Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 09:32 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have not and will not live in Mexico. One visit was enough. I do know several people who tried and left. Anyone interested can merely google search for "crime in Mexico". That should be enough.
Had you also said before you didn't like any aspect of Florida? Are you still in the East then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 09:40 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I cannot think of a worse title than 'Bucket List'. (and you used it twice!) Accentuate the positive, and positive thoughts to go with your enjoyable liberty and other enjoyable pursuits.
Have you ever bought clothing at the Dress Barn? I always feel like I should moo or oink when I walk in the door.

The first item on my bucket list was from fourth grade when I did a report on the Mayans and read about the great pyramid of Kukulcan. I was certain that some day I wanted to climb that pyramid. By the time I had the money and time to visit it had been closed off to climbing but I still got to see it.

Another large one was learning to scuba dive and visiting the reef off the island of Cozumel. I had just signed up for the lessons in September of 2001 and became uncertain whether we would be able to even travel that winter so cancelled. Since then I have satisfied myself with snorkeling and had given up on scuba. But this year I met a woman my age where I winter who is still an active scuba diver so I may have to reconsider my options. It might happen yet!

I can safely say I've got the major items crossed off. The last thing I want to do is lay around waiting to leave this earthly sphere and regret that I didn't do something I really wanted and was able to do.

Now I'm down to the simpler things that I can take or leave. One of those is making marvelous desserts. Last year I got my very first springform pan and experimented with that. This year I'm learning how to use a food processor.

A year ago I bought an electronic grand piano thinking that should I have to move into a group setting I could still play with my earphones in. But, woe is me, a great deal of practice is needed before I enjoy my playing again. I have some problems with my left hand and think good piano playing years are over.

I have reams of poetry, essays, bibliographical material stacked in my bookcase and am not ready for it yet. That's rocking chair stuff. But some day perhaps I'll try to make a "book" of me and put it all into some kind of cohesive form.

Four generations of family pictures patiently await the two of us putting them in order and onto the computer. There will be so much reminiscing I imagine this will be an endless task (that probably no one will ever look at again.)

There are all the letters my mother and father exchanged for the four years that he was serving in WWII. I've never opened a one. Perhaps I'll do that some day. I also saved every card and letter my parents sent to my children.

There are hundreds of letters that my husband and I exchanged while dating and over the years.

For the last ten years I've been slowly creating a rock garden around a small fish pond - a work in progress and a lifelong desire. And there are a number of yard plants I still want to experiment with.

I'd like to visit the Harley plant in Milwaukee, WI, the Smithsonian in Washington DC,, the Mutter Museum in Philadelphia, PA and Marine Museum in Quantico, VA. But I can also enjoy documentaries and online access to these things.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:42 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I guess I think of a bucket list as a very specific list of things you want to do like a trip to the Canary Islands; going parachuting; going to a World Series ballgame; meeting the Dali Lama; spending New Year's in Paris on the Eiffel Tower.

Not so much...golfing...learning how to swim....sleeping in and having breakfast in bed every morning...ya know? ....but that's just me.
I agree with it being specific things and for some reason I dislike the term bucket list.

Mentioning the Dalai Lama brought up a memory that made me laugh. The Dalai Lama was visiting in the NY area years ago. And yes, when discussing his upcoming visit, I actually said "I would kill to see the Dalai Lama".
Maybe in the next life and with a new list of things to do.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I agree with it being specific things and for some reason I dislike the term bucket list.
Maybe because once it's empty you "kick it." Heh.

That made me so curious that I looked it up and it may come from the English practice of hanging people by standing them on a bucket and then - you know the rest.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:05 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
It's a bit of a quandary for some of us. My former hobbies either don't exist here, or I can't physically do them anymore, anyway. I'm bored, while figuring out this new life of retirement.

I'm looking at simpler things, like someone else said. I brought some Ping-Pong balls and paddles here, and a few Frisbees so looking forward to that, if I can figure out to set up a table in a condo setting. Maybe I can get our wood-working guy here to build a light-weight, portable version.

You can do anything on the beach here (even steal sand by the dump-truck! ) so also thinking of hauling a small land-sailer here. Used to do that sport.

Used to scuba too, but now find more enjoyment in just snorkeling, if I can find a good place.

I wouldn't mind teaching some English, if I found the venue. And of course, learning Spanish is a good mental challenge, plus just living in another culture, as dothetwist said.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:19 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

There are all the letters my mother and father exchanged for the four years that he was serving in WWII. I've never opened a one. Perhaps I'll do that some day. I also saved every card and letter my parents sent to my children.
You might actually be performing a historical service by digitizing these - especially not just as images but as readable and searchable documents!

Old 05-05-2017, 01:27 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Maybe because once it's empty you "kick it." Heh.

That made me so curious that I looked it up and it may come from the English practice of hanging people by standing them on a bucket and then - you know the rest.
How interesting, so that's where kick the bucket came from. Thanks for posting that.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
You might actually be performing a historical service by digitizing these - especially not just as images but as readable and searchable documents!
Will you come here and teach me how to do that? Guess I'd have to take one of those community education classes.

Never stopped to think about their value to the public as a whole but I believe you're right. Not sure Mom and Dad would appreciate it, though.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:02 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
Quote:
I guess I think of a bucket list as a very specific list of things you want to do like a trip to the Canary Islands; going parachuting; going to a World Series ballgame; meeting the Dali Lama; spending New Year's in Paris on the Eiffel Tower.

Not so much...golfing...learning how to swim....sleeping in and having breakfast in bed every morning...ya know? ....but that's just me.
Mind if I borrow your list items? Awesome!

Old 05-05-2017, 03:04 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
One of your items; music. For me it is happening. Joined a jazz combo at the local college. Doing jams. Flute and sax.
Fantastic! If you have a website for your band you could post a link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement