Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:30 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

And we’re not even talking about the soul-crushing sense of despair. They’re actually unhealthy.

A "significant presence" of multidrug-resistant bacteria, like E. coli, has been discovered among a quarter of nursing home residents, says a new study conducted by researchers at the Columbia University School of Nursing. In one facility alone, over 59 percent of residents tested positive for a bacterial infection.

Nursing homes continue to be just the worst: Study - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 03:36 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Not surprising at all. All those compromised people with crappy immune systems. I work in a hospital, good city hospital, and there are germs a plenty.

Last edited by brava4; 04-29-2017 at 04:13 PM..

Old 04-29-2017, 04:25 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Not surprising at all. All those compromised people with crappy immune systems. I work in a hospital, good city hospital, and there are germs a plenty.
That happens in most communal living situations, and as brava says, especially if they're not healthy anyway. Also, the folks have had their ENTIRE lives to pick up those infections from likely multiple hospital stays and this is just their last place (probably).

Old 04-29-2017, 06:55 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
This underscores the importance of having LTCi or being able to self pay and get into quality facilities. Being dependent on Medicaid leaves you open to oh well the article says it all.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:32 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
One of this area's nursing homes has been fined for the sexual abuse that has gone on between the residents.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
The place my dad was didn't look bad, but by the time he arrived, he wouldn't have noticed. He didn't know me anymore. When I visited, him asking once in a while who I was, he complained that people came in at night and did strange things to him. And sometimes he'd not see me and was talking with the strange visitors.

They fed him and he ate and he arrived with failing health, and I don't think he really noticed how good or bad it was. I'd sit in the car for a while before I could go in, sealing myself for him not remembering who I was anymore. I wouldn't doubt that there was more chance of disease with the number of people, but given he was failing fast, I don't think it made a difference.

We got a call he was dying, and came. He was out but I told him I loved him and held his hand. His heart failed that night. He was already shutting down that evening. For me it was the release he would want.

I know if he'd been 'there' and if there was a way, I'd have tried to do something else, but the man who was Dad had already gone, and only his body remained, still breathing.

My greatest fear isn't that I'll someday leave this plain of existance, and pass on to another, but do not want to go too late.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:04 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Here's our plan.

We bought a home in Central Mexico WITH a separate casita. For now, the casita will be used by friends and family when they visit.

Should we need in-home care, the casita will be used by our caretakers. The cost will be minimal as we will give them free room and board. Others have told me that a couple would be happy to have the casita (it's located next to the pool) and 3,000 pesos a month in salary (about $165 USD).

We made this decision after seeing my MIL in a nursing home after a severe stroke for 2+ years; and recently my FIL in a nursing home for a few months before he died. These nursing homes were in DC-Metro and were highly rated. The monthly cost was $8500 to $9500 a month (my MIL needed more care).

Old 04-30-2017, 09:06 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Here's our plan.

We bought a home in Central Mexico WITH a separate casita. For now, the casita will be used by friends and family when they visit.

Should we need in-home care, the casita will be used by our caretakers. The cost will be minimal as we will give them free room and board. Others have told me that a couple would be happy to have the casita (it's located next to the pool) and 3,000 pesos a month in salary (about $165 USD).

We made this decision after seeing my MIL in a nursing home after a severe stroke for 2+ years; and recently my FIL in a nursing home for a few months before he died. These nursing homes were in DC-Metro and were highly rated. The monthly cost was $8500 to $9500 a month (my MIL needed more care).
I can see why you plan to do this in Mexico - no one (here) would or should be on-call 24/7 for $80/month (each) whether getting free room and board or not.

It may be doable, but I don't know how good the care would be - you're also assuming help getting up and to the toilet and feeding is all that would be needed - I don't think you'll get help with catheters or anything requiring even minimal healthcare training for that amount. Nursing homes do have RN's and LPN's as well as CNA's on staff.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:54 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I can see why you plan to do this in Mexico - no one (here) would or should be on-call 24/7 for $80/month (each) whether getting free room and board or not.

It may be doable, but I don't know how good the care would be - you're also assuming help getting up and to the toilet and feeding is all that would be needed - I don't think you'll get help with catheters or anything requiring even minimal healthcare training for that amount. Nursing homes do have RN's and LPN's as well as CNA's on staff.
When we lived in Mexico from 2008-2012, there was an elderly British lady living across from us; her son lived on the same street.

She started with part-time care, days only and as she aged it proceeded to in-home care with more and more help. She and her family were and are, quite particular. She had wonderful care. She died a few years after we left Mexico at age 93.

Because we live in an area that has a lot of retired CDN, Euro and US expats, there is a burgeoning business in both in-home care, and assisted living and nursing homes. We prefer and have planned for on-site care-takers such as my neighbor had.

BTW...the assisted living and nursing homes here are far nicer than any I've seen in the US. They average about 1300 USD a month for assisted living and up to 2,000 USD a month for nursing home care. These quotes are from facilities owned and operated by US or CDN expats. There are others owned by MXN nationals that I have heard are less expensive but do not know the details.

Here's an PBS story from 2015 about local nursing homes/assisted living:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/forei...ocking-mexico/

Also independent senior living is available; a casita at this place runs under 1K a month. It's right on the lakefront, too! Abbeyfield-ajijic.org – Abbeyfield-ajijic.org living in Ajijic

Old 04-30-2017, 05:17 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
This underscores the importance of having LTCi or being able to self pay and get into quality facilities. Being dependent on Medicaid leaves you open to oh well the article says it all.
Financially, this isn't an option for the bulk of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement