be saying that because you don't like it, it isn't for anyone.

Your other points are, to put it mildly, silly. I can dump my little RV's tanks in 10 minutes and it doesn't have to be done on every trip. The annoying aspect is that most of the free sanitary dump sites in California have been closed. Worried about having to see poo? Don't poo in your RV toilet. Problem solved.

Energy source? What do you think the engine is? Motorhomes usually come equipped with generators as well. I have both, plus solar to charge the coach batteries. Another energy source: propane.

Pay for TV and wifi? Who does that? I have 4G-connected iPads. My receiver gets over-the-air TV just fine. Not that I watch TV at all on the roads but I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement