Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 12:54 AM

1,020 posts, read 808,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Could it be that some older people do have great "attitudes" because they are lucky enough to have dodged the big bullets and are still relatively healthy? We would all like to believe that we can ward off bad health and age issues by a good attitude. Unfortunately there is little or no evidence that is the case.
Sure, for some people. But some of the people I know with the best attitudes, have just as many health issues, if not more, than those with poor attitudes & vice versa. I also know people who have had a horrible attitudes, since way before he had any physical ailments (victim mentality).

I don't think most people believe you can ward off bad health or age issues with a good attitude. But study after study shows that you can heal faster & stronger with a good attitude. It can be as simple as saying to yourself 'I hurt a lot today, I don't think I'll exercise' vs. 'I hurt a lot today, but I'm going to hurt whether I exercise or not, so I'll exercise b/c it makes me feel better about myself' It affects your interactions with others, it affections your expectations & it affects how feel about yourself & those things outside of your control. It can help put more minor health issues in perspective & can give you a release of energy for more serious ones. The benefits have been well documented by the medical community, but sadly, no, being positive will not prevent bad things from happening to you. It only affects how you deal with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 01:07 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd say the late 60s qualifies as old. Needless to say, many people are active and vibrant long beyond that, but on average you've got about 10 years left.
Awwww!!!! I was going to say 70 (I'm 67). But seriously, I guess I keep pushing "old" (or worse, "elderly") to my own next milestone, but you're right, late 60's DOES sound old. Although 70 sounds just awful. I remember my neighbor being upset when the newspaper published a story about her car accident, in which a motorcyclist had died (and she could have been killed). She was most upset about the fact they gave her age, which was 70. She didn't want anyone to know how old she was, and honestly, she didn't look it.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:50 AM

4,053 posts, read 2,132,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Awwww!!!! I was going to say 70 (I'm 67). But seriously, I guess I keep pushing "old" (or worse, "elderly") to my own next milestone, but you're right, late 60's DOES sound old. Although 70 sounds just awful. I remember my neighbor being upset when the newspaper published a story about her car accident, in which a motorcyclist had died (and she could have been killed). She was most upset about the fact they gave her age, which was 70. She didn't want anyone to know how old she was, and honestly, she didn't look it.

??? Why does it sound awful? Most 90 year olds are proud to reveal their age. All 70 means is that the person was born 70 years ago. Are they probably closer to their death than a 20 year old? No question, except for the rare illness or accident for the younger person. I can't figure out whether people who are horrified of aging/a specific age love life or are scared of it. If they are scared of death and/or want to live forever, then until it is figured out how to live forever frozen at whatever preferred age, the only alternative is to age.

So was your neighbor responsible for the death of the motorcyclist? Seems to me that would have been a bigger concern than people now knowing her age! (Although I really don't understand why newspapers give age.)

Old 04-04-2017, 05:05 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
When you have nothing better to do but sit in the lobby at the senior high rise and talk smack about the other residents.

My mother is 70 and lives in such a place due to some health issues, but she is still very active. She enjoys camping, hiking, and fishing. I know a guy in his 80s that goes bar-hopping with a friend of mine who is in her 50s. I acknowledge that there is a greater likelihood of having health problems as one ages, but you could also feel like crap in your twenties.

I recently saw a video about millenials and their perception of old age. A lot of them said 40 (seriously, what is it with people who think that 40 is old?!) Then they actually got the chance to interact with older people and it was funny to watch them do physical activities that the millenials couldn't do. They changed their tune really quick.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:11 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
My friend and neighbor, age 75, was young and active until the day he dropped from a fatal heart attack. He always had a project going and I never considered him "old". I'm ten years younger and have young days and old days and always marveled at his energy level. A few problems from my younger years are coming home to roost. I suspect there is a personal tipping point when we have more old days than young days. So far, I haven't hit that yet.
If you arbitrarily make up some age to draw the line, you are necessarily going to have some people who are above the "magic age" that are "still going strong", while others who have not yet reached the mark will already be losing abilities or slowing down due to "old age".

Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
When you "think" you are old.
Nonetheless, there is no denying the fact that if an 85-year-old walks and talks very slowly, so that others must wait extra for them or provide extra assistance (out of necessity rather than politeness), hold doors, etc. it is normal, and no one thinks much of it except that this person is old. If a 25-year-old were like this, it would indicate a medical condition, likely neurological or accident-related, and everyone's reaction would be quite different - because we'd all know that this person is very unfortunate, because this isn't "supposed" to happen. So chronological age has something to do with it, even though different people hit the mark at different times.

I don't buy this idea that a person isn't old until they feel they are old. If our 85-year-old in this example were to insist that they are "still young", would we then suspect they have cerebral palsy or argue that they need to see a doctor right away to diagnose their ailment, in other words, would we treat them like the 25-year-old? Of course not.

In other words, even if we deny it, deep down inside we know that this person likely has become slow and less able-bodied by reason of "old age". You cannot be affected by "old age" if you are not "old". That would be, logically, a contradiction.

So one is forced to bite the bullet and say that yes, you can be "old" even if you refuse to admit it.

Last edited by ncole1; 04-04-2017 at 06:34 AM..

Old 04-04-2017, 06:33 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post

I don't think most people believe you can ward off bad health or age issues with a good attitude. But study after study shows that you can heal faster & stronger with a good attitude. ......
The OP claims a good attitude will ward off bad health and age issues. I disagree.

If you are aware of study after study that shows you "heal faster" with a good attitude, can you cite even one from a peer reviewed medical journal?

Old 04-04-2017, 07:11 AM

2,275 posts, read 1,669,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd say the late 60s qualifies as old. Needless to say, many people are active and vibrant long beyond that, but on average you've got about 10 years left.
Wow, this surprises me! I consider around 85 to be chronologically "old".

We are approaching 70 and have been busy the past week power washing our driveway, sanding and repainting some cabinets and washing our windows inside and out for spring cleaning.

Maybe genes are involved? My mother said she felt quite "peppy" until she turned 92 and three of our parents lived with minds and bodies intact until their mid-90s. I think your health situation determines how "old" you feel.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:19 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
My sister fell and broke her leg while hiking. She started crying when the medical team called her a " woman" when they radiod the information to their base. She was 40 something.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:26 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
My sister fell and broke her leg while hiking. She started crying when the medical team called her a " woman" when they radiod the information to their base. She was 40 something.
I am not understanding. She cried because she was a woman?

Old 04-04-2017, 07:28 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am not understanding. She cried because she was a woman?
No because they referred to her as a " woman". She thinks she is a teeny bopper. To her " woman" is OLD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement