Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 12:09 PM

919 posts, read 789,102 times

Advertisements

Disagree, I think the thread as written is a little insulting in that it implies that getting fed up with others is a trait of people getting older. I'm not getting more fed up with people, maybe more patient. So yeah I say "why do you let yourself be aggravated" by that. Let it go

Last edited by mauialoha; 04-03-2017 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 12:48 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,044,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
Disagree, I think the thread as written is a little insulting in that it implies that getting fed up with others is a trait of people getting older. I'm not getting more fed up with people, maybe more patient. So yeah I say "why do you let yourself be aggravated" by that. Let it go
Letting go of things that have been basically festering inside you for years isn't that easy. Patience usually gets thinner and thinner as the years go by. I personally never seen anyone get to a certain point in life where they just say "f!*k it" and let things go that have been aggravating them for numerous years.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:50 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Why in the world would you even care?

You'd expect by retirement age that being critical of others for something as superficial as this would go away.

Guess it never does.
I happen to enjoy the sight of attractive young men...

Old 04-03-2017, 02:31 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,480,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Looking back over my life, the hardest birthday for me was 25. I felt I was a quarter of a century and it weighed heavily on me. When I turned 30, spent about a year partying hard and only realized that it also affected me a lot. So my saying I've "lost patience" with young people who say they're old is an exaggeration - I've been there.

Turning 40, 50, 60, 70 -- eh, whatever. I've never had a birthday since then that hit me that hard.
Strange, that was MY hard Birthday too!

I didn't mind turning forty, in fact looked forward to it, and same with 50.

I'm not yet sure about 60, but as it draws closer {6 years away}, i imagine I will look forward to it, as I am already looking forward to my 62nd birthday. LOL, then I can get help with snow shoveling and lawn mowing! They are only willing to help those who are 62 and older, not those who are physically handicapped like me.

The only thing about 50, is that I definitely CANNOT do the things I could at 40.

Oh well, aging..you CANNOT fight it, well you can, but IT will WIN every time!

Old 04-03-2017, 03:30 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
Besides aging, some things have actually gotten worse:
- Spam of all kinds (phone, email, pop ups, streaming !#@!# ads, etc)
- Alternative facts
- The combination of big data, analytics, tracking your purchasing/on line/phone behavior and subsequent pigeon-holing of you into some arbitrary bucket ... BTW ... the politicians (including supposed outsiders) are also doing this to you ... divide and conquer ... one of the oldest games in town
- Driving skills (or maybe more properly, using one's actual skills as opposed to multitasking while driving)
- The supposed "replacement" of certain jobs by outsourcing and automation ... but neither "replacement" format ever does the job as well as the previous human.
- On a similar note - the dumbing down of technology / user interfaces / etc in order to make them saleable on a mass basis to people who do not have enough disposable income or who are too poorly skilled to deal with the good old versions.

Thanks for listening.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:23 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
I hate clutter. More stuff means valuable floor space disappears means I start feeling like I am living in an obstacle course.

And I'm not just talking about my house. Several friends have embraced a mantra if one is cute, fifteen is better!! Tons of scented candles, large cathedral style floor candlesticks with huge stinky pillar candles in clusters of threes and fives....

I don't like the whole minimalistic style either...but there is a happy medium. It doesn't help that its getting very hard to find smaller scales furniture, so when people redecorate the furniture is big and bulky... and then crowded, so less floor space....yada yada...

And so many of these women say they have a fear of falling...and they are setting up their houses to do just that...

Old 04-03-2017, 05:17 PM

1,066 posts, read 764,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I hate clutter.
I can relate to this statement. I do have less patience with seeing things I forgot we even had around the house. When I was still working it was hard to find the energy to go through boxes and plastic tubs but now... it's getting done.

We are getting ready to move into a smaller place and I've been taking loads and loads of things to ARC. Very satisfying. Will make it easier to move across the country too.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:25 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,466,587 times
This thread is about things that have annoyed us as we've gotten older. Some of my irritations have only been "as I've gotten older" because they are new developments like technology. They would have irritated me when I was younger if the tech had been there, I think.

Anyway, over time, I've become more irritated about:

* Loud piercing noises. Children screaming/squealing indoors, for example, like in a restaurant. Also, the horn they blow for a goal at hockey games. Last night they kept showing replays over and over on the game we were watching and I had to leave the room because the continued horn blowing kept getting to me.

* Celebrities who continually take political stands. It's one thing if they are personally connected to an issue, like they raise money for a cause that they care about such as ALS. However, I don't give a crap if someone who stars in movies hates Trump or Hillary and I hate that they use their visibility as a soap box.

* For that matter, I've become really impatient with people who make a point to let me know their political affiliation, no matter what it is. It's one thing if we are talking about the subject -- but when people say "I'm a Republican/Democrat./Liberal for no reason it bothers me. Example: A friend of mine has been seriously involved in a LTR and when I asked what the guy is like she said "He's a card carrying Republican." (My friend is very, very liberal, so I guess she thought I'd be shocked.) As if that description is supposed to mean something to me. Nothing about his personality, the traits she fell in love with, or anything.

* The man-child thing annoys me. Enough said.

* I'm irritated by people who disparage stay at home moms for not "contributing financially."

* People who live off their parents when they are too old to be.

* People who continually make excuses for their bad behavior. i.e. addicts who refuse treatment and make everyone around them miserable.

* I'm tired of being forced to be on Facebook just to keep in contact with groups I'm interested in. I am a participant in 2 groups and they don't have websites, only closed FB pages and that's the only way you can keep up with what's going on.

* I am irritated by long text messages that can't fit into one section of text. If it's that long just email it. Lots of times the texts end of arriving out of order so I have to piece it together.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:30 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
prius drivers constantly driving 5-10mph under the speed limits...

food shaming..
if you don't eat;
organics
local
grass fed
gluten-free
wild caught (not farm raised)
free range

you are eating Unhealthy ....this is b.s

rap music playing in stores

clerks with earbuds in their ears.......not hearing questions I'm asking - in stores

green/orange hair.....and earrings all thru their face and if someone looks at them sideways...they seem put out

politics....

tv news...cant watch anymore.... they thrive on tragedy,,they throw gas on fires..... they love a crisis-it means ratings

Old 04-03-2017, 07:35 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,466,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

food shaming..
if you don't eat;
organics
local
grass fed
gluten-free
wild caught (not farm raised)
free range

you are eating Unhealthy ....this is b.s
THANK YOU!

This is one of mine as well. I have a relative who is a huge food-shamer, and yet she smokes like a chimney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement