Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 08:41 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
We first moved from PA to a 55+ in SC, just south of Charlotte, NC, but have now moved to another 55+ in DE. There are many reasons, but suffice it to say that we much prefer DE over SC. The basic property taxes in SC were lower than PA, but what they don't tell you is that most of the Carolinas have a personal property tax on cars, boats and RVs. And the newer your car the higher the taxes. They are supposed to go down with with depreciation, but not very fast. I bought a 2011 GMC Terrain new and my PP tax was about $400/year, and it wasn't a fancy model....SLE2. When we left SC in 2015 it was still over $350/year. And you don't get your registration tag and card until you pay them. We had 2 other much older cars (1985 and 2003) and between the 3 we were paying about $500/year in PP taxes. Plus the 8.25% sales tax because of the 2% local tax added on to the state 6.25%, which is on a lot more stuff than in PA (like clothes).

I'm not advocating for DE as we do have some cold weather and a little snow, but check out SC carefully as things aren't as rosy as they would like you to believe when it comes to taxes.

I agree and somehow it seems unethical to me to buy a new car, pay sales tax on it when you buy it and then continue to pay personal property tax on that same vehicle every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 08:43 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
If I'm retiring to either South Carolina or Florida, I definitely want to be "right on the beach," as they say on that beach house show. Otherwise, what's the point?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Has anyone made a decision between these two states as to which is better as far as SS and taxes. Also did you buy into a over 55 community, and which one did you choose and why.

We have been looking in Florida but the sinkholes are in issue in some areas that we like and traffic and heat are also something we are thinking about. SC seems to be a more relaxed area, Conway or Little River look nice
Appreciate all advice.....this is getting very confusing

The only part of Florida that has sinkholes is south central: Brooksville and those area. I have lived in SW Florida on and off for 50 years and we have no sinkholes here. I don't believe Orlando or northern Florida does either.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Property Taxes and Insurance are the downside of living in Florida.

Everyone I know who is a senior and owns a home pays very little in property taxes especially when you consider the Northeast. We have Homestead Exemption here and I believe there is also senior exemptions. My mother was paying $4K a year in 1972 for a house on Long Island. She is paying less than a $1K a year for a 3 BR, 2 1/2 bath with a pool in Cape Coral, FL.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
We spent the winter of 2016 in the Tampa and Fort Lauderdale areas, never again, traffic was crazy, and that is coming from someone who lived in NJ and Philly. The traffic was not only during rush hour, but anytime during the day, not only on the interstate but on local streets. We stayed in a place 10 miles from the beach and it would take us over 1 hour to drive the 10 miles with 90% on the interstate!!

Rent a place for a while in the area and see how you like it before making such an investment.

We spent the winter in Phoenix this year much better.

Thank you for NOT coming to Florida this winter. Traffic is crazy during the winter because of the influx of snowbirds like yourselves who come down every year and stay till Easter. After that it goes back to normal and us locals breathe a sign of relief that we can get across town in less than an hour.

Some of you talk as if Florida is such a horrible place but you seem to forget there is a reason why snowbirds flock down here every winter and retire here. Plenty of sunshine, low property taxes, decent beaches and you will never have to shovel snow. Yes we have the occasional hurricane but my area hasn't had a direct hit since Donna in 1960.

I hate humidity but I don't get all the people who are on here talking about how high the humidity is IN THE WINTER. Right now it's 77 degrees with 53% humidity. The "feel like" temp is 77. Not bad for March 27th. A few days last week the humidity was 14-25%. I rarely have the a/c on in January-April except for the occasional humid day and I hate being hot. Last April was the most perfect month; it was cool in the evenings & early mornings (around 60-65) and then during the day it was in the 80's with low humidity.

Yes summers are very humid but I've seen it worse on Long Island and eastern NC sometimes, the big difference is our summers are much longer. That's why we have a/c and swimming pools.

As for crime, like anywhere else in this country it depends on where you go. Every city has its "bad" areas and Florida is no exception. I've been here 50+ years without being the victim of a crime and neither has anybody in my family.

I second the recommendation of renting in both SC and FL for at least a year to get a feel for the states.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:30 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The only part of Florida that has sinkholes is south central: Brooksville and those area. I have lived in SW Florida on and off for 50 years and we have no sinkholes here. I don't believe Orlando or northern Florida does either.
Google sinkholes in Orlando.....seems to be a lot of them. There is also a map that shows where sinkholes occur in Florida

Old 03-27-2017, 09:36 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Thanks to all who responded to my thread, you guys are very helpful. Think we will be heading to Florida, don`t know exactly when though. I am sure we will be renting before we buy. Checking out some of the over 55 communities

Old 03-27-2017, 10:06 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Summers in SC are AWFUL, too. They don't call it the 'armpit of the South' for nuthin'!
I have never - in my entire life - been as uncomfortable as during a June visit to Hilton Head.

Both SC and Florida are likely to have 4-5 months where no normal human being can be outside working in any way (or exercising).

Old 03-27-2017, 11:51 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,394,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
We first moved from PA to a 55+ in SC, just south of Charlotte, NC, but have now moved to another 55+ in DE. There are many reasons, but suffice it to say that we much prefer DE over SC. The basic property taxes in SC were lower than PA, but what they don't tell you is that most of the Carolinas have a personal property tax on cars, boats and RVs. And the newer your car the higher the taxes. They are supposed to go down with with depreciation, but not very fast. I bought a 2011 GMC Terrain new and my PP tax was about $400/year, and it wasn't a fancy model....SLE2. When we left SC in 2015 it was still over $350/year. And you don't get your registration tag and card until you pay them. We had 2 other much older cars (1985 and 2003) and between the 3 we were paying about $500/year in PP taxes. Plus the 8.25% sales tax because of the 2% local tax added on to the state 6.25%, which is on a lot more stuff than in PA (like clothes).

Another thing is insurance. The entire state actually pays extra because of the hurricanes on the coast that keep damaging the large very expensive houses. Our house insurance was about $800/year for a $350K house (nowhere near the coast). But a hail storm came through in 2011 and the insurance went up to over $1100/year. That was State Farm, but everybody's went up and some more than that. We had been with SF for over 35 years, so we probably got a "break". Our house insurance in DE, based on the same $350K house with State Farm is $385/year. We have also found that our car insurances are also a bit lower than SC.

In DE there is NO sales tax and NO PP taxes. We have the same $350K house, 7 years newer, and our basic property taxes are less than SC. We live in an unincorporated area, so we don't have extra town taxes. There is an income tax but SS is not taxed and you have a $12,500 exemption for each person over 65 against all other retirement income. There is also a property tax reduction for seniors over 65 who have lived in the state for 3 years. (Although the last and current democratic governors are chomping at the bit to cut that.)

I'm not advocating for DE as we do have some cold weather and a little snow, but check out SC carefully as things aren't as rosy as they would like you to believe when it comes to taxes.
A few things. SC also does not tax SS income, and allows a $15k deduction per person for any other retirement income. The state sales tax is 6%. Homeowners over the age of 65 get a homestead exemption which excludes the first $50k of their home's assessed value from taxation. Homeowners do not pay school taxes on their primary residence. You should also mention that while you paid property taxes on the new GMC you bought, the sales tax was capped at $300 which can save thousands on a new car purchase. It's not a bad place for retirees.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:20 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I have never - in my entire life - been as uncomfortable as during a June visit to Hilton Head.

Both SC and Florida are likely to have 4-5 months where no normal human being can be outside working in any way (or exercising).
True, but the same can be said of many states in the summer, including my own. At least there's water nearby (both the ocean and a pool, ideally) for relief in the two in question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement