Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:25 AM

320 posts, read 234,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yes, I agree with this. My late mother was living in RI as a senior, and many times while visiting her, I saw the Meals On Wheels meal that was delivered to her...not much of a meal! She tried it on again, off again, until she gave it up for the poor quality. Even recently, I have seen the same crummy food delivered to another friend in another state. Pure rubbish. If this meal is supposed to be the one highlight of the day, it is a FAIL. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

Mr Trump is a senior citizen himself of 70 years, still working, and would like to continue working till the age of 78. He is taking no salary. Are you doing the same? No? Then no wonder you don't believe the private sector would step up to do better than federal funding, which is a joke.
Oh, please. Trump promised--like so many other broken promises-- to take no salary, but his press secretary said last week in the daily briefing that he WILL BE TAKING a salary until the end of the year & then he'll decide what to do. But, that's small change compared to the security costs he is racking up at $10 MILLION dollars a month! Plus, the millions being spent on security for the absent "First Lady" in Trump Tower. At the rate he's going on excessive trips for he and his family--including golf trips EVERY weekend and one to Aspen this past weekend--Trump and his "royal family" will spend half a BILLION dollars in security costs in one term.

By the way, Trump's monthly security costs of $10 million are the YEARLY costs for other presidents.

Last edited by crillon; 03-21-2017 at 08:53 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 08:27 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The new Trump budget is out and Meals on Wheels is on the chopping board.

STATEMENT CLARIFYING FEDERAL FUNDING TO MEALS ON WHEELS
I suggest you pony up and save it.
I believe the federal funding affected for Meals on Wheels is a small portion of its expenses.
If every person who is complaining would volunteer their car, time and gas instead of wanting to use other peoples money for their charitable desires it would more than make up for the loss.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:28 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have read that Mr. Trump is receiving a salary. So apparently, once again, something he has said is not true.
Isn't this a Constitutional requirement but he is free to donate it.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Isn't this a Constitutional requirement but he is free to donate it.
But, Trump is not "donating" it--he is taking it for the entire year, according to his press secretary. We'll see what he does, but his track record of telling the truth is not good, to say the least.

Last edited by crillon; 03-21-2017 at 08:57 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 08:32 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
This is the latest I have but I don't follow politics that closely...

"The president's intention right now is to donate his salary at the end of the year," Spicer said, in response to a question from One America News Network reporter Trey Yingst. "And he has kindly asked that you all help determine where that goes. The way that we can avoid scrutiny is to let the press corps determine where it should go."

What happened to Trump camp's 3 big promises to donate money to charity? | cleveland.com

Old 03-21-2017, 08:41 AM

Meals on Wheels feeds 500,000 veterans a year.
Source: http://www.militarytimes.com/article...els-trump-cuts

Last edited by crillon; 03-21-2017 at 09:00 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:

"The president's intention right now is to donate his salary at the end of the year," Spicer said, in response to a question from One America News Network reporter Trey Yingst. "And he has kindly asked that you all help determine where that goes. The way that we can avoid scrutiny is to let the press corps determine where it should go."

What happened to Trump camp's 3 big promises to donate money to charity? | cleveland.com
Trump makes a lot of promises he doesn't keep. And, let's be honest here--he is a proven liar. Let's see what he does--that's if he is still in office.

Last edited by crillon; 03-21-2017 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 09:05 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelliebell View Post
I agree with cutting of federal funds for programs, even the ones that help people. It is up to us, especially those that have numerous homes, numerous cars and boats to make up the difference. You can then donate to something that you agree with rather than have our government spend your taxes on something you don't agree with. With $19,849,262,190 in debt (check the debt clock), we have to start somewhere.

As an aside, my mother was getting meals on wheels in SC and the food was inedible. She didn't want to cancel it because it would "hurt their feelings".
Why is better to help these people through private charity than simply to provide a program that provides uniform benefits for everyone? (Its not)

How do we know that the money raised through private charity will be sufficient to meet the needs? (We don't)

Why should the burden of assisting the poor fall only on the shoulders of those who want to pay? (It shouldn't)

If "we have to start somewhere" not feeding the poor and elderly is a lousy place to start.

How long did you spend thinking about this before you posted?

Last edited by markg91359; 03-21-2017 at 10:33 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 09:47 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Hmmmm. I've heard this one for many years.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:57 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
MOW is not only for the poor.

I knew people with a 7 figure net worth receiving them.

I still haven't seen where they are cutting MOW. I see they want to cut the program that gives some funding to MOW. Not the same thing.
All you have to do is go to the P&OC forum (yes, scary, I know) and read the hundreds of posts already there, which now have gone in several cycles so that it's been posted probably 20 times that...

1. Trump's Proposed Budget cuts the $3 Community Development Block Grant, which provides 3% of MoW's funding, as well as other assistance like housing grants and whatnot;

2. It likely isn't going anywhere because for most Republicans in Congress Trump's Proposed Budget is dead on arrival.

3. The purpose behind cutting the CDBG is the perception that a lot of the money is not used the way it was envisioned when it was set up in the 1960s. The money goes to the states, who decide how to use it.

4. A quick trip to MoW's own website shows that the other 97% is funded through corporate and private donations.

5. The meals are not always free. People who have money pay something for them.

I'm not a Trump fan, but this is a lot of drama over not much of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement