Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 06:11 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It's a HUGE problem among the nursing staff. A large percentage of RN's are secretly hooked on painkillers because of the tremendous stress they work under for long LONG hours. Taking pain meds from patients to get high is the only way they keep their sanity.

I was in the hospital once after an operation. I asked for pain medication to kill the pain the first night and I got it (you know you get it, believe me! ) but the 2nd night when I asked for it she gave me a shot but I'm certain it was just saline. I never felt a thing and the pain continued. Meanwhile I couldn't raise her on my buzzer. She was probably off in a corner enjoying her buzz.
I agree this is a problem, but I dispute that it's a "large percentage of RN's". I think it's a very small percentage, most RNs are not addicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 09:22 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree this is a problem, but I dispute that it's a "large percentage of RN's". I think it's a very small percentage, most RNs are not addicts.
Just my luck to get the one RN in the hospital who was addicted!

Old 05-10-2017, 09:48 AM

I found an excellent article that perfectly lays out the problems addicts cause for legitimate pain sufferers:

Quote:
Nobody wants to take pills and sit around with no energy in a cloud all the time.. Oops I almost forgot some idiots do. They are called addicts. They like to abuse pain medications. Why I have no clue.

It is because of those idiots that every single patient in a PM clinic has to put up with the belief that we are all addicts and prove we are not before we can be treated. Every freaking time we go in. There is no innocent until proven guilty here. Nope not one bit.
Time to Change Pain Management Practices: The Need to Effectively Treat Chronic Pain Humanely

Here's another great article that lays out how each party blames the other two but all three are complicit. The FDA/DEA blame the doctors and pharmacies; the doctors blame the pharmacies and FDA/DEA; and the pharmacies blame the FDA/DEA and the doctors. Brilliant!

http://nationalpainreport.com/dea-do...s-8822886.html

Old 05-10-2017, 09:58 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
This is ridiculous. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.dbf9e0365264

There is an average of six opioid overdose deaths in Maryland every day. And yet, Maryland, Virginia and D.C. do not share opioid prescriber data. Meanwhile, Virginia strictly regulates opioid prescriptions while Maryland and D.C. do not.

Weighing the pros and cons, I'm leaning towards Maryland adopting Virginia's regulation. If a few tweaks are needed, fine. I'm with our Governor on this one.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post

There is an average of six opioid overdose deaths in Maryland every day. And yet, Maryland, Virginia and D.C. do not share opioid prescriber data. Meanwhile, Virginia strictly regulates opioid prescriptions while Maryland and D.C. do not.

Weighing the pros and cons, I'm leaning towards Maryland adopting Virginia's regulation. If a few tweaks are needed, fine. I'm with our Governor on this one.
lenora, I'm confused (I usually am ) All 50 states are hooked into the PDMA which monitors all scheduled drug prescribing going on in their respective states, so I don't know what you mean by Maryland and DC not strictly regulating opioid prescriptions. If that were the case wouldn't those who desperately need opioid meds to control their pain, and who had the financial means to move, simply move there to be able to get their meds?

Old 05-10-2017, 10:30 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I found an excellent article that perfectly lays out the problems addicts cause for legitimate pain sufferers:

Time to Change Pain Management Practices: The Need to Effectively Treat Chronic Pain Humanely

Here's another great article that lays out how each party blames the other two but all three are complicit. The FDA/DEA blame the doctors and pharmacies; the doctors blame the pharmacies and FDA/DEA; and the pharmacies blame the FDA/DEA and the doctors. Brilliant!

DEA: Doctors and Pharmacies Responsible for Pain Med Denials – National Pain Report
I can't agree with the "addicts are idiots" part. Life is not simplistic, nor are people.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:58 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,310,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
More head in the sand retreat from reality. Do you realize you are conducting an attack on US Military Intelligence, the State Department and the CIA?

https://2001-2009.state.gov/p/inl/rl...p_oct/5210.htm
Your link is irrelevant. We all know that the Taliban gets money from opium sales.

The claim I'm objecting to is that the FDA is regulating opiates in order to finance the war in Afghanistan.
The FDA is on the side is on the side of the USA.
My response is that anti opiate laws long predate the USA's involvement in Afghanistan.
There is no relationship between the FDA's regulation of opiates and the Afghan war.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:15 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post

Sweet. I had a friend who killed himself with pills. It is surely neater than a bullet to the brain, and by all accounts an easy way to go. It's also easy to excuse it as "accidental," so it makes things easier for the family.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Your link is irrelevant. We all know that the Taliban gets money from opium sales.

The claim I'm objecting to is that the FDA is regulating opiates in order to finance the war in Afghanistan.
The FDA is on the side is on the side of the USA.
My response is that anti opiate laws long predate the USA's involvement in Afghanistan.
There is no relationship between the FDA's regulation of opiates and the Afghan war.
Just remember that, when they cut you off on your oxycodone, heroin works just as well and is cheaper.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havana day dreaming View Post
... Can someone give me advise on a pain med? the island I live on in the carribean, does not have opium based pain meds at pharmacys.... Doctors here dont believe much in pain relief for patients....anyway the one drug the government allows is tramadol. you can buy anywhere without any script, all you want.... how safe is it... thanks in advance....

For safety, avoid alcohol and talk to your doctor before using tramadol with antidepressants. In combination with SSRIs, it can cause seizures.

The metabolites are the actual pain killers. Like codeine, about 6% of the population can't metabolize it and get little pain relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement