Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:06 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
anitak OUCH!. I remember the day my knee dislocated while running. I didn't know it at the time but I had done some serious damage. I flipped part of my meniscus and folded it inside the joint. It never happened again but 15 years later my pain was so great that I had to have surgery. That is when I was reminded of that time when the surgeon asked me how it happened. It was a day later that I remembered that time I was running downhill and my knee did a flip. The pain went away real quick and didn't bother me again for a long time. So I can feel your pain.

I had my surgery about 10 years ago. I was told no more 2 mile runs so I had to ask the army to allow me to do the alternate APFT (annual physical fitness test) for running which by the way wasn't much better. 2.5 mile walk is no piece of cake. 1 month of PT and normal use has given my mobility back to me. What kept me in the army for so long (38+ years) is that I was able limit my running and shock causing events.

I am holding off replacing the knee based on advice of 2 surgeons while the VA wanted me to get it done. I will wait until technology advances just a bit more. They have made great strides in knee surgery. I think here will be a time when the surgery will be nearly perfect.

I didn't realize that the military services would keep someone with your impairments on active duty.

Dad told me stories of guys who were rejected for flat feet and this was WWII when he served.

And even when I was in service during the VietNam era, young guys were 4F for having minor musculoskeletal issues and others who were a bit overweight and had slightly elevated blood pressure readings which might have benefitted from some exercise were classified 1Y.

I assume that once you qualify for military service and don't have a combat MOS, they're more likely to keep you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 02:36 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Replacement is the only solution for bone on bone. So of course Schiffs wouldn't work. I know many (including dad) that have had replacements including hip. No picnic, but universally well worth it.
Totally agree with the above. I had knee pain for a really long time (years) and finally had it looked at by an ortho, MRI was done, bone on bone. Total knee replacement. I spent the two weeks in rehab, got excellent P.T., was determined to get well FAST. And I did.

My other knee is starting to behave the same as the one I had replaced. Might have to consider it.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:41 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I had tears in both (R & L) Inboard Meniscus, ended up having both removed. Now my Right Knee is close to Bone on Bone, and I have had two rounds of some sort of Gel Injection, first round of three injections lasted about 3 months.....second round lasted about a month and a half. I just ice it when it's starts to cause pain and maybe drop some Avil.
Yes, the injectable gel shots are Synvisc Synvisc-One® Official Site
For a lot of people, it doesn't really help, and for others it helps for some months.

I had Synvisc shots 15 years ago. At first it helped a bit for several months - then with a 2nd round of a shot, it stopped helping. Synvisc didn't work for my Dad.

There are cortisone shots which can sometimes give temporary short-term help. Works better for some than others, of course. You're not supposed to get too many cortisone shots in the lifetime of the osteoarthritic knee because it then becomes harmful. Getting cortisone shots usually stops working and the shots are no longer effective altogether after a while anyway. Cortisone can be a good stop-gap method for a while.

Taking the prescription drug, Celebrex, did not help at all - had zero effectiveness.

Last edited by matisse12; 04-22-2017 at 03:50 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 02:59 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I dont really care who believes me. If my posts about how it's changed my life can help even one person, it's worth the criticism from others.
thanks for the recommendation, I take chondroitin for protection but if the knee starts aching I'll give a try

as for the person recommending heat, I always thought ice was the immediate remedy, but could be wrong

Old 04-22-2017, 04:15 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
thanks for the recommendation, I take chondroitin for protection but if the knee starts aching I'll give a try

as for the person recommending heat, I always thought ice was the immediate remedy, but could be wrong
It varies by individual and probably by the area being treated. Icing makes my knee hurt more. Gentle heat helps.

When I was recovering from spine surgery, I used ice packs four times a day.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:00 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
I had bone on bone, got it replaced. It was actually quite easy, no pain except for the PT bending my leg back but much more a breeze than anticipated.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:42 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I didn't realize that the military services would keep someone with your impairments on active duty.

Dad told me stories of guys who were rejected for flat feet and this was WWII when he served.

And even when I was in service during the VietNam era, young guys were 4F for having minor musculoskeletal issues and others who were a bit overweight and had slightly elevated blood pressure readings which might have benefitted from some exercise were classified 1Y.

I assume that once you qualify for military service and don't have a combat MOS, they're more likely to keep you.

They do accept flat feet now. They are selective it is true. But I have been and just retired from service. My knee problem surfaced in my last 10 years and was able to remain because I could do my job and my need for running was limited to moving under direct and indirect fire. When you reach age and rank some of your combat duties are less strenuous.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:52 PM

890 posts, read 882,141 times
My wife has the bone on bone knee situation. What has helped remarkably, within a month, was giving her 3 supplements a day:
glycine 1000 mg capsule
gelatin 550 mg capsule
niacinamide 500 mg capsole

Reading reviews on Amazon show these supplements have helped many people.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:04 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I find that very hard to believe. But more power to you.

I also have taken it, and it did nothing.

But that's not why I do not believe you. But if you feel results, then you feel results.

(and also I've read poster silibran's testimony to her glucosamine/chrondrytin or similar pills preventably (as a prevention) too)

If it were as easy as taking Schiff Move Free Ultra pills or other similar pills, several 100,000's of people per year would not be getting full knee replacements surgically each year.
One time when I was waiting in a doctor's office, I overheard a patient ask the doc he saw about the effectiveness of chondroitin sulfate/glucosamine medications on joint pain. The doctor told him some people find it helpful, others did not. He suggested that the guy try it for a month to six weeks, or so, and see if it helped him. He cautioned the guy to try it for at least a month before he dismissed it as not doing anything.

I tried taking chondroitin sulfate/glucosamine tablets a number of years ago when I had knee pain from what turned out to be a torn meniscus. I don't know if it was this medication, or just nature taking its course but it seems the meniscal tear got better and I was lucky enough that I didn't have a significant amount if any arthritis in my knees.

So IMO it'd be hard to say whether these supplements have actual biological or medicinal properties that help some people but not others, or it's the power of the Placebo Effect that helps those who swear by the curative (or at least alleviation of symptoms) of the chondroitin sulfate/gluvosamine/MSM preparations. But I always figure, if the stuff helps, makes somebody feel better, who cares how it works!

Old 04-22-2017, 06:41 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I was talked into getting both knees replaced due to bone-on-bone, even though I had no pain. Worst decision ever. Now I do have pain and the knees are even weaker, plus no more squatting, crouching or kneeling. Hence, no more of my previous hobbies. Various supplements never helped me either, though I don't doubt those who benefited.

The weak knees make it hard to even get out of a chair. My elliptical machine is arriving soon so I hope that will help strengthen, but I am dubious because that never helped before even combined with my active lifestyle.

Real quality-of-life issues at this point.

Do you know why your surgical full knee replacements were not successful? Just a person in the percentage of knee replacements which are not successful, or was there a particular reason or set of reasons why it did work for you that you know of? sorry to hear that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement