Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 12:59 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Do you really deny that organized crime owns newspapers, TV and a big hunk of congress?The end of prohibition almost ruined them, and they set up to make sure it could never happen again.Control of public opinion is critical to maintaining power. It results in people like you refusing to admit to reality.
Your use of the word reality to describe your view of the world is sublimely ironic. But then again, I've never known a prepper to have a grounded sense of reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 03:43 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

At the end when I had hospice and he passed, hospice asked if I wanted them to destroy the pain meds. I said yes, they destroyed them all with a document of what was destroyed and how much. They didn't just destroy what they prescribed but destroyed it all including the scripts from the VA.
I seriously doubt those meds got destroyed. They were either consumed by whoever they were handed to for destruction or sold on the street.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:13 PM

252 posts, read 234,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I seriously doubt those meds got destroyed. They were either consumed by whoever they were handed to for destruction or sold on the street.

I know someone (a nurse) who lost her nursing license for pocketing and consuming pain meds she was suppose to give to patients in a hospital. I couldn't help wondering how someone could pocket pain relief for someone recovering from an operation or dying of cancer. It makes me wonder if it is a problem among members of the medical profession.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:36 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Exactly!!! My husband did not have to submit to urine tests as he had stage 4 cancer. Not once did VA hospital give me an issue on his oxy.

At the end when I had hospice and he passed, hospice asked if I wanted them to destroy the pain meds. I said yes, they destroyed them all with a document of what was destroyed and how much. They didn't just destroy what they prescribed but destroyed it all including the scripts from the VA.

Years ago Florida was a huge "pill mill" state with those pain managements clinics all over the place.
I recall the booming pill mill industry in FL, and the opportunities it gave for out of state "customers" and dealers to bring narcotics back to their own states to sell there, and creating a slew of new users in states that had stricter laws about narcotics prescriptions. It's my understanding that pressure from those other states more or less forced FL to regulate the prescription narcotic drug industry.

New drug problem: 'prescription tourists' - US news - Crime & courts | NBC News

Old 05-09-2017, 06:34 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
I know someone (a nurse) who lost her nursing license for pocketing and consuming pain meds she was suppose to give to patients in a hospital. I couldn't help wondering how someone could pocket pain relief for someone recovering from an operation or dying of cancer. It makes me wonder if it is a problem among members of the medical profession.
It certainly can be. Narcotics are strictly monitored in a healthcare setting (hospital, clinic, etc.) they're kept under lock and key with access to them only by personnel who give out the medications , and those in charge, each medication is accounted for, by counts (by two or more people), at the end of each shift, what's there is documented and signed by those who counted the meds. (At least this is how it used to be done, I would think there is a more automated way to keep track of it these days).

But the thing is, all the narcotic medication must be accounted for, if any goes missing someone is held accountable. That precludes stealing from the drug stash, and it's why health care professionals will steal the medication doses intended for patients, instead of giving the medication to the patient, and they will document that the patient has been given the drugs.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:46 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
It's a HUGE problem among the nursing staff. A large percentage of RN's are secretly hooked on painkillers because of the tremendous stress they work under for long LONG hours. Taking pain meds from patients to get high is the only way they keep their sanity.

I was in the hospital once after an operation. I asked for pain medication to kill the pain the first night and I got it (you know you get it, believe me! ) but the 2nd night when I asked for it she gave me a shot but I'm certain it was just saline. I never felt a thing and the pain continued. Meanwhile I couldn't raise her on my buzzer. She was probably off in a corner enjoying her buzz.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:06 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Your use of the word reality to describe your view of the world is sublimely ironic. But then again, I've never known a prepper to have a grounded sense of reality.
So the answer is, yes, you deny that organized crime and drug cartels actively promote the War On Drugs.

You evidently missed the evening news. Let me catch you up. When the Surgeon General of the United States, Jocelyn Elder, proposed that we regulate recreational drug sales though pharmacies, dozens of "privately funded anti-drug organizations" hopped up to denounce her. Shortly after, her son was arrested for cocaine possession. She was out of there so fast I bet her head is still spinning. Billions of dollars a year in profits depend on maintaining the unregulated free market in recreational drugs that they have worked so hard to establish.

Where do you think the truckloads of illicit pharmaceuticals come from? They go right out the gate of the factory and into the free market distribution channels. Paying the legislators to crank down the screws and the bookkeepers to look the other way is just overhead.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:07 AM

28 posts, read 31,831 times
... Can someone give me advise on a pain med? the island I live on in the carribean, does not have opium based pain meds at pharmacys.... Doctors here dont believe much in pain relief for patients....anyway the one drug the government allows is tramadol. you can buy anywhere without any script, all you want.... how safe is it... thanks in advance....

Old 05-10-2017, 06:02 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
They are destroyed in the nursing home all the time. It's actually a waste and makes me mad, but they are held accountable and these things are watched. There is no way someone could just take them and no one would know they were not destroyed.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:08 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havana day dreaming View Post
... Can someone give me advise on a pain med? the island I live on in the carribean, does not have opium based pain meds at pharmacys.... Doctors here dont believe much in pain relief for patients....anyway the one drug the government allows is tramadol. you can buy anywhere without any script, all you want.... how safe is it... thanks in advance....
I never had any problem with Tramadol (or Ultram). I used to have it prescribed for herniated discs I had in my neck (actually I still have them lol, they are just not symptomatic at the moment). One time I took it right before bed and got crazy itchy to the point I couldn't sleep, but after that I just avoided them right before bed.

They are not as strong as Opiods and don't produce any high or drowsy feeling which is why they are easier to get dispensed.

I tried them first for my sciatica because they worked so well with my neck, but they didn't even touch the pain in the slightest because it was too severe (and was nerve pain versus muscular).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement