Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:19 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times

Advertisements

The OP isn't retired. She just switched jobs. Or maybe more accurately, quit or retired from one to do another. If the OP is not financially dependent on her husband, then why can't he retire too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 10:31 PM

908 posts, read 961,339 times
[quote=Perryinva;47823540]The OP isn't retired. She just switched jobs. Or maybe more accurately, quit or retired from one to do another. If the OP is not financially dependent on her husband, then why can't he retire too?[/quote

who said he couldn't? wow this forum is full of thorny people isn't it?

Old 04-12-2017, 11:50 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,549 times
Funny how some people on here get so jealous of another persons happiness. I guess there's some bitter (older) people in not great financial positions that can't handle the fact that not everyone has to wait till 62 or 65 to retire.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:33 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
The OP isn't retired. She just switched jobs. Or maybe more accurately, quit or retired from one to do another. If the OP is not financially dependent on her husband, then why can't he retire too?
Not to be contentious, but how is the OP not dependent upon her husband's salary? He's bringing in the money to live on for himself, the OP, and children. The OP is not independently wealthy. I read that the OP said her income paid off their house therefore she thinks she is not dependent upon her husband's salary.

But going forward it seems obvious that she and the children are dependent upon her husband's salary. I mean why say the OP is not dependent upon her husband's salary when she obviously is.

Unless I am misunderstanding something. Just because the OP's salary paid off the house, it doesn't mean that she could suddenly go forward beginning now at age 47 without her husband's salary to support the family for the years to come.

Saying one is not dependent upon a husband's salary - in other words, not admitting it - doesn't make sense. You can't have it both ways - stopping work at 47 and not admitting you need your husband's salary to support the family. (the OP has not mentioned receiving a pension at age 47 which could support herself, but that detail can be filled in by the OP if she cares to, and that would partially change my comments )

Unless the OP, the children, and the husband are independently wealthy, which the OP has not mentioned. And then i would remove or modify my statement.

I don't see anyone jealous or bitter in this thread. I think that is a misinterpretation of comments.

Last edited by matisse12; 04-13-2017 at 01:56 AM..

Old 04-13-2017, 12:36 AM

908 posts, read 961,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Funny how some people on here get so jealous of another persons happiness. I guess there's some bitter (older) people in not great financial positions that can't handle the fact that not everyone has to wait till 62 or 65 to retire.
yup. i'm starting to see that. my post was just a lighthearted introduction to the group and i've been called "gloating" and having people demand to know my complete financial background to see if my husband is supporting me or not -- in which case I'm falsely claiming to be "retired" lol.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:47 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
so does retirement only count if you and our spouse do it together?
but it's true, i have decided to be a stay at home parent as well. I guess i called it "retirement" b/c i'm not planning to go back into the workforce when the kids are grown, like i know a lot of SAHP plan to do.
i've worked a long time, i barely even took any maternity leave for my kids. i don't feel like i'm financially depending on my spouse -- my income is what paid off our house.
hey me too-
I'm speaking from the other side when my husband decided to retire (without consulting me)- and I had to keep working.
I paid for 2 houses, and worked too during pregnancy.
Well one divorce later and some reallocation of funds (good thing properties sell well in the bay area)- I too am "semi- retired", but looking back-
can't help but feel its more "real" when you both can do it financially, or if its just you.
So yea maybe a bit bitter about unilateral "retirement " or semi retirement

but yea if you can swing it and your partner is truly in agreement and not resentful. Good for you.

---

Old 04-13-2017, 01:53 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Not to be contentious, but how is the OP not dependent upon her husband's salary? He's bringing in the money to live on for himself, the OP, and children. The OP is not independently wealthy. I read that the OP said her income paid off their house therefore she thinks she is not dependent upon her husband's salary.

But going forward it seems obvious that she and the children are dependent upon her husband's salary. I mean why say the OP is not dependent upon her husband's salary when she obviously is.

Unless I am misunderstanding something. Just because the OP's salary paid off the house, it doesn't mean that she could suddenly go forward beginning now at age 47 without her husband's salary to support the family for the years to come.

Saying one is not dependent upon a husband's salary - in other words, not admitting it - doesn't make sense. You can't have it both ways - stopping work at 47 and not admitting you need your husband's salary to support the family. (the OP has not mentioned receiving a pension at age 47 which could support herself, but that detail can be filled in by the OP if she cares to, and that would partially change my comments )

Unless the OP, the children, and the husband are independently wealthy, which the OP has not mentioned. And then i would remove or modify my statement.

I don't see anyone jealous or bitter in this thread. I think that is a misinterpretation of comments.

I think thats what I was trying to pinpoint, retirement means to me, that no one is working, and you are truly "retired" from working for a living.
Might be a minor detail, but thats what "retirement" means to me-
(myself - I am trying to figure out whether is feasible to truly retire, and live off holdings and investments, so far its good insurance to stay relevant in the job market)...

Old 04-13-2017, 02:01 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
What to do? Sleep till noon.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:19 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
For me, in a similar position as the OP, it will be when I don't have to cook dinner every night or do school pickups and dropoffs and everything else. Maybe I'm a cab driver
Three of my closest neighbors are all moms of 3 children and stopped working when their first child was born. I unfortunately was not able to have children so went the career work path. These women were out the door every day before me as I would pass them parked at the school bus stop waiting for the bus with their kids, and when I was having my leisure cup of coffee on the weekend reading the paper their cars were going all day taking their kids to various activities and I would get tired just watching them.

These women chose to be SAHM's because 1st they wanted to raise their own children, and 2nd the cost of childcare is outrageous and they would be pretty much handing almost their entire checks over to pay for the care of their children. Although as tough as some of my nursing jobs have been when the clock struck 4 my work day was over which was not the case for my SAHM neighbors.

Honestly, just watching my SAHM neighbors all these years I think if this had been my life I would be more than ready to retire at 47 because IMO 20 years of 24/7 SAHM work probably equals 50+ years of 40 hour a week work.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:49 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
I don't know what my status is exactly. it's the first time in 27 years where I am not working. i quit my job and today was my last day. we don't need the money, i've lost interest in my work, and my family needs my time right now. i can't really imagine ever going back into the working world but who knows, maybe in a month i'll be bored and want to go back.
what should i do my first week of retirement?

Maybe not the first week, but maybe the first 6 months....

Start exercising if you haven't been. Gradually. Make sure you eat healthy - and prepare for a long post-retirement life. Catch up your sleep. Don't drink too much alcohol with your new found time. If you haven't already, develop hobbies (photography, music, sports like tennis, kayaking, biking, golf, etc etc). Travel our country? Hit the road? (read more into the thread, looks like children will postpone travel).

Get everything financial in order (will, POA, medical POA, trusts, life insurance). Make sure your family is taken care of if you meet an early demise. Now that I think back on my own situation, I considered my new job as "BucFan Trust Manager".....I worked out my investments for the long run, studied up on finances, took some seminars on investing for retirement, trusts, etc (for my personal education only).

Decompress in the first week. It might take awhile to get out of the work mode and having less responsibilities. Read a book.

Finish work around the house, yard.....there are probably projects that you were always looking at doing.

If you get bored, volunteer your time to your church, community, schools, Vets, hospitals, good causes.

I retired at 47 financially independent, hit critical mass. Never returned (eight yrs later).

Last edited by BucFan; 04-13-2017 at 04:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement