Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:53 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times

Advertisements

I don't see the harm.
Our daughter (my step daughter) moved back in last year at age 48 to catch her breath after a divorce. We have been able to help her a great deal and help get her back on her feet. It's actually been fun - or as much fun as those things can be.

Now, she is buying a house and moving out. We find that it makes us sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 04:56 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
If the family relationships are good, and the expectations are clear and understood by all, I don't see a problem with it. Your daughter doesn't seem to have shown any signs of being a slacker or moocher yet.

I am biased from my own experience (just like everyone else) - I moved back into my dad's house after undergrad. I lived there for a couple of years and then moved out.I eventually got tired of living with one of my parents, and was ready to go out on my own. I worked full-time while I lived there and he didn't make me pay any house bills or rent (I bought my own food/clothes/etc). I was able to save almost my entire income during that time and it provided me with a nice savings account when I moved out.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:48 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
You have the room. You have the love. Just make conditions but don't turn her away.
Well said! I agree.

Been on both sides.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:49 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It's difficult to find good roommates, particularly at that age. Honestly, I think if I were in the OP's shoes, I would be relieved that my daughter wanted to live in my home, rather than out pursuing a party lifestyle.
So, young adults not living with parents automatically live a "party lifestyle"? Pray tell how and when do they ever learn how to settle down if they always live with their parents? Oh - just until she's married and safely ensconced in her marital home?

Part of living is dealing with other people...she should have done all that stuff in college - roommates, that party lifestyle , wild crazy sex...etc., etc. She should be ready to work and save money now...not in need of her parents.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:56 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
She is only 27 and already recognizes the advantages of being debt free. That is something to be encouraged.
Yes, my parents started talking to me from a much earlier age than this, but better late than never. When I was 13 I was already saving up money, years in advance, to buy my first car from my parents at a discount from market value that we had pre-agreed on, because "never borrow money to buy a depreciating asset". But again, better late than never. Some people never learn, or need Dave Ramsey to teach them...

Old 03-15-2017, 08:31 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So, young adults not living with parents automatically live a "party lifestyle"? Pray tell how and when do they ever learn how to settle down if they always live with their parents? Oh - just until she's married and safely ensconced in her marital home?

Part of living is dealing with other people...she should have done all that stuff in college - roommates, that party lifestyle , wild crazy sex...etc., etc. She should be ready to work and save money now...not in need of her parents.
I didn't say all do, but I remember my 20s, and yes, it is a possibility. I saw it happen a lot, and I'm pretty sure most of those young people wish now that they had spent less on going out and more on paying down debt and saving for a home.

I don't see any indication of this young woman looking for her parents to support her until she finds a man. I just see a young woman who is making wiser choices than many of my friends and I did.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:33 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
She is only 27 and already recognizes the advantages of being debt free. That is something to be encouraged.
^^^THIS!

I get really tired of some of the things said about young adults today. If they want their own place, they are wasting money and not planning ahead, and if they move back in with their parents to save, they are being coddled.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:17 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
With the economy being so bad I don't see anything wrong with it and yes you will miss them when they leave the home , I do . I have offered my son our spare bedroom because he is having a hard time dealing with the economy so I told him move back in here with us and get back on your feet and catch your breath . There is no time limit and he will help us in the long run , he likes to do yard work and he likes helping his mom paint and do odd ball projects . I see nothing wrong with it . He has a son but a strained relationship with the mother of his son so he needs a strong wall and I would not mind if any of my kids wanted to move back home . Let her, you will be glad you did .

Old 03-16-2017, 06:39 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I would let my daughter move back, IF she is the sort of person you say she is, which is hardworking, congenial and responsible. Have a frank discussion before she moves in, telling her your concerns that she might become too dependent if you all are not vigilant.
If you need the money, charge her rent.
If you don't need the money, charge her rent, and give it to her when she moves out.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:57 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
I haven't read all of the posts yet but I want to say something from another perspective - I have family members who have always been bailed out in this way by parents and have always been given a spot back in the house without being asked to contribute financially - without fail every one of them has grown up with zero sense of what it's like for others who did not have such advantages.

I don't know if that matters to you, and you sound lovely (as are the parents of these cousins). The kids genuinely have no sense of what reality is for a struggling adult. I feel that they were done a disservice. They are so used to parents paying for them for housing and travel when needed that now they are in their mid to late 20s and can't believe that doesn't happen for others.

If you let her come home, please find a way to get her this knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement