Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 05:10 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,621 times

Advertisements

In our quest to move seeking clean air, some of the towns we are considering are within an hours drive of Reno. I have three questions

If you or a friend worked for Amazons Fulfillment Center in Nevada (Ferndale now in Reno)

Were you hired by Amazon or Integrity Staffing Solutions?

Were you given any overtime and how long were the shifts?

Thanks so much for any info..

Old 04-26-2017, 06:24 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I hope you posted in the Nevada forum,too.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:41 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
The retirees working at the Reno FC would most likely be Workampers: People who RV full-time and work the holiday season at Amazon. I don't know that we have any workampers amongst our readership but you can never tell.

General working conditions at the FCs are pretty uniform across the nation. Shifts are generally 10 hours. You are on your feet for all of that except breaks. Overtime is likely during the holiday season. Entry-level people are hired by ISS but if you're diligent you may get an offer from Amazon to go full-time. There are nice benefits with that.

FC workers tend to start at $10-$14/hour. All the FCs have air conditioning but there are a lot of stairs involved. The FC I toured in Phoenix had three levels. If you're working in the pick mods, you'll likely put 11 miles per day on your feet.

All FC associates have to go through metal detectors when leaving the facility. Coming in, there are lockers for your personal belongings since you're not allowed to take anything in with you that Amazon sells. That includes phones and cameras.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:39 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The retirees working at the Reno FC would most likely be Workampers: People who RV full-time and work the holiday season at Amazon. I don't know that we have any workampers amongst our readership but you can never tell.

General working conditions at the FCs are pretty uniform across the nation. Shifts are generally 10 hours. You are on your feet for all of that except breaks. Overtime is likely during the holiday season. Entry-level people are hired by ISS but if you're diligent you may get an offer from Amazon to go full-time. There are nice benefits with that.

FC workers tend to start at $10-$14/hour. All the FCs have air conditioning but there are a lot of stairs involved. The FC I toured in Phoenix had three levels. If you're working in the pick mods, you'll likely put 11 miles per day on your feet.

All FC associates have to go through metal detectors when leaving the facility. Coming in, there are lockers for your personal belongings since you're not allowed to take anything in with you that Amazon sells. That includes phones and cameras.
Yes I'm not sure they still do the workamper program since relocating. Amazon paid for a local campground back then

Their temp agency is hiring right now but pays .50 cents less per hr. Must have totally open availablility which differs from the set hrs provided when directly hired.

My interest is in the Holiday season only. Amazon direct hires get $12.75 per hr. And whether there is as much overtime as their was...is a mystery. New Nevada labor laws mean paying overtime over 40 hrs per wk but not necessarily per day. So that cuts into it too
There is alot of old info about much of this online but things have changed alot recently

Last edited by NancyDrew1; 04-26-2017 at 01:23 PM..

Old 04-28-2017, 08:49 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,264 times
A friend and his wife worked there a couple years ago for some extra money. They are full time RV'ers. They said it was long hours and hard work and would not do it again. YMMV

Old 04-30-2017, 11:23 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
In our quest to move seeking clean air, some of the towns we are considering are within an hours drive of Reno. I have three questions
If you or a friend worked for Amazons Fulfillment Center in Nevada (Ferndale now in Reno)
Were you hired by Amazon or Integrity Staffing Solutions?
Were you given any overtime and how long were the shifts?
Thanks so much for any info..
My son worked at the Amazon fulfillment center when it was in Fernley to put himself through college. Shifts are 10 hours, if you are a picker you walk on the average of 12 miles a shift. He as a direct hire, after he was hired almost all other line employees were hired through Integrity. I don't recall him working overtime but if you walk for 12 miles a shift it is almost impossible to work another consecutive shift. Amazon has some very demanding rules and has a very strict point formula, you lose points for being late etc and even if you have an excusable late arrival you are gone. It's hard work with little reward. Try some of the other warehouses in the area if that is really what you are looking for, but before you move remember that the Reno job market is tight - it's one of those places you don't want to move to unless you get a job first.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:35 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,468 times
Somehow, I think this work would be a little too fasted paced for many retirees.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:01 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
The "Reno" Amazon fullfillment center is actually in Stead - which while TECHNICALLY part of Reno is actually several miles NW of Reno.

It may be "air conditioned" but Stead gets perhaps not frequent but recurring power outages that may last from 20 mins to several hours - usually on the "several hours" end of things.

That means no AC during power outages - and it gets quite hot here in the daytime even in the spring. Though now that I think of it, no power also means no lights - so probably you'd have to go home and wait to be recalled when the power goes out. I guess I don't know how they handle that but I'm sure it won't be to your advantage.

I keep trying to find alternatives to Amazon but every time I find one, Amazon buys them. I don't like dealing with such a punitive and uncaring employer. Plus even if you are a customer Amazon has some pretty draconian attitudes to your account - such as shutting you out from ALL your digital content for making "too many returns" (which is never defined anywhere), among other things. And, there is no appeal process when they do such things.

Its one thing not to sell to someone any more - but shutting you out from your records and digital content is the same as stealing from you. They make me very very nervous even as a customer. There is no way I'd ever consider working for them, especially after I found out about workers passing out in 100+ degree warehouses. If they are providing AC now in those facilities I am quite sure they're not cooling it down to a truly comfortable level. I suppose the people they hire and treat like serfs would at least not have to suffer through 100F and above temps, but when you're running around like that even 80F or 90F would still be pretty bad.

The switch to "temp" agencies to do their hiring is doubtless an effort to not have to pay benefits. Direct hires who are worked 10 hour shifts would easily fall into full-time category and have to be paid overtime and other benefits - but "temp" workers don't have to be paid in that way. WalMart does this to cheat employees out of benefits as well. I know because I was in such a position - for a university, yet. After you work 1000 hours they fire you because regulations say once you have worked 1000 hours you are no longer "temp". So they fire you at 1000 hours and then hire someone else and fire them at 1000 hours, ad infinitum. The position is permanent, but the people are temporary.

I wouldn't do it voluntarily, and I COULDN'T do it now that I am aged and decrepit.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:09 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
I know this is C-D but that's a whole lot of statements that have no facts to back them up. You have no facts because almost everything you alleged is factually wrong.

To use a favorite phrase of yours, "I'm quite sure" you're totally impartial, right?

You're "quite sure" the warehouses aren't air-conditioned adequately? How would you know? You've never been in one. I have. In Phoenix. IN SUMMER.

Amazon kicks out abusive customers who order and return, order and return, order and return * 50 because there are always a few bad apples who like to "rent" stuff, then send it back. As an Amazon Marketplace merchant who has to pay fees for every item returned, I'm happy they get rid of the parasites. A customer has to be flagrantly fraudulent to be locked out of Amazon. I had a customer who returned 80 items and kept 2. She was allowed to keep buying.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:34 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
The "Reno" Amazon fullfillment center is actually in Stead - which while TECHNICALLY part of Reno is actually several miles NW of Reno.

It may be "air conditioned" but Stead gets perhaps not frequent but recurring power outages that may last from 20 mins to several hours - usually on the "several hours" end of things.

That means no AC during power outages - and it gets quite hot here in the daytime even in the spring. Though now that I think of it, no power also means no lights - so probably you'd have to go home and wait to be recalled when the power goes out. I guess I don't know how they handle that but I'm sure it won't be to your advantage.

I keep trying to find alternatives to Amazon but every time I find one, Amazon buys them. I don't like dealing with such a punitive and uncaring employer. Plus even if you are a customer Amazon has some pretty draconian attitudes to your account - such as shutting you out from ALL your digital content for making "too many returns" (which is never defined anywhere), among other things. And, there is no appeal process when they do such things.

Its one thing not to sell to someone any more - but shutting you out from your records and digital content is the same as stealing from you. They make me very very nervous even as a customer. There is no way I'd ever consider working for them, especially after I found out about workers passing out in 100+ degree warehouses. If they are providing AC now in those facilities I am quite sure they're not cooling it down to a truly comfortable level. I suppose the people they hire and treat like serfs would at least not have to suffer through 100F and above temps, but when you're running around like that even 80F or 90F would still be pretty bad.

The switch to "temp" agencies to do their hiring is doubtless an effort to not have to pay benefits. Direct hires who are worked 10 hour shifts would easily fall into full-time category and have to be paid overtime and other benefits - but "temp" workers don't have to be paid in that way. WalMart does this to cheat employees out of benefits as well. I know because I was in such a position - for a university, yet. After you work 1000 hours they fire you because regulations say once you have worked 1000 hours you are no longer "temp". So they fire you at 1000 hours and then hire someone else and fire them at 1000 hours, ad infinitum. The position is permanent, but the people are temporary.

I wouldn't do it voluntarily, and I COULDN'T do it now that I am aged and decrepit.
Amazon, at least when it was in Fernley, had a reputation for placing workers over 50 in very difficult jobs so as to get them to quit, I guess the older you are the more of a liability you are. It's hard work and unless you really need a job, go elsewhere. If you want a good employer- try Costco or Winco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement