Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:05 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times

Advertisements

Many of the foreign born nurses I work with send money home to their parents... in some cultures I think it to be common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 09:34 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,964,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Here in Peru it is unheard of not too take care of your parents. I have been supporting my MIL for the past 15 years (3 years older than me). Now that my YW's sisters are older we each contribute 1/3 as her son refuses to help.
I come from a culture with similar beliefs. However, my beliefs are a combination of my heritage and American culture. If my parents were foolishly spending all their lives and not saving for retirement; they would be on their own come financial troubles. However, my parents were very frugal and responsible with their finances. So I have already told my father that he can move in anytime he wants if he has financial problems and he wont have to pay me a dime. Fortunately for him, he hasn't had to take me up on that offer yet.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:51 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Why View Post
When my uncle left my aunt with two kids and only a part time income with no money or child support, it left an impression on everyone. She struggled to survive for years and only made a modest middle-class income for years afterward. She is now retired and living on a small social security payment of about $2,000 a month. She has basically no savings or investments. (She kept working until she was 70 and then started collecting.)

Her two kids turned out OK and make good money. Both of her kids send Mom $750 a month so she can survive financially in retirement.

Do you think this type of situation is common? (Kids help support their parents financially in retirement.)

This is an extreme case and not the norm.

I must say that the mother must have done a great job working and raising those two and they are grateful.

Too often, I witness the opposite.
Retired people struggling because they just can't learn to say no whenever their adult kids ask for money.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:25 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,259 times
I think if the parents have done their best for their kids, the kids should do their best for their parents.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:06 PM

396 posts, read 421,021 times
I would always help my parents and inlaws as much as I can.

However....I read something a long time ago that I agree with 100%. The best two things a parent can do for their children is 1. take care of their health and 2. take care of their retirement.

Kids don't need to be on every single sports team, and trips to Disney every year. What your kids will need are parents who can take care of themselves when the kids are middle aged and trying to save for their OWN retirement.

To expect someone to pay for your retirement while they are trying to pay their current bills and save for their own retirement is unrealistic and frankly selfish.

To help someone who needs help is one thing. To help someone who just worked minimally in their working years and now wants to be a free loader is something else.

And I realize it's common in places for kids to take care of their parents. Have you ever noticed that these are places that are often 3rd world countries or close to it? Maybe one generation taking care of 3 (parents caring for themselves, their children, and their parents) isn't such a good idea. Especially today with ever rising costs of housing and healthcare and wages staying stagnant.

Just my thoughts as someone who'd rather work 3 jobs in my working years than depend on my children to take care of me in retirement.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:08 PM

396 posts, read 421,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
I think if the parents have done their best for their kids, the kids should do their best for their parents.

True but if the best one can do is depend on someone else to take care of them 100%, not money here and there, then they did something very wrong in their working years.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:03 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,304,358 times
One big factor that could influence this is the cost of College.

Most parents had income growth that greatly trailed the rise in the cost of college by a huge amount. That put a dent in the amount of savings available for retirement.

I know the old saw that "you cannot borrow for retirement but you can borrow for college..."

However, many parents did as much as possible to avoid having their children take on college debt. I hope their children appreciated that.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:11 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Since the Boomer generation is just now retiring (the really big bulge of them) it likely isn't too common yet.

I have seen a lot of us in the Boomer generation sending our Greatest Generation parents money, paying their property taxes, buying them groceries, etc. (and did so myself). It was a fallacy that they all had "great" pensions. In fact, less than 1/4 of them even had pensions past Social Security.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Since the Boomer generation is just now retiring (the really big bulge of them) it likely isn't too common yet.

I have seen a lot of us in the Boomer generation sending our Greatest Generation parents money, paying their property taxes, buying them groceries, etc. (and did so myself). It was a fallacy that they all had "great" pensions. In fact, less than 1/4 of them even had pensions past Social Security.
I imagine generous pensions (combined with a growing prosperous economy) were more a character of the Silent Generation.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:50 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,260 times
Even after being retired for more then a decade, I still have relatives that want money from us.

I have never heard any retired people getting money from their relatives to supplement their retirement. This could be because no responsible person would want to admit they needed help. Parents that take money from their kids are jeopardizing their kids life's and retirement futures to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement