Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 09:04 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
True. If that's where your family and support network is, then it makes easier to live there. If you're from IA or MN, I'm sure you're used to the winters and think nothing of it.

A lot of things have gotten easier for me when I moved back to TN simply because I have more family and friends available to help. I had to have my car serviced a week ago Friday. Dad took me back to work and came to get me after. In Iowa, I'd have to have tried to get this done on a weekend. Even little things like that can be much more of a hassle when you're outside of a support system.
When I have work done at the dealership they offer a loaner car.

For servicing that can be done quickly I make an apointment and it is done while I and waiting.

Otherwise I have gotten into the habit of dropping my vehicle off at night, all repair shops have a slot for keys to be dropped at night. Then I get my vehicle the next day.

I recently learned that our mechanic offers to pickup your vehicle from your driveway and he returns it after repairs are finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 05:17 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I get what these lists are going for with Maine, Minnesota, Iowa, and New Hampshire, but being from Tennessee, I don't know anyone, especially a senior, who would consider moving to any of these states.

All of these states are highly educated, generally have good healthcare, relatively low crime, reasonable cost of living compared to the coasts, etc. Still, how many people want to put up with winters in Iowa or Minnesota? I lived in Iowa for a year - summers were blistering hot with some of the worst storms I've seen, the winter was bitter cold (though sunnier than I expected), much of Iowa is hours from anything of note, etc. I thought it was a bad place to live and came back.
I lived there about a year or maybe 2, it seemed like longer than it really was. Like you, I hated the climate, which as you note has a lot about it to hate. Summer about like Atlanta, GA, and winter about like Idaho Falls, ID, but somehow without the charm of either place.

I went there for a job. I found a different job pretty quick. Moving there for retirement is just nuts.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:30 PM

31 posts, read 23,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Thank you for understanding where I'm coming from. For me, ideally, I want a smallish town with basic amenities including at least a small hospital that's not more than about 45 minutes from a larger city but not a huge city. I long for the slower life style and low crime such towns have to offer. I would love a quaint safe walkable downtown and living in a house close to it.
Many "lists" rate such towns negatively because they may not have high increasing home values and a lot of diversity, but for me having stability and not dealing with a large growing population and changing demographics is a big plus.
I want the same town. Where is such a town and what state? I don't want to be isolated from amenities, but don't want to be around loads of people and sprawl. Lower taxes, less likely to be hit by weather patterns that would destroy the home, less winter. It's a tough thing to decide.

Lower property taxes so they don't creep up so much when I am in my 80's that I have to move or sell. Many older people don't take that into account and are in a dire state due to this.

Not isolated, but some privacy. Smaller house, less to take care of at that age. Where are these type of towns?

Old 07-08-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
When I was much younger and going to college, I took 6 months off from school and traveled to Italy and lived with my grandparents. Their home was situated close enough to where almost anything I wanted to do was within walking distance. The downtown with a glorious piazza including a large fountain had everything I needed and the beach was walking distance too. I always felt safe. My grandmother lived to be 103 and she rode her bike into downtown until she was in her late 70s.
Now that I'm closer and closer to retiring I hope to find a town with a population of about 2000 - 10,000 people with a nice historic town center where most things will be within walking distance for me. I've discovered there are hundreds of towns like this in middle America (without the beach) that might get an occasional dusting of snow but most years nothing major. I'm in the process of narrowing it down, but that's my goal. Ironically, the states I find most appealing are not anywhere near the top of that list
I would love to know what towns you are speaking of? I am staying clear of CA, OR and WA due to the higher cost of living, taxes and the dreaded earthquakes/Tsunami probabilities. Don't want to live in "raining all the time" environment. Drought is another consideration. I need to move to a state that has good aquifers and water management because of the droughts. Humidity isn't my favorite either, but I'd compromise a bit of it if I had more months cooler (Not excessive winter) weather.

That town in Italy is exactly what I would love. I have some ties to Italy, don't know them. I've always wanted to live in a town like that where I could bicycle into town for everything I needed. Where are those towns in the USA? The only one that came close back in the day was Portland, but I didn't want to move to a misty-to-hard rain area that was also out of my reach financially. I don't want to live in a city.

So, low taxes, maybe even no pension taxing, no SSI taxes, low property tax, mild weather at times, less sprawl and more home town...close to amenities, hospitals, doctors.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:48 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macinpup View Post
I would love to know what towns you are speaking of? I am staying clear of CA, OR and WA due to the higher cost of living, taxes and the dreaded earthquakes/Tsunami probabilities. Don't want to live in "raining all the time" environment. Drought is another consideration. I need to move to a state that has good aquifers and water management because of the droughts. Humidity isn't my favorite either, but I'd compromise a bit of it if I had more months cooler (Not excessive winter) weather.

That town in Italy is exactly what I would love. I have some ties to Italy, don't know them. I've always wanted to live in a town like that where I could bicycle into town for everything I needed. Where are those towns in the USA? The only one that came close back in the day was Portland, but I didn't want to move to a misty-to-hard rain area that was also out of my reach financially. I don't want to live in a city.

So, low taxes, maybe even no pension taxing, no SSI taxes, low property tax, mild weather at times, less sprawl and more home town...close to amenities, hospitals, doctors.
It just comes down to personal preference and compromises. What I might like, other people might despise. Anywhere east of the Mississippi, you're going to get rain most likely at least once a week and sometimes for several days at a time. That doesn't bother me.
I've decided on KY. I've visited several times and love it. I can't wait to move. There is one town in particular with a pop of 9000, that has everything I want and it's on the Ohio river. Winters can be cold with some snow but nothing like the upper Midwest. It has 2 historic districts (Daniel Boone was a founder), a beautiful walkable downtown, public transportation, Amtrak, is the medical hub for the surrounding counties. Property taxes are quite low. It also has couple of big box stores, nice restaurants as well as mom and pop places to shop and eat. There's a very nice museum in the middle of downtown which has one of the largest exhibit of miniatures in the world. When I was there, they had just opened an exhibit on Kentucky bourbon and it's history. There's also an old historic opera house which has concerts and plays by the local theater group.
When I visited, I stayed at a really nice hotel on the Ohio River. I walked everywhere downtown and in some residential areas. People I encountered were very friendly and helpful. I even went to the local pub and had a couple beers and pizza. I'll be visiting again at least another time before I make my decision but I really liked it.
There are towns throughout the U.S. like this or similar. You just need an open mind and do some research. I've posted these links before but here they are again for anyone else interested.

Here's the link showing the downtown and people enjoying some of the festivals held there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCrHS2rw5so

This is a relocation guide put out by the chamber of commerce. It pretty much tells you everything you'd want to know.
http://www.maysvillekentucky.com/fil...on%20Guide.pdf

City of Maysville
City of Maysville

Like I said, some people would hate living there because it's relatively small among other reasons but it fits me very well. We are all individuals and want different things in life and retirement.

Last edited by marino760; 07-08-2019 at 05:57 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 06:50 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
It just comes down to personal preference and compromises. What I might like, other people might despise. Anywhere east of the Mississippi, you're going to get rain most likely at least once a week and sometimes for several days at a time. That doesn't bother me.
I've decided on KY. I've visited several times and love it. I can't wait to move. There is one town in particular with a pop of 9000, that has everything I want and it's on the Ohio river. Winters can be cold with some snow but nothing like the upper Midwest. It has 2 historic districts (Daniel Boone was a founder), a beautiful walkable downtown, public transportation, Amtrak, is the medical hub for the surrounding counties. Property taxes are quite low. It also has couple of big box stores, nice restaurants as well as mom and pop places to shop and eat. There's a very nice museum in the middle of downtown which has one of the largest exhibit of miniatures in the world. When I was there, they had just opened an exhibit on Kentucky bourbon and it's history. There's also an old historic opera house which has concerts and plays by the local theater group.
When I visited, I stayed at a really nice hotel on the Ohio River. I walked everywhere downtown and in some residential areas. People I encountered were very friendly and helpful. I even went to the local pub and had a couple beers and pizza. I'll be visiting again at least another time before I make my decision but I really liked it.
There are towns throughout the U.S. like this or similar. You just need an open mind and do some research. I've posted these links before but here they are again for anyone else interested.

Here's the link showing the downtown and people enjoying some of the festivals held there.

This is a relocation guide put out by the chamber of commerce. It pretty much tells you everything you'd want to know.

City of Maysville
City of Maysville

Like I said, some people would hate living there because it's relatively small among other reasons but it fits me very well. We are all individuals and want different things in life and retirement.
Everyone should be sure to assess the flood risk before buying in a new area, but particularly near a major river or lake. Floodtools.com is one way to check out particular addresses.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
When I retired and moved from Minnesota to Arkansas my friends warned me.........." what you think you are saving on winter heating bills you now will be spending on AC bills "

not true !

My first summer down here was abnormally hot.
Several days over 100.
Thermostat was set on 75 and the highest total electric bill was $126.

Many months in Minnesota just my heating bill was 3-4x that amount.

The same applies here in Phoenix, Arizona areas. Everyone in CT said I would pay so much more in AZ for air conditioning than oil in CT and MA. LOL! No. The hottest two months, June & July average $155-$185 per month using AC. (Haven't hit the $185 yet this year!) In the winter in CT and MA, it was well over $600 per month for oil costs. The other months are lower going from $140, $135, then down to $85, to $75 in winter time here in AZ. That is total AC & electric TOGETHER cost in a 1233 SQ home! Substantial savings here. I keep it at a cool 78 degrees in Summer, and 68 in winter. Electric bill was higher in CT too. Everything is higher in CT!

Old 07-08-2019, 08:25 PM

Default Wow

Quote:

City of Maysville
City of Maysville

Wow, quick answer. How are the property taxes in KY? I don't think it was on my radar. I have a state pension and want to know if they would tax it. I was looking at TN, but it rains too much and I don't like how The Madrid Fault goes through all of that area. Thought about AK as well. I just think the humidity might be too much for me. I worry about Climate Changes making wet areas wetter and dry areas drier. Been reading a lot about places to retire for the past 5 years since moving here to AZ. I thought AZ would be it for me. I love everything about my area in Gilbert. Safe area, up & coming commerce. I have an organic farm right across the street with a local GREAT coffee shop, loads of amenities, local restaurants, not a fan of franchises...but we have them all here. It ticks all the boxes for conveniences, accessibility to Hospitals and Doctors (planned communities) are all very close, but it is getting quite crowded for me. So, I bought a house at the right time (near the end of the housing bubble), and my real estate is worth a lot more, but the heat is taking a toll on my chronic health issues. Another issue is water. AZ does a wonderful job of water management, much better than all of our surrounding states, but I still feel the drought will not be over with any time soon. I want to move where there is water, a slower paced town. I love the desert and its dry climate. I am willing to deal with some humidity if it means I don't have to worry about high property taxes (they are not high for me here), maybe not taxing my pension, or SSI when I get to that age. I thought of Prescott, as it is less crowded, but it is also not as easy for traffic. It is due to it being too popular now, and the surrounding roads can't accommodate the increase, and they haven't widened the roads. Phoenix and Tucson are really the only two areas that have it all, with Phoenix beating Tucson for more commerce, but the traffic is horrendous there. We have 3 lane roads in the surrounding towns and it is bustling. Gilbert is a huge town/city and growing. It's like top 10 in the country to live, even beating out Scottsdale (Snotsdale), and cheaper tax-wise.

I prefer a town a bit smaller. Loved New England area, but too cold for me and taxes are crazy high by comparison. So, lots of awesome things here in AZ, but the heat is affecting my health, the crowds are not helping, and the more popular it gets, the more I wish to be in a slower town. Oh, and the water issue is making me nervous.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:46 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Almost everything you need or want to know is at your fingertips having a computer. I've done my homework and don't mind sharing but all this information is public and online.

Property taxes by state and county. The average property taxes for the county/town I posted about is $653 per year.
Kentucky Property Taxes By County - 2019

KY is a tax friendly state for retirees according to Smartasset. Plug in your numbers and see where you stand.
https://smartasset.com/retirement/ke...xes#T6cAYfySIq

If you're concerned about electric rates, check them out here.
https://www.electricitylocal.com/sta...cky/bardstown/

The town I spoke of is in NE KY, not close to the New Madrid fault, but if that one goes all bets are off. Even NY will be shaking according to some experts.
Also, regarding flooding and the Ohio River, this town has a flood wall that protects it. No flood has yet breached the wall.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:48 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I would think Florida would be bad state to retire in because of cost of living so high like property taxes and insurance.

Think Florida is the ideal spot to retire? There are far better, according to Bankrate. The Sunshine State came in only at the No. 17 spot on Bankrate's list of the best states for retirees, based on cost of living, quality of health care, crime, weather, and other factors. Unfortunately for sun worshippers, the states that came out on top tend to be a bit chilly.

5 Best and Worst States for Retirees
I wouldn't consider living in 4 of the top 5. Florida is not bad if you don't mind humidity (I do) and love good beaches.

For me, Arizona is tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement