Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:22 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times

Advertisements

March 1, 2015, after spending a particularly miserable winter in Tennessee, hubs got me bundled up in the truck, and we headed down to Florida to get away from all the cold for a couple of weeks. The minute we were over the border to Florida, he said "and while we are here, we are going to find a place to buy, and sell the Tennessee house". I was, and a lot of the time, still am mortified by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 01:29 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
My moves to France and Nevada were pretty impulsive and I have no regrets about either.

Other than that, all my other moves were about work. I loved living in Utah and I even thought Winter was my favorite season. Then they forced me to go to Minnesota and I learned I despise Winter! Every move taught me something!

Old 04-25-2017, 01:32 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
DH and I are currently in the over analyzing stage.

We have 4 years to drive our selves crazy with research and bugging people here about each location.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-25-2017, 01:33 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
My moves to France and Nevada were pretty impulsive and I have no regrets about either.

Other than that, all my other moves were about work. I loved living in Utah and I even thought Winter was my favorite season. Then they forced me to go to Minnesota and I learned I despise Winter! Every move taught me something!
Yup, winter in MN will cure you... I grew up there. We moved to MT from HI, and everybody was telling me I would never last because of the "winter" but after MN, they have a cold season here in MT, but not a "winter!"

Old 04-25-2017, 02:02 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
A week after making the trip to see our second grandchild, DH came home and told me we were pre-approved for a mortgage and if we didn't move to FL now, by the time we retired we would miss the grandkids growing up. Who was this man?!

I was not prepared and had not given any serious thought to living in FL, but I fully retired and he took a relocation package a few months after the move. We closed on the house in FL three months after seeing the new baby. That was one whirlwind summer.

It still makes me smile when I think about it. Impulsive was not an adjective I would have used for us before.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-25-2017 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-25-2017, 03:56 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,983 times
Yes, I've written about this before. I will be much briefer in this post so it may alter the story a bit. In 2005 I suspected that there would be a recession in Florida. I didn't realize it would be across the country. In 2007 I sold my business, sold my house, had the moving company pack all my stuff and keep it in storage. The dog and I stayed in a hotel. I flew to TX to investigate it because I read all the stories about how great it is and I thought the economy would be better. I found a business to buy. I bought a house sight unseen for cash. I called the moving company and had them deliver my belongs on the date I closed on the house. My friends were very vocal in telling me I needed psychiatric help.

I met the man I would eventually marry here. I have had this store for about 10 years. The real estate market has been increasing steadily, so purchasing a home here turned out to be a good investment. I like the medical care I get here.

I don't particularly like the weather here. The summers are very hot and the winters get cold. I don't particularly like the food here. The emphasis is on TexMex and BBQ which are really unhealthy foods. I am lonely here. People I know are acquaintances and not friends. I get bored here easily. I liked FL much better for entertainment, food qualify, ease of making friends.

All in all the move has been a mixed bag.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:49 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
I don't thin it is a good idea to act too impulsively - the best advice I can give is to always rent for at least one year before you purchase a home in a new area.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:49 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
I don't thin it is a good idea to act too impulsively - the best advice I can give is to always rent for at least one year before you purchase a home in a new area.
So you flush $10,000 to $20,000 or more down the toilet in rent?

You can find out 99% of what you need to know online. Newspapers, store ads, church bulletins, Google maps, restaurants, etc. You can zoom in on a neighborhood, check traffic, and find out who lives next door.

I moved to a place I had never been to before and I'm thrilled with my decision.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:27 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
So you flush $10,000 to $20,000 or more down the toilet in rent?

You can find out 99% of what you need to know online. Newspapers, store ads, church bulletins, Google maps, restaurants, etc. You can zoom in on a neighborhood, check traffic, and find out who lives next door.

I moved to a place I had never been to before and I'm thrilled with my decision.
But those things don't tell you what the culture is, what the vibe is, if people are friendly, how well you will be accepted...all the things that you can't tell til you've lived there. I've impulsively moved a LOT. One that I regretted was a move to the Jersey shore. Really fun place in summer, and I liked the quiet in winter. Except I didn't realize how "Podunk backwoods" the atmosphere was when all the shoobies left. I had moved from a big-city metro suburb, and was not used to the ridiculous small-town politics, like spending all their time recalling mayors or complaining about the DJ being fired from the Elks. And the gossip. And your car being recognized wherever you were parked and then nosy people asking why you were there. And having to drive an hour to decent shopping and two hours for decent healthcare. I left after two years....lost money, of course but oh well...live and learn.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:20 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
We moved to Central Mexico....twice!

When we bought a home at Lake Chapala (Ajijic) in 2008, we thought it'd be one of our 'five year plans' we were living under, since our early retirement at ages 50 and 51. We really loved it there, but in 2012, my FIL needed our help back in the US, so we sold our MXN home and returned to the US.

We cared for my FIL until his death in late 2015.

With no kids, no more eldercare issues and plenty of assets and income, we debated where to live, now ages 64 and 65. We had traveled to Spain many times and gave that some consideration.

But in the end, we were drawn again to MX.

Yesterday we signed the deed on our new (to us) home in Ajijic. We couldn't be happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement