Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I'm exhausted with the challenges I face as a low income senior. Yes, I'm educated, smart, resourceful, etc. I don't expect anyone to take care of me. Yet, it would be nice if someone just once in a while asked me if I was okay, or if I had enough - I mean friends and family.

Do you have enough on your own? Can you afford to pay someone to help you move heavy things? To move? Etc.?

Do you have any loved ones who ask if they can help? Do they?

I don't. And it's really affecting my happiness and peace of mind tonight, honestly. If I could afford to pay people, maybe it wouldn't bother me as much. But, it's hard not to keep score with people who I have helped, who are now supposedly too busy to help me.

I'm betting I'm not the only senior with this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 11:34 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
I'd help you move, except I'm near the end of your move rather than the beginning.

Sorry that the people on the scene seem oblivious.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:14 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Honestly, I'm exhausted with the challenges I face as a low income senior. Yes, I'm educated, smart, resourceful, etc. I don't expect anyone to take care of me. Yet, it would be nice if someone just once in a while asked me if I was okay, or if I had enough - I mean friends and family.

Do you have enough on your own? Can you afford to pay someone to help you move heavy things? To move? Etc.?

Do you have any loved ones who ask if they can help? Do they?

I don't. And it's really affecting my happiness and peace of mind tonight, honestly. If I could afford to pay people, maybe it wouldn't bother me as much. But, it's hard not to keep score with people who I have helped, who are now supposedly too busy to help me.

I'm betting I'm not the only senior with this issue.
I'm on the opposite end of the issue from you. While not well-to-do, I am comfortable enough to be able to help others, which I do with both institutional donations (such as to the Salvation Army) and personal help. The latter is limited by the responses I get. I have several cousins who hardly have two nickels to rub together. Not only do they constitute a bottomless pit of continual mismanagement, but there has been no thanks forthcoming for specific help which I have tendered.

One cousin needs his teeth fixed. I offered through his sister to donate $2000 for that purpose, and I was seeking a way to be sure the money would actually be used for the dental work. The word came back that the dental work was simply not a priority at the moment. So be it.

Another time (and another cousin) I gave $200 for Christmas gifts to a cousin who is raising her grandchildren in very tight financial straights. In my mind, social graces require that the kids (grandchildren) write thank-you notes. That never happened.

The foregoing are only two examples; there are others.

Whenever we get together socially at a restaurant I pay for the meal of any cousin whom I know to be near destitute.

Two important points: First, I am not suggesting that you are, or would be, guilty of the same lack of graciousness and gratitude that I have experienced. I am simply relating my own story which relates to the thread topic.

Second, I suspect there are those who will come forward to say I am wrong to expect the same social graces on the part of my needy cousins that I would follow if I were in their shoes. Maybe so, but it's my money and I don't have to give it to the ungrateful if I don't care to. I have made an adequate showing of my good will.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:36 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
If one is helping others just to keep score and collect favors in the future they are not helping for the right reason.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:43 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
My kids are mostly focused on solving their own problems. I was the same way in my 30s. Everybody has challenges.

As for me, my attitude is "Don't complain, never explain." Stoic.

If I really needed help they would respond as I did to help out my mother after my dad died at 49.

But really, I don't like to ask for help. I don't want to be a burden.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:44 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If one is helping others just to keep score and collect favors in the future they are not helping for the right reason.

I didn't interpret the OP's post like that at all. It seems rather strident.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:45 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
I'm not close to that (need for others to help me). It might be another 20-30 yrs. But I feel that it would be my own fault as I haven't invested in or nurtured relationships enough to expect the help.

I randomly assist strangers or offer assistance to people I barely know or vaguely know. But in my family, you really are expected to be self-sufficient.

Where I live (retirement communities in FL), there really seems small local businesses/contractors/mom and pop companies that cater to those in need (moving, shopping, house cleaning, various other assistance). The community also has a variety of other support in place (rides to health care, around town, for example).

When people decide where to retire, this is something to consider.

My main issue is having someone to workout the details of my estate, burial, close up the loose ends when my time comes (ie sell the house, execute the will, disperse the finances left over). I haven't really investigated, but I'm sure there are law firms who you can contract with (elder law) who will do this for you.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:35 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Many times the people you help aren't able to return the favor. If unable to do things for themselves how can they help you?

The people I help can't really do anything for me but they have always been grateful.

Now if you are talking about able bodied people you have helped financially its a different story. I would definitely keep score with them.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
I am a single woman with no children. Most of my family have passed away. I'm essentially alone in life. It's a part of my retirement planning to have money for house cleaners and other personal services.

I think the biggest key is to minimize and simplify your life before you retire. That way no major moves, no big house projects, etc.

As far as keeping score on people, how will that help you in the end? Have you even asked for help?

Old 04-01-2017, 06:22 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
We have no children and do not live near any siblings or their offspring. We did navigate my FIL through his final days, with little help from others in the family. They all thanked us for doing what we did for their father and we are all on good terms.

Our plan for our final days are to live out our years in Mexico where we can afford to hire fulltime help and stay in our home.

In fact we bought a home at Lake Chapala and will close/settle on it in 3 weeks! We specifically bought a one story home with a separate casita for live-in help should that be needed.

For now we will spend half our time in US, half in Mexico (we are 64/65 years old).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement