Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 11:39 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times

Advertisements

A thread in the Philosophy forum, and a wonderful post there, made me think of how important this is in our Retirement Forum. Significant enough, in my opinion, to merit its own thread here. (And yes I know, the discussion topic is not entirely new to us.)

A knowledgeable poster wrote the following:

"I'm a family medicine provider and I see all ages every workday, from birth to the very, very old. It never ceases to amaze me how differently people can appear (and function) within the same chronological age range.

I have noticed people tend to get old when they believe they are old. They then begin acting old and making old decisions, reinforcing their "old" belief.

Genetics play a big role but so does lifestyle and attitude. You cant run from genetics, but you can change your lifestyle and attitude."

While I have no credentials like the above, this is exactly what I have always felt about the matter. Discussion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 01:10 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Well, for me, I definitely act younger than I am. I am involved in a social dancing scene that involves all ages, and it's especially energizing to dance and be around the younger folks. I keep up with styles, trends, music, sports, what's on TV, although these new "internet sensations" are foreign to me. I remember when the group Outkast was popular, I bought the CD but I didn't like all the songs. So I picked the best songs and made a CD for my 30-something co-worker. He was blown away that I even listened to Outkast! So my "outlook" and personality are younger than my years, and I used to look way younger as well. BUT, that's catching up with me. As I approach 70 (70!!!!), I am seeing all kinds of wrinkles, sags and bumps that are making me feel my age when I look in the mirror. It's kind of a jolt when you're an attractive woman who used to turn heads....and now you're invisible. And physically, I'm really feeling it. For example, I can no longer go up stairs except one at a time, due to knee pain. Coming down is even worse. That's just one of the many "issues" I have, although I am still dancing as much as I can to keep that blood moving.

I do see many school classmates from my class who look great, and some who look like old ladies. Maybe some get to the point where they don't care how they look, and that's OK for them, but I'm not there yet.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:21 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,381,599 times
Starting to gray a bit.....loss of hair, a bit of a Beer Belly and running into some health issues, but I'd like to think I'm not getting old. Still do all the labors of home ownership including the renovations (kitchen recently), and still cut and split my own firewood....even though Doc would have a fit.....if I can do it, you can bet I will, and if I can't, you can sure as hell bet I'm gonna try. 57 at the moment, and no plan to slow down. My motto...*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

Old 04-03-2017, 05:43 AM

676 posts, read 528,535 times
'Old' is whatever society decides it is. Just like every other word definition.

Ever see an old person trying to act like they're not old? How does that usually go over?

It's all well and good to try to stay fit, able, and looking good as we age, but the bottom line is that we all grow old unless we die before that. It's just how our biology works.

As for 'getting old when you believe that you're old' ... maybe. I believe I am old and I am as fit as I can be, I continue to have the healthiest and most adventurous lifestyle that I can have, and I care for my appearance.

Rather than refusing to identify as old, I choose to try to embrace the fact, but not any of the 'disability' that often comes with it. I am getting old, but I don't have to get decrepit.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:49 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
old is always 5 years older than i am .

Old 04-03-2017, 05:54 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
old is always 5 years older than i am .
Yes, it is a moving target!

Old 04-03-2017, 06:06 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times

Old 04-03-2017, 06:25 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Betting you'll change your mind when you hit 65

Old 04-03-2017, 06:29 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Betting you'll change your mind when you hit 65
Nope

Old 04-03-2017, 06:33 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Sure I have heard the idea that you are only as old as you think you are. That notion might make sense for someone who has barely reached retirement age or is younger.

As we age we hit the inevitable. Our bodies wear out, injuries and ailments catch up with us. Eating right and exercise may delay but do not stop the ageing processes. Personally I think the notion that we are going to ward off or significantly delay ageing is wishful thinking and all but nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement