Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:25 PM

304 posts, read 225,866 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both 65. I've been working since I'm 15 years old and, during my professional years, I was in sr management positions in corporations and academia, and then ran my own consulting firm while raising 3 children. I now freelance as a consultant part-time, but I'm now feeling it's time to smell the roses, travel, and just live. My husband, on the other hand, has his own security software business (works from home, as I do) and has no interest in travel or "having fun" for another 10 years or more! I keep telling him we are not at an age where anything is guaranteed, especially health, and now is the time to start on that bucket list. He keeps saying...we'll travel in 10 years. Sigh...

What's the best way to handle a situation like this one and have any of you dealt with the same dilemma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 10:40 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,904,573 times
Go smell the roses!!!! Buy a ticket and go!

Old 03-23-2017, 10:47 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,693,809 times
Is your hubby wiling to take one or two short vacations a year? That might help.

If not do what Yellowsnow suggests. Go on your own. Check to see if your college alumni situation offers overseas trips or cruises ( mine does). Check into local travel clubs, or senior centers who may do trips. Check with relatives, friends or just go on your own. A lot can happen in ten years.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:49 PM

You know, that's exactly what my 95 year old MIL said to me. She wrote a note in my birthday card this year saying this was a pivotal year and to "go travel and have fun"! She knows at her age that you get to a point when you can't travel, or don't want to do it anymore. At a certain age I'm sure the thought of an 8 hour flight somewhere is not appealing.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:52 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,530,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
this was a pivotal year and to "go travel and have fun"! She knows at her age that you get to a point when you can't travel, or don't want to do it anymore. At a certain age I'm sure the thought of an 8 hour flight somewhere is not appealing.
And as you probably know, that time can come WAY before age 91 or 95.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
And as you probably know, that time can come WAY before age 91 or 95.
Oh, exactly!! This is why I'm feeling some urgency. The weird thing is my husband had cancer surgery 2 years ago and I really thought that would be life changing for him, but it wasn't. He loves to work. But, I am done. I find no pleasure in it anymore.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:05 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,506,979 times
At 75 his response will either be to wait a few more years or he doesn't feel like traveling at that age. Some people just don't want to retire. I retired as soon as I turned 60 and I have absolutely no regrets. But 75 is really getting to that point in time when travel will be more difficult. If you're financially set, there is no reason to delay.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Is your hubby wiling to take one or two short vacations a year? That might help.

If not do what Yellowsnow suggests. Go on your own. Check to see if your college alumni situation offers overseas trips or cruises ( mine does). Check into local travel clubs, or senior centers who may do trips. Check with relatives, friends or just go on your own. A lot can happen in ten years.
I can get him to do one trip, I think.

I do travel with my daughter, but he complains. Doesn't think I should be spending the money. But, it's money I earn from consulting. I do treat my daughter, but I enjoy doing that and those memories are really cherished. But, I feel guilty knowing he doesn't approve, yet he won't go with me!

I'm pretty independent and traveled a lot for business and when my kids were in college or living abroad, I got on a plane and went by myself to visit them. So glad I did that now!

Old 03-24-2017, 01:54 AM

15,242 posts, read 12,810,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
I can get him to do one trip, I think.

I do travel with my daughter, but he complains. Doesn't think I should be spending the money. But, it's money I earn from consulting. I do treat my daughter, but I enjoy doing that and those memories are really cherished. But, I feel guilty knowing he doesn't approve, yet he won't go with me!
I've never felt guilty doing things my DH doesn't approve of. Why should the person who has the most drag get the deciding vote? I'm entitled to a life of my own. I went on a luxury Alaskan cruise once by myself. He could have gone, he chose not to. I think he was regretting his choice before I even got on the ship. Too bad. What a great trip that was. I love being at sea.

He's being incredibly obstinate about buying a dream retirement place in AZ, so this will probably be the year I pack up my vehicle and go without him. I work from home, too, but home can be anywhere in the lower 48. My FRA is three years away.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:41 AM

2,692 posts, read 3,312,085 times
My Wife has been bugging me to go on a Cruise, I just tell her to grab a friend and go, and she does....no problem. This year she is demanding we go on a Cruise together, think I may give it a go......if I like it, which she claims I will, it may be a yearly trip. As far as when to retire, my Wife wants me to go at least 65 (she'll be 62).....I'm looking at possible 62....got a few years to set it up, or at least see if it's feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement