Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelliebell View Post
As an aside, my mother was getting meals on wheels in SC and the food was inedible. She didn't want to cancel it because it would "hurt their feelings".
Yes, I agree with this. My late mother was living in RI as a senior, and many times while visiting her, I saw the Meals On Wheels meal that was delivered to her...not much of a meal! She tried it on again, off again, until she gave it up for the poor quality. Even recently, I have seen the same crummy food delivered to another friend in another state. Pure rubbish. If this meal is supposed to be the one highlight of the day, it is a FAIL. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
If you want to "start somewhere" on cutting expenses, how about starting with Trump?
Mr Trump is a senior citizen himself of 70 years, still working, and would like to continue working till the age of 78. He is taking no salary. Are you doing the same? No? Then no wonder you don't believe the private sector would step up to do better than federal funding, which is a joke.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 PM

834 posts, read 1,216,853 times
"If they are hungry, cut benefits to programs that feed them.

If they are sick and elderly, deny them healthcare.

If they don't speak your tongue or are of different faith, deport them."

Republiconnians 13:2-4

Old 03-20-2017, 11:43 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times
What I would like to see large cuts are:
1. the amount of money allowing Trump to have three White Houses----Washington, Trump Tower New York, and
Florida.
2. the large Trump family gatherings at Trump properties for dinners which I am sure are tax payer sponsored and
require security.
3. the astronomical tax loopholes for corporations, oil depletion allowances, and the tax breaks given for incompetence
and multiple bankruptcies. See Trump 2005 tax return on $153 m of reported income on which through write offs
for his bankruptcies 12 years earlier he still paid 2.5 Million in taxes.

Let work on those cutbacks and changes----and we can keep meals on wheels.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:21 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Do Presidents have much choice when it comes to Security Details?

A threat assessment is made and then a plan implemented.

I would think President Trump might require additional security simply because of the way people feel about him.

Maybe a Constitutional Amendment as to family size needs to be added?

Old 03-21-2017, 01:39 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
What I would like to see large cuts are:
1. the amount of money allowing Trump to have three White Houses----Washington, Trump Tower New York, and
Florida.
2. the large Trump family gatherings at Trump properties for dinners which I am sure are tax payer sponsored and
require security.
3. the astronomical tax loopholes for corporations, oil depletion allowances, and the tax breaks given for incompetence
and multiple bankruptcies. See Trump 2005 tax return on $153 m of reported income on which through write offs
for his bankruptcies 12 years earlier he still paid 2.5 Million in taxes.

Let work on those cutbacks and changes----and we can keep meals on wheels.
Absolutely! Well said and I totally agree.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:43 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Do Presidents have much choice when it comes to Security Details?

A threat assessment is made and then a plan implemented.

I would think President Trump might require additional security simply because of the way people feel about him.

Maybe a Constitutional Amendment as to family size needs to be added?
What Trump has a choice about is choosing to take every weekend off, after stating that he would hardly ever take off when President because he will have so much work to do, and after criticizing Obama's vacations.
What he has a choice about is keeping his family all together in the White House where they are supposed to be.
What Trump has a choice about is working for this country instead of bilking it for everything he can.
Oh yes, wouldn't he just LOVE a constitutional amendment to accommodate him...be careful what you wish for, that may be on the agenda too.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:30 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Maybe it's time we all donated to charity: Meals On Wheels.

Or volunteered.

It'd be nice if farms would donate "excess' produce for them to add to their meals, reducing costs of buying produce form afar.

I know many who rely{ied} on meals on wheels.

It's a good program. SO much for Trump "Making america Great Again" when he refuses to feed people who have worked and served this country and now need help.

Yet we seem { or at least one leading New cast froup} to be upset that we Can't do enough for South Sudan people who are starving.

Charity begins at home. I think I will re-evaluate my charitable giving and think more for my LOCAL MOW.

Just thinkin'

GREAT post!

Old 03-21-2017, 02:34 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Does anyone that replied to this thread who agrees to these cutbacks have an elderly relative who relies on meals on wheels to have a nourishing meal at least once daily? didn't think so...

Old 03-21-2017, 04:50 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The bottom Rhode Island tax bracket is 3.75% for income up to $60K. Most retirees won't pay much in the way of state income taxes since Social Security and the first $15K of everything else isn't taxed at all. Property taxes are a different story.

The Rhode Island poverty rate is pretty close to the national rate. 14-ish percent. About 30% qualify for Medicaid/CHIP after ACA Medicaid expansion. Massachusetts is 25%. Rhode Island is pretty average. Like all the ACA opt-in states, they're going to get crushed if the Republican "reforms" happen.
It may be true that the poverty rate in my state is close to the national rate, but it is the very generous entitlements that can never been sustained. A single non working mother of two is at the top tier of those who would be eligible for all these entitlements which would have a cash value of $38,000. Included in that package of entitlements is roughly $6,000 in cash = $500/month, may not see much but when you have a very low rent with included utilities, healthcare, food stamps, WIC, cell phone, free school breakfast and lunch, and can send your kids to summer camp and other activities for free that family can live relatively well on that entitlement package. And this is not about deserving or not deserving these entitlements, it is about sustainability at this level.

You have a point about Republican reforms, but when you combine that with Democratic spending practices this only results in more tax burden on the taxpayer. R.I. like MA is a very blue state, and when you have a Democrat mayor of Providence who is a very outspoken advocate of and the power to keep this city a sanctuary city and will risk loosing Federal funding for entitlement programs to do so, with the loss of Federal funding who do you think is going to now be burdened with not only the cost of entitlements for legal residents but the additional cost for those entitlements for illegal residents ??? It will the taxpayers of not only Providence, the burden will also fall on the rest of the taxpayers of the state because these Providence residents legal and illegal are not only residents of Providence they are residents of the State of R.I.. And if you think retirees won't feel that hit think again.

I ran my numbers through various retirement tax calculators, and with 80% income replacement derived from SS, a FERS pension, and TSP and at that point my health insurance is paid for with after tax dollars, I will pay pretty close to the same Federal and State taxes as I do now with a 20% lower income. I will get a $500 annual break on my property taxes, but I figure by the time I retire with property revaluations every two years I will likely see a bump of around $1,500. So even with the $500 break I will likely be paying minimally $1,000 more annually than I do now with 20% less income.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:39 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yes, I agree with this. My late mother was living in RI as a senior, and many times while visiting her, I saw the Meals On Wheels meal that was delivered to her...not much of a meal! She tried it on again, off again, until she gave it up for the poor quality. Even recently, I have seen the same crummy food delivered to another friend in another state. Pure rubbish. If this meal is supposed to be the one highlight of the day, it is a FAIL. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

Mr Trump is a senior citizen himself of 70 years, still working, and would like to continue working till the age of 78. He is taking no salary. Are you doing the same? No? Then no wonder you don't believe the private sector would step up to do better than federal funding, which is a joke.
I have read that Mr. Trump is receiving a salary. So apparently, once again, something he has said is not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement