Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 05:28 PM

302 posts, read 182,424 times

Advertisements

I agree with cutting of federal funds for programs, even the ones that help people. It is up to us, especially those that have numerous homes, numerous cars and boats to make up the difference. You can then donate to something that you agree with rather than have our government spend your taxes on something you don't agree with. With $19,849,262,190 in debt (check the debt clock), we have to start somewhere.

As an aside, my mother was getting meals on wheels in SC and the food was inedible. She didn't want to cancel it because it would "hurt their feelings".

Old 03-20-2017, 05:30 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,079,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Good. Let the States step up their game. States can tailor programs unique to their own demographics, so that people are better served.
You would not be promoting that agenda if you lived in my state of R.I. The population of my state is roughly 100,000 and 1/3 of the population is receiving some form of welfare from heating assistance to food stamps. And it takes many state employees to administrate those programs which all these employees are pretty well paid and will retire with pensions for which are paid by the taxpayer. Add to that the low workforce participation in my state with the largest employer being healthcare which most healthcare facilities on hiring freezes, and a governor who likes to give away the farm with her latest endeavor is to give all states kids two free years of state college, the tax burden to maintain these entitlement programs will fall even heavier on the retirees shoulders which R.I. still remains one of the few states that tax both SS and pensions. Although there is a bill in the works to reduce taxes on SS and some pensions but I am not holding my breath!!

Old 03-20-2017, 05:32 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelliebell View Post
I agree with cutting of federal funds for programs, even the ones that help people. It is up to us, especially those that have numerous homes, numerous cars and boats to make up the difference. You can then donate to something that you agree with rather than have our government spend your taxes on something you don't agree with. With $19,849,262,190 in debt (check the debt clock), we have to start somewhere.

As an aside, my mother was getting meals on wheels in SC and the food was inedible. She didn't want to cancel it because it would "hurt their feelings".
You mean your mother found the food unappetizing. Those who are hungry will eat.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:41 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
You mean your mother found the food unappetizing. Those who are hungry will eat.
My mother fired them because the substitute driver pulled in the neighbor's driveway and came to the front door instead of the back. My mother was................odd when she wasn't being just plain mean.

Also, I sent MoW a check, I'd have to look but I think it was $20/week.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:47 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
A statement issued by Meals on Wheels America on Thursday notes that 35% of the revenues at the 5,000 or so local Meals on Wheels programs come via the Older Americans Act Nutrition Program.

Trump's budget outline says nothing about this program whatsoever.

What Trump's budget does propose is cutting is the corruption-prone Community Development Block Grant program, run out of Housing and Urban Development. Some state and local governments use some of that grant money, at their own discretion, to "augment funding for Meals on Wheels," according to the statement.

Nevertheless, when the New York Times reported on Trump's budget last Wednesday, they dispensed with such details, and simply said that CDBG "funds popular programs like Meals on Wheels, housing assistance and other community assistance efforts."

Old 03-20-2017, 08:24 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
You would not be promoting that agenda if you lived in my state of R.I. The population of my state is roughly 100,000 and 1/3 of the population is receiving some form of welfare from heating assistance to food stamps. And it takes many state employees to administrate those programs which all these employees are pretty well paid and will retire with pensions for which are paid by the taxpayer. Add to that the low workforce participation in my state with the largest employer being healthcare which most healthcare facilities on hiring freezes, and a governor who likes to give away the farm with her latest endeavor is to give all states kids two free years of state college, the tax burden to maintain these entitlement programs will fall even heavier on the retirees shoulders which R.I. still remains one of the few states that tax both SS and pensions. Although there is a bill in the works to reduce taxes on SS and some pensions but I am not holding my breath!!

According to the Census Bureau, the population of Rhode Island is just over 1,000,000. As for retirees being overburdened with taxes, I imagine they'll start to vote with their feet as the burden becomes evermore intolerable.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:44 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Good. Let the States step up their game. States can tailor programs unique to their own demographics, so that people are better served.
Some states would probably choose not to offer a program at all.

That's the real reason the federal government does so much in terms of poverty programs. The states lost much of their power and authority over the years by failing to step up to the plate and resolve these issues.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
My mom is in assisted living in Rhode Island. I manage her affairs so I'm pretty up on Rhode Island taxes.

For the 2017 tax year, Rhode Island exempts the first $15K of income for individuals with a gross income less than $80K or joint returns less than $100K. That's a new law.

In the 2016 tax year, Rhode Island exempted all Social Security income for gross income under those $80K individual return /$100K joint return.

The bottom Rhode Island tax bracket is 3.75% for income up to $60K. Most retirees won't pay much in the way of state income taxes since Social Security and the first $15K of everything else isn't taxed at all. Property taxes are a different story.

The Rhode Island poverty rate is pretty close to the national rate. 14-ish percent. About 30% qualify for Medicaid/CHIP after ACA Medicaid expansion. Massachusetts is 25%. Rhode Island is pretty average. Like all the ACA opt-in states, they're going to get crushed if the Republican "reforms" happen.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Maybe it's time we all donated to charity: Meals On Wheels.

Or volunteered.

It'd be nice if farms would donate "excess' produce for them to add to their meals, reducing costs of buying produce form afar.

Charity begins at home. I think I will re-evaluate my charitable giving and think more for my LOCAL MOW.

Just thinkin'

We (farmers) have been doing that for decades (as legally allowed by local health Depts.) We (soup kitchen and food bank and MoW volunteers) also daily get donations from Local Grocers and food service / institutional kitchens (as we have for decades). There is an Army of volunteers who work on the 'sourcing side' of most agencies. Some are ex-food provision professionals who know shippers / commercial clients who donate huge qtys around the globe. (as allowed by health depts) We have a local 'gleaner' group who come back through the fields after harvest, and get produce for the poor and soup kitchens.

We have a wonderful 'Food Security' network that I have helped with. It links growers, distribution, and the needy and provides LOTS of classes / demonstrations on health / cooking nutrition (on a very low budget).

Yes, PLEASE help AND send money. 2 agencies I support provide over 400 meals / day (that is REALLY crazy to 'buy' for. In our very little town of 11,000, we feed ~ 50 2x / week, some have been coming for decades. Unfortunately our volunteers are OLD!!! except for the homeschoolers (~30% of our serving staff, and 70% of clean-up crew). As homeschoolers from 'days-of-old' we did soup kitchens + elderly care (plus were caring for our own disabled grandparents) It was a good thing for our kids (10+ yrs beyond college and still very engaged in community service)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
A statement issued by Meals on Wheels America on Thursday notes that 35% of the revenues at the 5,000 or so local Meals on Wheels programs come via the Older Americans Act Nutrition Program.

Trump's budget outline says nothing about this program whatsoever.

What Trump's budget does propose is cutting is the corruption-prone Community Development Block Grant program, run out of Housing and Urban Development. Some state and local governments use some of that grant money, at their own discretion, to "augment funding for Meals on Wheels," according to the statement.

Nevertheless, when the New York Times reported on Trump's budget last Wednesday, they dispensed with such details, and simply said that CDBG "funds popular programs like Meals on Wheels, housing assistance and other community assistance efforts."

Thx so much for bringing this element of fact.
I am SO SICK of US news, one yr away was GREAT!!! I need a script for internet news "News of significance ONLY", minus USA and UK politics, Minus any mention of Trump, Obama, Clinton, Minus and 'sensation' / headline / top selling / no radio or TV talk shows...(even Brinker gets Bleeped when ranting...)

Old 03-20-2017, 09:23 PM

320 posts, read 233,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelliebell View Post

Oh my, how heartless. People will not step up to fund social programs even when it's necessary to help seniors get the basics to thrive. So many are in need. Sounds like you wouldn't even do it for your mother, who herself had to rely on Meals on Wheels! The poorest seniors--the most fragile among us--depend on programs like Meals on Wheels to literally survive. Many of the recipients live alone, have no family, are immobile and rely on the food and the visits. That important check-in may be the only human contact that senior has all week. How soulless can we possibly get in the richest country on Earth!

The $3 million of taxpayer money spent on Meals on Wheels annually is the same amount Trump just spent on golf weekends EVERY weekend to Mar-A-Lago since he's been President. If you want to "start somewhere" on cutting expenses, how about starting with Trump?

Last edited by crillon; 03-20-2017 at 10:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement