Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 PM

320 posts, read 235,158 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are semi-retired and our daughter is 27 years old, the youngest of 3 (2 older brothers). She graduated from college, spent a year in London to finish her Master's degree and now has a great job. Currently, she's living with our middle son (an engineer) in a rented townhouse just 20 minutes away. They've always been very close, so this has been a good living arrangement for the past year, but when the lease is up, my son wants to purchase a place of his own. He is offering his sister a room when he gets his new place, but she's thinking about moving back home instead. She'd like to save money for a condo and start to pay down her student loan debt from her graduate work. We have a large home and there's plenty of room and we all get along, but we are feeling it's a step back as far as her independence is concerned. Her friends have all moved away and she's having a tough time meeting new people. She'd like to meet a nice guy, but her experience with online dating has been disappointing. Our fear is if she retreats back home, she'll start settling in. My husband and I would like to see our kids launched into the world before we depart (hopefully decades away!) and we don't know what's the best thing to do. Should we say yes to our daughter moving home again, or encourage her to get her own place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 11:08 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,548,068 times
If she spent a year in London (across the ocean from you, I presume?) on her own, I wouldn't worry about her being able to survive when you're gone.
Certainly express your concerns to her but it sounds like you've done a good job of launching her.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:12 PM

310 posts, read 447,496 times
I would not let her move back home. My daughter moved back in at age 24 "for six months." It is now three years! You will do a disservice to her. Your daughter is "launched." Don't let her boomerang back in. We never dreamed when we were their age to move back in with our parents, did we? No way.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:28 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,551,109 times
If the loan is large, I'd let her come and live with you and pay a rent. How much rent will determine her willingness to live with you.

How is the son doing on dating?

IMO, This is later part of the story of about Boomers and early chapters of our Echo.
We have a son, 32, launched, owns home, 200 miles from us. Also having issues with dating

Old 03-13-2017, 11:31 PM

7,052 posts, read 6,317,147 times
You have the room. You have the love. Just make conditions but don't turn her away.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:22 AM

320 posts, read 235,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
If the loan is large, I'd let her come and live with you and pay a rent. How much rent will determine her willingness to live with you.

IMO, This is later part of the story of about Boomers and early chapters of our Echo.
We have a son, 32, launched, owns home, 200 miles from us. Also having issues with dating
He has a girlfriend & I think he'd appreciate having a place to himself.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:30 AM

888 posts, read 891,123 times
There are many parents who are estranged from their adult children who would love to have your dilemma.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,760 posts, read 58,170,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post

I made it 'reasonable' if my kids wanted to come home. Total cost of keeping the home open (including taxes) divided by number of residents. No takers (Cheaper for them to live elsewhere)

Dating is not all it is cracked (?) up to be. I am SO HAPPY I never dated, nor my kids. (nor most of my friend's kids) Grow a meaningful and substantial relationship and let if flourish. No dating desired or required. (pretend relationship)

So far, so good. (I am very grateful, for myself and my kids fleeing the 'drama' of dating)

Seek and nourish a 'Keeper' (whether they work out or not), NEVER 'play-the-game' with someone else's precious well-being. All are valuable beyond measure. Some fit, some are a better fit for others. Nurture them, set them free to be MORE than YOU can ever love them. It works!

Old 03-14-2017, 02:29 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,930,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Dating is not all it is cracked (?) up to be. I am SO HAPPY I never dated, nor my kids. (nor most of my friend's kids) Grow a meaningful and substantial relationship and let if flourish. No dating desired or required. (pretend relationship)

So far, so good. (I am very grateful, for myself and my kids fleeing the 'drama' of dating)

Seek and nourish a 'Keeper' (whether they work out or not)
Isn't "dating" seeking and nourishing a keeper whether they work out or not? How do you find someone without dating?

Old 03-14-2017, 03:14 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,574,647 times
Your daughter has already lived away from home, and done it successfully.

This is not a step backward for her. It can be a huge step forward if you help her out.
Just set some ground rules and goals.

Short story:
I had a friend who got married in her mid-20s. Her husband did not keep up his end of the relationship (drugs, couldn't hold a job), and then my friend got pregnant. She was just starting out as a teacher, and couldn't afford to live on her own. She was very close with her family. They moved her back home, they helped her raise her daughter, she divorced her husband, she got her masters degree in education, and was able to save some money for her own house.
It would have been darned near impossible for her to do that without her parents' help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement