Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 05:09 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times

Advertisements

I had always planned to retire at age 55, when my full pension from a career in government kicked in. Got a pleasant surprise at age 49, when the retirement plan was changed that would allow me to retire with full benefits (70% of salary) at age 50.

At the time, my husband owned his own profitable contracting company.

I told him the news of my early retirement option and that I planned to take it. At first he said congrats, but that he wasn't ready to retire. I didn't pressure him one way or the other.

After 3 months, he told me he was ready for a new adventure. He started taking steps to sell his business. The month after my retirement we sold our home, threw the golf clubs in our car and hit the road for a cross-country trip, not sure of our final destination.

That was 14 years ago and neither of us regretted our early retirement. But I was glad I didn't push him into selling his company. He built that company over 18 years and it was his decision to make. Of course we were ages 50/51 and I knew that was truly an early retirement age; not sure if I'd felt differently at age 65.

I will say this, while we are both active with no big health issues, we are now aged 64/65 and flying from US to Europe is far more taxing than it was 15 years ago (and we fly business class). I am a firm believer in retiring early, having a few more adventures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 05:20 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
By the time I got to 65 I started to notice people I knew who suddenly had heart attacks, strokes, cancer, or just dropped dead.

The problem is that you really don't know when your time is up.

I think you should retire as soon as financially possible. For most people that is age 65 because of Medicare.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:47 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
He obviously doesn't want to do it at any age. Whenever I wanted something as a child and would ask my mother, the answer was usually, "later". Of course later never happened.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:51 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
He keeps saying...
What's the best way to handle a situation like this...?
parallel lives
Living Parallel Lives - Neil Rosenthal

Old 03-24-2017, 05:54 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
My husband and I are both 65. I've been working since I'm 15 years old and, during my professional years, I was in sr management positions in corporations and academia, and then ran my own consulting firm while raising 3 children. I now freelance as a consultant part-time, but I'm now feeling it's time to smell the roses, travel, and just live. My husband, on the other hand, has his own security software business (works from home, as I do) and has no interest in travel or "having fun" for another 10 years or more! I keep telling him we are not at an age where anything is guaranteed, especially health, and now is the time to start on that bucket list. He keeps saying...we'll travel in 10 years. Sigh...

What's the best way to handle a situation like this one and have any of you dealt with the same dilemma?
Retire, travel with friends or by yourself.

My husband is a stay-at-home type and when I retire in December, if he doesn't want to go do something, fine, stay at home.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:21 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
We own a business too. We get paid royalties so unless we sell we will have checks coming till perpetuity.
So why retire? We love what we do. And are good at it. I'd like to work till I'm 70, in good health and look much younger. Like to keep the brain going and meeting new people. Some of this travel is paid for by our business.
DH doesn't want to go places as much as me, he traveled more than me before we got married.

So I travel with friends. Or by myself. Actually meet women traveling alone on cruise ships and make new friends that way.

So get out there and go! He might see how much fun you are having and want to join you.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:03 AM

973 posts, read 915,165 times
In 10 more years (if you even get there...who knows what'll happen tomorrow), flying around to visit and explore other places will be more of a burden than if you did it earlier. If he's unwilling to do it and wants to spend his twilight years tied to a desk and computer, that's his prerogative. Go do what you want to do with a friend or by yourself. If your husband thinks it's wasting money, kindly remind him that you can't take your money with you to your grave. That's not to say you should be irresponsible with finances, but it's time to enjoy life!

Old 03-24-2017, 11:44 AM

320 posts, read 234,240 times
Thank you all for the great advice. I think I do have to recognize my DH may never want to travel...and I have to get over the feeling that I somehow need "permission" to go do it. Life is short and uncertain--that much I know for sure--and we all need to "carpe diem," because if we don't, we'll have regrets and have noone to blame, but ourselves!

Old 03-24-2017, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 774 times
Life is short! There are numerous Women's Travel companies. You may meet a new travel buddy. My DH and I are going on our 1st Rick Steves Tour and from what I've read - many women travel independently on these tours also. Start planning a trip. Who knows - your DH may decide to join you and if not - make the best of your new adventure.

Happy Travels.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:37 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Do any of you who fly to Europe or Asia have qualms and fears about flying due to terrorism on planes?

The latest being that terrorists plan to put explosives into the batteries of laptop computers or tablets, which is why the very recent ban on carrying computers on airplanes has been instituted by some airlines.

Fear of terrorism could be one reason why crillon's husband does not wish to travel to Europe, even if he does not admit it and even if he does not speak about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement