Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 11:28 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,989,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I read "throwing caution to the wind" and "impulsive", not bold in the OP's post and answered accordingly. Let me clarify my answer.

We moved on an impulse without a lot of thought and yes, the grandkids were the catalyst. DH's job was going to go national and he figured he could bridge between both places for a few months. Oh, it went national alright, 18 months later: corporate-speak for soon. In the meantime, a position in the Southeast was posted within his company with more visibility and money. He interviewed and got it along with a relocation package.

Moving to be near grandkids may "hardly qualify as a bold move", in your world, but it was for us. One day we were going about our daily lives in NY and three months later we were living in FL. FL was never on our radar for retirement as we had no plans of retiring anywhere.

That impulsive move did pay for relocation, no state income tax for the past five years and living in a FL coastal town with sunny beaches. Poor us, we just live by the grandkids and aren't bold enough for you. I can live with that.

If I got offered a position with my company that offered ......"more visibility and money and a relocation package"......plus was near my kids/grandkids.........I wouldn't call that " throwing caution to the wind,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 11:36 AM

4,533 posts, read 3,747,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
If I got offered a position with my company that offered ......"more visibility and money and a relocation package"......plus was near my kids/grandkids.........I wouldn't call that " throwing caution to the wind,
Ah, but that position was offered three months after we purchased our home in FL, not before. It wasn't even posted until after we closed on the house. If he hadn't gotten this other position.....

This was a total fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants positivity and hoping for the best decision. That is so DH, I was the one with chest pain and anxiety over in the corner. It's not always easy being the yin to his yang.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-27-2017 at 12:28 PM..

Old 04-27-2017, 11:58 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,119,991 times
I moved to Sweden with my boyfriend, after knowing him for only a few months. I was nervous about it, but he was leaving and I was in love. I figured, what do I have to lose? I had more than enough money for a plane ticket home and to restart my career. I did not speak Swedish, so there was that, but I quickly learned enough to get by. I married him six months later. Best decision of my life.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:58 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,403,200 times
It's been interesting reading both the successes and moves that resulted in some regret. We don't have grandkids, so that understandable impetus isn't a factor for us. Thanks to all who've taken the time to share their thoughts and experiences.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:36 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,392,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Ah, but that position was offered three months after we purchased our home in FL, not before. It wasn't even posted until after we closed on the house. If he hadn't gotten this other position.....

This was a total fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants positivity and hoping for the best decision. That is so DH, I was the one with chest pain and anxiety over in the corner. It's not always easy being the yin to his yang.
I would agree it was impulsive, no matter what the reason. I did the same with a relocation to CA years ago. Interviewed for the same job (promotion) within my company, one at home in PA and one in CA. I told myself, whoever offers me the job first, that's where I'm going. But I had always dreamed of living in CA! It turned out that I had a luncheon interview set up by the PA boss on a Sat. Figured I was going to get the offer....so I put a bug in the CA boss's ear that I kind of needed to hear from her by Friday. And I did! I think the PA folks were in shock that I actually was going to do it! Wonderful opportunity, don't regret a thing about it, only that I moved back home too soon.

To me, that was definitely a "bold" move!

Old 04-28-2017, 09:44 AM

9,827 posts, read 7,692,948 times
We moved from Ohio to New Mexico to California to South Carolina. Loved every place. Great adventures. We think we're staying put now, but you never know.

The first two moves were due to job changes. The last one was very impulsive. We had an idea we wanted to move to the southeast, came out for a weekend to check things out in a three state area, found a house we liked and moved in 6 weeks later.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:01 AM

205 posts, read 205,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We're retired and my SO and I are seriously considering moving to another city in a state we've never lived in. Unfortunately we've been considering the move for several years, thoroughly researching many cities and states even visiting several - and it's finally dawning on us we may be overthinking this. No place affordable is perfect, and there will be risks no matter what (moving is expensive and costly for starters). But we both moved many times as kids (military brats) and adults (job related) and seemed to adapt to every city, state or country we landed in. Sure we liked some more than others, but we didn't hate any location.

We do know we need to live in or near a large metro area for a variety of reasons.

Maybe as inspiration for us, did some of you throw caution to the wind (relative to us at least) and successfully relocate to another state you'd never lived in before?
My whole life is essentially a spontaneous relocation but mine is essentially academic and work related...I relocated to Mexico in 2005, spontanteously and that was a nightmare...it turned into a giant roadtrip across all of Mexico; In 2013, I bounced from Santa Fe, NM to Amarillo, TX after dealiing with the state government as a QUALIFIED college graduate employee new hire (another pointless career nightmare;the only beneficial was the starting salary )...I researched Amarillo's economy before moving here though and I love Amarillo as a city and people are too bad either (been here 4 years) but, our social life is nil here and the Jobs for COLLEGE GRADUATES are scarce; on more than one occassion I actually accepted a job that paid $10/hr (a career detriment) and the best around here has been $15/hr...So we are about to relocate AGAIN...either to a larger city or Russia/Europe for career and nationality (citizenship) purposes...I love travelling ( I never get tired of it ) but the whole economy/relocate scenario is getting old quickly...

Old 04-28-2017, 10:58 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,445,832 times
Not in retirement but I left Wisconsin for California 40 years ago. Had a sister nearby.

Left California for Utah - with my spouse - 27 years ago. We did not know a soul here.

Plan on retiring to California - Sister and her family and many friends still there.

Moving there because it's familiar and much warmer.

Risk taking is a learned talent. We know when it's a good idea and when it's not.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:26 AM

554 posts, read 744,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Never been, but it looks absolutely gorgeous. Glad it has worked out for you!

The thing that I have seen foul up retirement plans the most is: Grandkids. Once they come along, the whole plan can change.
... That's what's happening to our plans! DW has 3 very-young grandkids, here in Sillycon Valley; I have one teen-aged grandson, back in TEXAS.
Guess who gets "priority" when it comes to making Family plans for vacations, get-togethers, etc.?

Until just last year, I would make efforts to travel to see my grandson, usually for his birthday. That's pretty-much curtailed now, since he has so many friends that a grandparent can't get a word in, edge-wise ... unless it's to spend $$$ on him. I can do that from home.
Of course, the probable "remedy" for that is for us to move closer, so that we can attend birthdays, anniversaries, football games, etc. But it won't be an impulsive move ... It'll need to be well-thought-out ...

Old 04-29-2017, 09:56 AM

273 posts, read 502,684 times
This thread sounds like all the thought processing before packing up and moving to FLORIDA. Living there was life-changing in that you got introduced to "crazy". Healthy, active living there and great weather with a craziness factor is what you may need to try. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement