Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:46 AM

348 posts, read 255,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im retired now View Post
I had every expectation of retiring in my late 60s or as late as 70. I was always reading the articles by the experts telling us that the best approach is to keep working until 70 and then start collecting Social Security. That way more money goes into your bank and investment accounts and you get the maximum Social Security. Seemed so logical but life and people's bias got in the way.

Once I got to 62, I could do nothing right. Every action real or imaged I did at work was second guessed and spun to the negative. I had a long record of success at work and always got great performance appraisals.

People started calling me old man and duffer. They kept asking me when I was going to retire. I was marginalized and given less and less to do. All the others workers in the office around my age were falling like flies and once they left none of them could get another job. Finally, I was fired for a poor fit. (After fitting in for over ten years at the company.)

I can't decide if I should sue for age discrimination, or call it a day and officially retire. For all practical purposes I am retired now. I expect that my story is quite common today.
Sorry to hear this happened to you. It is sad the way older employees are treated today.

However, this plays out everyday with companies and in corporate america. Our CEO stood in front of a group of employees and stated the average age was 52 and then went on a tangent about how people have trouble with change. (insinuating, because you are old) Funny thing is in a few years he will be 52. Do as I say not as I do.....

You can sue but winning is hard unless you have clear documents stating age is the reason for your firing or bad reviews. Or if co workers will stand up and testify for you.

If it is a public company you can always contact the EEOC and file a complaint. If they get many complaints they might start an investigation into the company's firing policies.

Did you get severance or unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 10:01 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im retired now View Post
I had every expectation of retiring in my late 60s or as late as 70. I was always reading the articles by the experts telling us that the best approach is to keep working until 70 and then start collecting Social Security. That way more money goes into your bank and investment accounts and you get the maximum Social Security. Seemed so logical but life and people's bias got in the way.

Once I got to 62, I could do nothing right. Every action real or imaged I did at work was second guessed and spun to the negative. I had a long record of success at work and always got great performance appraisals.

People started calling me old man and duffer. They kept asking me when I was going to retire. I was marginalized and given less and less to do. All the others workers in the office around my age were falling like flies and once they left none of them could get another job. Finally, I was fired for a poor fit. (After fitting in for over ten years at the company.)

I can't decide if I should sue for age discrimination, or call it a day and officially retire. For all practical purposes I am retired now. I expect that my story is quite common today.

I'm sorry you had that experience. They would not dare do that here - I work in government. Every year at our open enrollment we have harassment training - how to spot it and how to report it. Because there's been a prior history of problems that have not gone the way of the PTB - they are VERY sensitive to it.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:16 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Years ago my wife was laid off from a large credit union, the official paperwork included a list of all those who were laid off, not by name but age. Companies today spend a fair amount of time doing CYA activities at the HR level, and one is the act of spreading the age of dismissals across the employment spectrum. This usually happens in a manpower RIF which affects more than a few people. The laying off of one or two might not require that HR decision to show a mix of age. Most states have at will employment, so, making a case for your age being the cause of your dismissal may be more than a bit difficult.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:37 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,977 times
I think unless you're in the highest ranks of your job (think executive/board level) or in a career you truly love, most people end up retiring earlier. Whether it be they have the money and can finally stop the job they hate, or they are forced out by other reasons such as lack of work, layoffs, age discrimination, etc.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:49 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
How do people with private sector jobs that don't offer health insurance to retirees retire before they are 65 and eligible for Medicare?

Old 05-08-2017, 12:24 PM

498 posts, read 571,763 times
Mitsguy - Happened to us. Husband forced to retire at 62. We paid from private savings for health insurance until Medicare kicked in. That is what "savings" is for.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:28 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
Mitsguy - Happened to us. Husband forced to retire at 62. We paid from private savings for health insurance until Medicare kicked in. That is what "savings" is for.
For most people that age, the cost is basically impossible, especially if you have even a minor medical problem.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:34 PM

106,656 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i am to young for medicare and diabetic . i pay the same thing on my own as i did on cobra . 501 per month , 4k deductible .

Old 05-08-2017, 01:46 PM

810 posts, read 1,181,713 times
How can we afford it? DH was laid off just before 61st birthday. You use the rainy day savings you have. No other choice. Very hard,if not impossible to get hired FT with benefits at that age. Life throws you curves. Always be prepared.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:15 PM

348 posts, read 255,982 times
This same old age lay off situation is happening all the time when you are close or after 60 years old. Companies no longer want older employees for various reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement