Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 06:53 AM

110 posts, read 153,844 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are very intrigued with some of the Robson/Trilogy/Del Webb communities we have toured in AZ. I'd like to know if you members who have taken the plunge are happy with your decision? Are they keeping up the community? Are the people as friendly as they seem? Costs what you thought? Are there any pluses or minuses you didn't consider that popped up? I know there are lots of rules and I'm ok with that. I want the community to look great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 07:16 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Happy. People are more friendly than I thought they would be. Community is kept up and I live in an old one. Costs are lower than expected. Rules don't affect reasonable people and they weren't written for them.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:30 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
Which ones do you like? We have been visiting different 55+ active communities and just returned from Nevada and Az.

In PHX area, we liked Sun City Grand but my DH felt it was too far from the city.

In Nevada we liked Sun City Summerlin -- facilities are not as nice as SCGrand but prefer location in Las Vegas and surrounding community.

Next visit we make is Ponte Vedra in Jacksonville, FL area

Old 07-30-2016, 12:47 PM

110 posts, read 153,844 times
We have visited Pebblecreek (great location and amenities but not real scenic), Saddlebrooke Ranch (early days and we keep hearing it's windy and it was when we were there), Quail Creek (beautiful but wrong side of Tucson, rather be north side), Vistancia (far out and a little standoffish from residents), Sun City Festival (good all around). We are interested to visit Del Webb Dove Mountain and Trilogy Wickenburg next trip.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:14 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
We crossed Sun City Festival off our list because too remote, and didn't find their community center to be as nice as Grand.

We also crossed all Tthe Rio Verde communities off our list -- nearest shopping was Fountain Hills or Suprise and also too remote

Old 07-30-2016, 01:14 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
If you do a search, above, you will find other threads about this same question.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:54 PM

6,625 posts, read 7,338,098 times
Assuming you do not need to stay put due to family etc.

I would assume you will find more positive benefits to a retirement community than other places.

I think larger communities as they can be financially more stable and offer more activities.

Moving into a new construction area will probably be a little more friendly than an older area of the community since everyone is new.

A plus is when life gives you a problem you will probably find neighbors who will give you a helping hand.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:03 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
I would like to read about some 55+ retirement communities of larger, more luxurious homes that have decent-sized lots, an abundance of amenities (great gyms and several pools, preferably indoors and out,), yet are not golf-centered.

We hate cactus or anywhere that residents have cheap-looking gravel/hardscaped front yards.

We have a strong preference for enclosed yards and nice landscaping (considerate of droughts, though).

Old 07-30-2016, 07:56 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile Would live to find...

An over 55 community like The Villages but not as large. The same concept but much closer to the beach.

I have heard from many that live there that people are very friendly and the few I know of that live there are very happy with their choice.

I've always wondered why developers don't go into these small towns that are declining and build (cheap land).

Old 07-30-2016, 08:11 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingFan View Post
We have visited Pebblecreek (great location and amenities but not real scenic), Saddlebrooke Ranch (early days and we keep hearing it's windy and it was when we were there), Quail Creek (beautiful but wrong side of Tucson, rather be north side), Vistancia (far out and a little standoffish from residents), Sun City Festival (good all around). We are interested to visit Del Webb Dove Mountain and Trilogy Wickenburg next trip.
Pebblecreek is nice but a little too far out for me.

Saddlebrooke Ranch was windy when I went to look at it. I was told it is always like that. Nothing like hot wind hitting you in the face.

I am different from many. I don't care about being scenic. I don't care too much about the houses since that is a place to sleep and keep your stuff. Amenities and people are what matters to me. I did not move here to stay home and say look how nice my house is. Right now I have the smallest and most basic of anyplace I ever lived and have never been happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement