Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:20 AM

242 posts, read 231,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
No, but as one poster pointed out there's another discussion about it...I'm pretty sure that the reason is not they hate the charity, but they feel"Forced" to accept it and thus viciously reject it.

I understand the feeling in a way. But it's up to the individuals attitude...I think that the server should say "You order was already paid for, but if you'd rather pass, we'll pass it on to the next person"...That way, you have a choice to take it or not.

In my the-man-ahead-of-you-paid-for-your-coffee event, there was no indication that this was a chain or anything like it. I wasn't inside in a line where all were watching and there was no comment from the cashier that they expected me to continue. Just altruism in a simple little thing. It was nice, with no expectation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 09:24 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzsilk View Post
If I were to be at the "pick up" window and was told someone paid for my coffee, if I were to want to pay for the next person's coffee that would be very complicated....because the person in back of me is most likely already at the "pay window" behind me. I don't know....I didn't over think it. I just enjoyed the good feeling at the moment and decided to randomly pay for someone else another time. I did not feel that I "owed" it to anyone. Whether or not it happens again, I will probably randomly pay again for someone else.
Doesn't work that way at McDonalds.

You have three steps.......
#1 order, drive ahead
#2 pay, drive ahead
#3 pick up order, drive away.

You would have to be informed at the pay window that the person behind you at the ordering stop said they are paying when they ordered.

Once you got to the pickup window, you would have already paid for your own order.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:36 AM

242 posts, read 231,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Doesn't work that way at McDonalds.

You have three steps.......
#1 order, drive ahead
#2 pay, drive ahead
#3 pick up order, drive away.

You would have to be informed at the pay window that the person behind you at the ordering stop said they are paying when they ordered.

Once you got to the pickup window, you would have already paid for your own order.

Wow. You are confusing everything. You can do this at MickyD's. Just order at the window. Then when you go to the PAY window, say, "Did the person behind me order a coffee?" Then the cashier says, "Yes". Then you say, "I would like to pay for their coffee along with mine". Then you pay for your coffee AND their coffee. When they get to the PAY window the cashier says to them, "The man/woman in front of you paid for your coffee". They get their free coffee and that feel-good-someone-did-something-nice-for-me feeling. This is not a chain event. Yes, I would pay for myself AND the next person. Does that make sense?

Old 03-27-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Wow. You are confusing everything. You can do this at MickyD's. Just order at the window. Then when you go to the PAY window, say, "Did the person behind me order a coffee?" Then the cashier says, "Yes". Then you say, "I would like to pay for their coffee along with mine". Then you pay for your coffee AND their coffee. When they get to the PAY window the cashier says to them, "The man/woman in front of you paid for your coffee". They get their free coffee and that feel-good-someone-did-something-nice-for-me feeling. This is not a chain event. Yes, I would pay for myself AND the next person. Does that make sense?
No, ma'am.......what you just posted now is not the post I am referring to.

In the post I am referring to, you state you are at the pick up window and find out someone paid for your food/drink.

How did you get past the pay window and be able to drive straight up to the pick up window?

When you got to the pay window, you have to pay before proceeding to the pick up window.

Thus, it is impossible to get to the pick up window before finding out someone had already paid for your order.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:56 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
No, ma'am.......what you just posted now is not the post I am referring to.

In the post I am referring to, you state you are at the pick up window and find out someone paid for your food/drink.

How did you get past the pay window and be able to drive straight up to the pick up window?

When you got to the pay window, you have to pay before proceeding to the pick up window.

Thus, it is impossible to get to the pick up window before finding out someone had already paid for your order.
LOL Here you only go to one window to pay and pick up unless it's extremely busy. You order at a sign/menu thingy, then they tell you which window to go to.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:57 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
........" at the end of the season when there's not much left but some squash "....

apples to oranges.

Is there a reason you don't use/trust the honor system in peak selling season ?
What do you mean? It's not MY decision/trust but the farmer's. In peak season, they have people working there, mostly family, not just taking payment, but running out to the field to cut lettuce fresh when you want some, stocking the bins, etc. They also run a CSA.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I am glad I don't frequent places that have "baristas "
Hahaha, me too. Silly.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
What? So, what will they do to someone who gets a free coffee and doesn't pay it forward? Spit in the coffee next time they see the person? Point the person out to the crowd as a cheapskate? Seems to me that "what they say" on this is true: "Nobody cares. The universe doesn't revolve around you."
Beats the shyt outta me. I'm not involved, don't buy things at any drive-throughs, don't drink Starbucks, just providing information.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
If I were to be at the "pick up" window and was told someone paid for my coffee, if I were to want to pay for the next person's coffee that would be very complicated....because the person in back of me is most likely already at the "pay window" behind me. I don't know....I didn't over think it. I just enjoyed the good feeling at the moment and decided to randomly pay for someone else another time. I did not feel that I "owed" it to anyone. Whether or not it happens again, I will probably randomly pay again for someone else.

......"If I were to be at the "pick up" window and was told someone paid for my coffee"..

How can you get to the pick up window and bypass the pay window?

You have to pay for it at the pay window before you drive ahead to the pick up window.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
LOL Here you only go to one window to pay and pick up unless it's extremely busy. You order at a sign/menu thingy, then they tell you which window to go to.
Never seen that at a McDonalds anywhere.

(and I/ve been to many )

ordering and not having to pay until your order is processed and you pick it up?

nearly unheard of for drive thru ordering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement