Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:33 PM

711 posts, read 682,785 times

Advertisements

The answer to do I like them is yes and no.

I've been wearing Marchon Airlock frames for quite a while. Between the frames, lenses, progressive bifocals, and transitions they weren't cheap when I purchased them so I've held off replacing them since my perscrip hasn't really changed.

I do like the lightness of the frame on my face and my nose. The down side is the lenses tend toward the smaller side so the reading area of the perscrip isn't that large. It's often easier for me to take them off to read. They are very delicate so you have to be very careful handling them (especially when cleaning the lense).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 07:39 PM

209 posts, read 415,286 times
Love my frameless glasses! They're progressive lenses (no-line bifocals). I didn't get a frame that connects to the lenses with little nuts & bolts like the frame in the top-right, I got a frame that connects to the lenses like the one in the top left on this page: Eyeglasses Online - Buy Prescription Glasses & Eyeglass Frames | Zenni Optical (didn't get them from Zenni, but from a local optical shop. Several people in other threads have said they had good luck with Zenni, but I'm just afraid of screwing it up.) I've heard that the kind with the little nuts & bolts come loose but YMMV. I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I'm not hard on them. I've worn glasses for longer than I care to remember - when I got my first pair I was young (& dumb!) enough be excited about getting them!

The optician will want to sell you the high-index lenses & you should definitely consider this if you're nearsighted & have a high prescription. That material will be thinner on the edges & won't be as thick ("coke-bottle lenses"). Also, ask about having the edges rolled & polished. It makes them disappear from the side view.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:43 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,537,035 times
I disagree strongly that frameless/rimless glasses are 'out of date'. Frameless glasses look a million times better on most people than prominent plastic rimmed glasses.

They are only 'out of date' if you are a mindless slave to fads. One does not look 'out of date' wearing frameless glasses, instead one usually looks significantly more attractive and good-looking with frameless glasses.

I love small rimless/frameless glasses and small oval-ish wire rims.

So many people, in following the fad, look dorky and much less attractive in many of the plastic frames. And many of the plastic frames are too large in size.

Men look very attractive in rimless/frameless glasses. I really dislike many of the plastic frames on men. There are a good number of plastic frames which do look good on women.

I cannot wait until the fad of prominent plastic frames (often square-ish in shape for men) go OUT of fad.

As for durability, I've had a good number of rimless/frameless glasses, and they are quite durable and easy to wear. And lightweight is an big advantage. I also have small wire rimmed oval-ish glasses which are great. And I've had both frameless/rimless and small wire rims in progressive bifocals.

I also like small oval-ish wire rims on men. Small wire rims are always good-looking. There are a few intellectual looking, tortoise shell in color, roundish (but not really round, definitely not square) plastic rims which look good on some men.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-22-2017 at 07:57 PM..

Old 03-22-2017, 08:17 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,305,035 times
Before my lasik surgery, I wore very thick glasses (even though they were the ultra-thin lenses). I didnt have frameless glasses because of the weight of the lenses but I did have glasses that had narrow rims on top and were rimless on bottom. I liked them a lot.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,946,563 times
I've posted before that I wear Silhouette frames and am on my third pair after about a decade. I like the frameless eyeglasses because they are lightweight, because the nose piece is secure on my (apparently) bridgeless nose, and because after decades of seeing my face through heavy frames, it now emerges more clearly.

I have not found my frameless eyeglasses to be fragile. I have used polycarbon lenses for a number of years now, and prefer them. I find the frameless glasses to be less noticeable when I wear them. It is almost as if I can't feel them on my face at all.

I would not wear anything else.

I wear blended bifocals.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:10 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,179,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Side note to consider:

Maybe some seniors don't care about current fashion, but frameless glasses are very out of date. If you insist on frameless glasses that is your choice, but pay attention to ads and TV shows. You will note that the current trend for the last several years is plastic frames similar to what we wore in the 60s. Mrs5150 and I wear them. They are light, comfortable and durable. They look good on us. We have no desire to dress like we're 35, but it doesn't hurt to look up to date. I'm due for a new pair and they will be similar to what I wore in 1967- in black.

Honestly, wearing frameless glasses is not going to make people think you are not wearing glasses.

I went against my better judgment and bought a pair of the plastic framed glasses that have been "in" for a while now. I hated them. I have a strong prescription and even though the optical place used the light polycarbon lenses, they felt too heavy on my face. Plus I have a small face and they overwhelmed me. I brought them back and just wear my contacts most of the time and my old progressives when I'm home. Unfortunately I must get a new pair as the reading part is not working well anymore.

I will go with rimless or the titanium frames that are practically invisible. While some want to make a statement with their glasses, I prefer them to be as unnoticeable as possible.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:18 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,867,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I need new prescription eyeglasses and wonder how good the frameless ones are. Do they break easily? If I drop them, are they broken for sure?

Is the prescription as good as glasses with frames? Especially with bifocals?

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.
I'm an optician, and we sell these in our optical. This style of frame is known as a drill mount. Although they have the benefits of being lightweight and flexible, I don't recommend them to patients unless they are kind to their glasses. Patients who are rough on their glasses do better with a full frame that protect the lens around the entire perimeter. Drill mounts are prone to cracking at the drill holes, but they don't do that as much as they used to. In our optical, they sold like crazy a couple of years ago, but they have become less popular due to their fragility and high price compared to full frames.

If you like the drill mount style but dislike its fragile nature, you can split the difference and opt for a grooved rimless. A grooved rimless has a frame protecting half the lens (usually the top half) and a strong string lining a groove which holds the bottom half of the lens in the frame. I like the grooved rimless myself. I wear a progressive and having no frame at the bottom makes me feel like I have more reading correction. Both the grooved rimless and drill mounts require that you use polycarbonate, Trivex, or hi-index lenses. Plain plastic or glass material cannot be used with these lens styles.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:43 AM

220 posts, read 467,509 times
I have the rimless silhouettes , and couldn't love them more! I've worn glasses since I was about 10, and I've had these fro over ten years. They just have my distance prescription, so I should get new ones now that I need the bifocal/progressive, but I usually wear contacts during the day so it's not an issue.

They are incredibly light-weight and comfortable, and I like how I can lay on my side on the couch watching tv and they'll kind of bend/conform on me head.

As far as durability, they don't even compare to traditional frames.....mine have been basically indestructible. It's kind of like a willow tree, they'll bend rather than break!

Best example, a few years ago we had a huge snow storm, bus couldn't make it into the neighborhood so I had to go meet it and pick up kids. I had my glasses on the top of my head as I got out of the car to walk to bus, and in the crazy storm they fell off. I realized later and kept going back to the area looking for them for days. Two weeks later (!), as the snow banks created on the sides of the road by the plows melted, I found them. They had been plowed off the road. Perfectly fine, one tiny chip out of the edge of the lens but otherwise no damage.

I love them.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:41 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,860,635 times
I love my frameless glasses. I have always had a pair, they are the Silhouettes frames. I don't wear them every day and they are the progressive bifocals. They work just fine.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:15 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,212,902 times
I don't see them as any more fragile but I've never broken or bent glasses since wearing in the 1st grade. I think it makes a difference if you wear them ALL the time and only take them off at bedtime versus on and off your face and keeping them in different places where they could be sat on, etc.

So, more in your "lifestyle" than in the glasses themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement