Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 05:50 PM

81 posts, read 84,226 times

Advertisements

I know the basics of the Social Security earnings test, but I have a specific question. Which line on the 1040 does SS use for the earnings test? I get difficulty of care payments for an adult child (a Medicaid Waiver) via a W-2. (I know that it shouldn't be a W-2 so please don't address that; next year it won't be on a W-2.) The difficulty of care payments are included in Line 7, but are subtracted on Line 21 so is nontaxable. And these difficulty of care payments are not included in the Total Income below Line 21.

Which line is used for the earnings test? It turns out that FICA was withheld from the payments, which I'm worried will mean it's considered earnings. If that's the case, I'd have to apply to the IRS for reimbursement of the FICA. I'd like to avoid that, as I hear it's a bear to accomplish a refund of FICA.

But the FICA was withheld in error (no corrected W-2 will be done for me), so I don't want to lose my Social Security over it. Again, this won't be the case next year. The mistake leading to the W-2 was my fault because I overlooked paperwork I should have completed when my husband unexpectedly died in March 2016.

Does anyone know, if FICA is withheld, is the income automatically considered earnings for the Soc Sec earnings test? Or does anyone know which line they use? There is no line labeled "Gross Income."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 06:17 PM

106,771 posts, read 108,973,015 times
earnings are just that -earned income only . it is GROSS labor earnings .

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/rtea.html

Old 04-04-2017, 05:30 AM

2,783 posts, read 2,084,972 times
Sounds like you need to decipher what the reimbursement is supposed to be reportednin if not a W-2. How can a W-2, which is supposed to be for earned income, be accidentally issued..?

Old 04-04-2017, 07:04 AM

5,330 posts, read 6,027,018 times
I don't know if this will help, see Question 11

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/cert...le-from-income

Last edited by lenora; 04-04-2017 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: corrected question number

Old 04-04-2017, 02:05 PM

81 posts, read 84,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I don't know if this will help, see Question 11

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/cert...le-from-income
The Q11 and Q12 is what I'm confused about. I paid FICA because I wasn't sure whether the funding was exempt from FICA or not and I didn't want to underpay and get in trouble. But my husband died in March 2016 and I am subject to the earnings test for Social Security for the first time. My accountant followed the directions in Q11 at the link provided by Lenora, and the IRS treated the funding as difficulty of care payments, which we expected. The state did the same, and IRS and state taxes,were refunded because it was Medicaid Waiver funding for my intellectually disabled daughter. But FICA was withheld because sometimes the Medicaid Waiver is also exempt from FICA -- but not always (Q12 at the link). But now I'm worried Soc Sec will count it as earnings because FICA was paid on it.

I know the basics of the Social Security earnings test, but I have a specific question. Which line on the 1040 does SS use for the earnings test? I get difficulty of care payments for an adult child (a Medicaid Waiver) via a W-2. (I know that it shouldn't be a W-2 so please don't address that; next year it won't be on a W-2.) The difficulty of care payments are included in Line 7, but are subtracted on Line 21 so is nontaxable. And these difficulty of care payments are not included in the Total Income below Line 21.

Which line is used for the earnings test? It turns out that FICA was withheld from the payments, which I'm worried will mean it's considered earnings. If that's the case, I'd have to apply to the IRS for reimbursement of the FICA. I'd like to avoid that, as I hear it's a bear to accomplish a refund of FICA.

But the FICA was withheld in error (no corrected W-2 will be done for me), so I don't want to lose my Social Security over it. Again, this won't be the case next year. The mistake leading to the W-2 was my fault because I overlooked paperwork I should have completed when my husband unexpectedly died in March 2016.

Does anyone know, if FICA is withheld, is the income automatically considered earnings for the Soc Sec earnings test? Or does anyone know which line they use? There is no line labeled "Gross Income."

Old 04-04-2017, 03:42 PM

106,771 posts, read 108,973,015 times
the line is the gross wages . only wages should be on a w2 . the test is against strictly gross income on a w2 which appear on line 7 on the 1040 . if you inflated the amount by adding non earned income to it you have to get a corrected w2 and do things right or it is counted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement