Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 05:51 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times

Advertisements

Unhappy older people. The ones that on paper should be on top of the world. I feel like shaking them and telling them to open their eyes and see how lucky they are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 10:23 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
At Chick-fil-A the staff are trained to respond, "It's my pleasure." Even if it isn't.

It doesn't matter whether or not a staffer had a problem serving you. It's not about them or their feeeeelings. It's about customer relations.

It doesn't bother me to hear anyone say, "No problem", but I agree with you. It isn't the customer's concern whether serving them was or wasn't a problem.

I overheard a man at the table next to mine one day respond with, "Who said anything about a problem?" in response to the server saying that and the young man just stood there dumbfounded.

I think the people who use this as a response to being thanked are young and haven't been taught properly, but they usually make up for it with a smile and enthusiasm, so for me, not a big deal.

And that's another response you hear from time to time - "No big deal!" when you thank someone.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:51 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
At 63, I have even less tolerance for time-wasters, both the in-person type and the online type.

You want to know what the top ten destinations are for klezmer music, let's say, and some site makes you walk through their picks one page at a time. (They're trying to get you to accidentaly click on an ad.) I don't even look at those listicles, as they're called, any more.

What about you?

Liars
Thieves
Parents that never should have been
Road Rage idiots
Inconsiderate drivers
Speeders
Drug abusers
Drunks
Hypocrites of any kind
Healthy people ripping of Workers Comp or Social Security
Domestic abusers

Wait, what was the question again?

Old 04-08-2017, 10:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
When I get behind the slow guy who pull out a checkbook in the 6 items or less lane, I have to remind myself to be patient. My first impulse is to be irritated. Don't we all use debit cards now? But now that I am retired, I can remind myself that my time is my own, and it is OK.

I also have to fight the impulse to be irritated by the even older folk whose hearing is probably damaged, and who don't sense that I am right behind them while they stand transfixed in the middle of a grocery aisle. This happens all the time. As people get older, they seem to lose awareness of approaching people. I think part of it is hearing loss. As any rate, it always annoys me. But getting annoyed does no on any good. I'm working on this stuff.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:20 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
While waiting in line for a slow person, e.g. coupon user, check writer, price checker, I use my iPhone to read a book on kindle or just read something like the NYT or Economist.

I've actually become more patient with age. No Hurries. No Worries.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:41 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
When I get behind the slow guy who pull out a checkbook in the 6 items or less lane, I have to remind myself to be patient. My first impulse is to be irritated. Don't we all use debit cards now? But now that I am retired, I can remind myself that my time is my own, and it is OK.

I also have to fight the impulse to be irritated by the even older folk whose hearing is probably damaged, and who don't sense that I am right behind them while they stand transfixed in the middle of a grocery aisle. This happens all the time. As people get older, they seem to lose awareness of approaching people. I think part of it is hearing loss. As any rate, it always annoys me. But getting annoyed does no on any good. I'm working on this stuff.
I agree with your statements. It was funny, however, that when my DH was in the grocery the other day, a man in his early 40's was walking down the aisle texting on his phone and not looking up at all. DH was walking in the same direction. The man did not sense DH there, so when the guy got very close, DH yelled, "Hey." The guy was totally startled and apologized. DH had a good chuckle. Hope this guy learned a lesson...

Old 04-09-2017, 03:45 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Unhappy older people. The ones that on paper should be on top of the world. I feel like shaking them and telling them to open their eyes and see how lucky they are!
That's easy to say, but those people could be depressed or worried or even feeling guilty about things they've done in the past. If they are people you know well, perhaps you could ask they if something is bothering them...

Old 04-09-2017, 05:46 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
That's easy to say, but those people could be depressed or worried or even feeling guilty about things they've done in the past. If they are people you know well, perhaps you could ask they if something is bothering them...
Guilt is an interesting phenomenon. It is about the pas that we can do nothing about and yet it torments us. Think of it as punishment for bad karma. It can change you if you allow yourself

Old 04-09-2017, 06:19 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
While waiting in line for a slow person, e.g. coupon user, check writer, price checker, I use my iPhone to read a book on kindle or just read something like the NYT or Economist.

I've actually become more patient with age. No Hurries. No Worries.

Smart phones have lowered my irritation level and blood pressure by epic amounts. Now i'm kinda disappointed if the line is fast.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-09-2017, 06:44 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
By unhappy, I don't mean depressed. I should have said " cranky- pants"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement