Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 10:39 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,164,927 times

Advertisements

They have been retired 8 years. 8 years ago they were able to pay off their mortgage from some money she got from her company upon retirement. Her DH has poor health and would not be alive except for all the medical intervention over the years. One Dr. put him on something that cost them $500+ a month and refused to switch to a cheaper one when they begged him, he said too many side effects. Long time later they told dr. simply they were having to charge food and couldn't pay that charge bill...finally he was switched. Finally he went to VA for help and things are better, but it was too late, they were already swamped. I think they just did not know what to do and didn't share it.

They have medicare and F policies and drug policies. All the hospital times were covered, etc. and I don't think it was much beside the drug thing.

I can't figure out where the rest of their money went. No savings, no IRA, pension, just SS. Their furniture and clothes are all old / used. Their house is little and old. They don't drink or go out much just an occasional meal out, very rare. Their car is 2002. They probably had to charge a couple airplane tickets to go up to see their son, but that shouldn't have caused the new $50,000 mortgage.

They have a new digital camera and laptop but that is all I can see anywhere.

I just think they did not have enough cash coming in. They were both hard workers but never made a lot of money. Their impending move is accelerated because of this but also to share some responsibility and caregiving duties.

Old age and retirement years can be a challenge for a lot of people. She told me she never ever thought she would be doing this caregiving and having to give up her home like this. Though she did work, she always relied on her husband to be the "leader" in the family and now that's falling to her and it doesn't appear she is coping well. People can be loyal, hard-working, and caring and still have a boatload of problems in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 10:46 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,876,944 times
We don't know all the details here, but it looks like a lack of health insurance, or perhaps a terrible policy ( high deductables, catastrophic coverage only, etc). It's possible that they did have insurance, but the remainder after the insurance company paid might still have been high..

The need to have a good, comprehensive health insurance policy can't be stressed enough. I've heard some comments from people in the past, along the lines of "I'm young and healthy, I feel fine--I don't need insurance", which is just the most tragically stupid type of thinking you can imagine..

Old 04-09-2017, 10:47 AM

12,053 posts, read 10,224,090 times
So they were really not responsible with their money?

She probably took a lump sum retirement payout? If he finally went to the VA, he is probably getting some VA compensation pension?

Maybe they gave that money to their son?

Old 04-09-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I think they took out a mortgage on their paid for home and now can't make the mortgage payment or perhaps the upkeep and property taxes.
That is exactly what they told us. They can't make that payment. When we talked about what's due and what the house will bring, and what was left over, she said, yeah but she has to pay off the charges too. So there's that also. Houses are selling in their area, so even in its condition should be able to be sold. Her property taxes are only in the $7-800 range. But if your SS is low, even that can be a challenge.

We are putting everything aside we possibly can against just this sort of scenario. What I think of in the back of my mind are long-term care giving responsibilities. That could derail it all...for many of us.

A lot of us never could amass a huge retirement. Also, thinking about bankruptcy, some people - and them - would never consider doing this if it was at all possible any other way...or low income housing... sigh...it's just very very sad. I think they've been having problems for a lot of years they never told anyone about. I helped with house taxes probably 4-5 years ago. I should have seen this coming.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:50 AM

How old are they?

How can anyone think they will never be in a caregiver role if they are married or have parents and in-laws.

I'm glad I hang out with much older folks so I know all the stuff they go through. But yea, some of them are surprised they are "suddenly" hit with bad health or having to take care of a loved.

I tell them, I'm just going to walk off into the woods and not bother anyone!

Old 04-09-2017, 10:59 AM

I think they were about as responsible as they could be, maybe not really smart people... but their kids don't have much money either, just maybe one of them. He helps with a couple of their bills and is willing to take them in. One comes over to help as time allows and helped with medical emergencies always. I know they helped one son one time, but it couldn't have been much because they didn't have much to begin with.

They are 72 and 76+. I don't think there is a va pension, but there is prescription help there now. I wish they'd have done that years ago.

Lesson I learned, if there is some sort of troubles like this, go talk to someone, some social worker, some organization, some family member, someone to help figure it out and get a better way of dealing with it. We don't know all the answers or all the things out there to help. Had I known about this I would have helped them get in touch with the drug company as I know they help low-income people. Why their dr. didn't tell them is negligent in my opinion.

I had a family member tell me one time not to pay my mortgage off, the interest is low, etc. and she has a lot of discretionary income herself. She did not understand how we might not have enough cash flow when we quit working. I think the "haves" don't always understand the struggles of the "have-nots". And I put their dr. in that category.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:08 AM

15,209 posts, read 10,238,419 times
I feel very bad for them. At their ages they should be enjoying whatever time they have left, not losing their home and having to move in with one of their kids. For what it's worth I will pray for them to have peace and guidance in this situation.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:15 AM

Don't know how close you are to them, but they should talk to a VA rep. Someone from Disabled American Veterans or a state vet organization. Wonder if he was a Vietnam era vet.

They can help them with compensation and other things. Maybe even help with a spouse pension after he passes.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:20 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,525,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm not understanding how this happens that someone loses their home to medical expenses. No insurance? Even so what can a hospital do if you have a $500K bill and can't pay it? Take you to court? Get a judgment against you?

Very sad when people work hard their whole lives and then wind up like this.
To go on Medicaid you can't own an asset like a house, I have a neighbor 90+ yrs old, her son was living with her and now she has to go into a nursing home. She has dementia so really needs round the clock care, he's afraid he's going to lose the house.

A lot of people in the US who declare bankruptcy do it for "medical bankruptcy", it's somewhere above 50%, but it's hard to pin the figure down. Sometimes people get overwhelmed with medical bills because they have to stop work or cut back. Sometimes other things also factor in, (person gets new car, home, whatever, then gets hit up with an illness or injury). Many health insurances did not cover "recreational pursuits", ie: break your leg skiing, miss 2 months work, along with the loss of income, your ER and other bills aren't paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
They have been retired 8 years. 8 years ago they were able to pay off their mortgage from some money she got from her company upon retirement. Her DH has poor health and would not be alive except for all the medical intervention over the years. One Dr. put him on something that cost them $500+ a month and refused to switch to a cheaper one when they begged him, he said too many side effects. Long time later they told dr. simply they were having to charge food and couldn't pay that charge bill...finally he was switched. Finally he went to VA for help and things are better, but it was too late, they were already swamped. I think they just did not know what to do and didn't share it.

They have medicare and F policies and drug policies. All the hospital times were covered, etc. and I don't think it was much beside the drug thing.

I can't figure out where the rest of their money went. No savings, no IRA, pension, just SS. Their furniture and clothes are all old / used. Their house is little and old. They don't drink or go out much just an occasional meal out, very rare. Their car is 2002. They probably had to charge a couple airplane tickets to go up to see their son, but that shouldn't have caused the new $50,000 mortgage.

They have a new digital camera and laptop but that is all I can see anywhere.

I just think they did not have enough cash coming in. They were both hard workers but never made a lot of money. Their impending move is accelerated because of this but also to share some responsibility and caregiving duties.

Old age and retirement years can be a challenge for a lot of people. She told me she never ever thought she would be doing this caregiving and having to give up her home like this. Though she did work, she always relied on her husband to be the "leader" in the family and now that's falling to her and it doesn't appear she is coping well. People can be loyal, hard-working, and caring and still have a boatload of problems in the end.
$500+ a month for Medication adds up to over $6K a yr. Doctors often don't seem to listen to patients, sometimes they receive remuneration in the form of "fees for presentations", for prescribing certain medications.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:30 AM

You can have a house and still get Medicaid! You are allowed to own a home worth up to $505,000.

We just went through this with my mom. If her son was living there before she went in, he can stay there and probably still keep it after she passes.

just went through this with my moms house. My disabled brother lived with her and they will not try to recover any fees.

They need to get with a social worker to help them with the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement