Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 02:11 PM

761 posts, read 604,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazuemague View Post
I was a military brat, so I've been a lot of places, but after 25 years in the San Francisco Bay Area I'm seriously thinking of retirement in Canada, in the Ottawa area. That's where I went to high school, and I have family and friends there. As for home, the only place that has ever felt like home is where my cats are.

That sounds like a good fit after being away for so long

and will bring you full circle.

Go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 02:18 PM

761 posts, read 604,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
One does not need to be "very elderly" to have zero or no remaining family. I was 61 when both of my parents died and 65 when my brother died.

And plenty of us do not live in our home town where we grew up or where we attended high school or where we lived after attending university.

And plenty of us have very very few relatives - and/or most of them are distant, not living anywhere nearby.

And many older people find themselves without many connections - not just when they have "recently moved to an area". It's a product of today's society.
Oh Matisse.. you Zen master you.

So true, so sadly true. Its like we are the only ones hearing the music.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:26 PM

678 posts, read 437,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
I live in a different state from where I grew up.

Life doesn't feel homey, rather it feels like I am slowly vanishing.
Hi there,
Well, what are your passions? iow the kinds of activities you can not help but continue enjoying...
do Understand your passions go with you, wherever you may roam, so you're always 'home' &
then
just connect with others also passionate be it Gardening, or Sports, or a Book-club, or whatever... God wants you to have fun...

Old 05-11-2017, 03:29 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I've been in the same spot for about forty years but I know what you are saying I think. I am slowly becoming invisible.

That is not always a bad thing. Young people would be surprised at how much amusement you can have when people aren't noticing you.
Totally OT .... I thought I'd pay homage to your userID:

Old 05-11-2017, 03:46 PM

678 posts, read 437,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If you do not have an adventurous spirit and new adventures and new opportunities are not appealing,
maybe move back to your "roots". Don't be surprised it that turns out different than you expect also.

Most of us find we cannot live in the past even if we might want to.
Actually I treasure... significant childhood experiences, that helped me be who I am today. For example
1. my love of plants to grow, & look at, & eat
2. my love of God/Jesus Christ, & our personal relationship
3. my love of sports (then it was gymnastics, snow-skiing, & sprinting). Now my passion: Iceskating
4. my love of learning, & experimenting, & asking ever more questions
Additionally,
as another "adventurous spirit, I do seek out new adventures and new opportunities".

Old 05-11-2017, 03:56 PM

226 posts, read 297,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
It is the lack of people with whom to interact with that causes that feeling of 'disappearing'. It can come from moving away from where you know people, from no longer having work colleagues, from no longer meeting people at church or a club, and so forth. If we do not interact on a more than superficial basis, we may as well disappear, and it will feel like it. Everyone is in their own little world it seems.
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I've been in the same spot for about forty years but I know what you are saying I think. I am slowly becoming invisible.
That is not always a bad thing. Young people would be surprised at how much amusement you can have when people aren't noticing you.
40 years living in the same place. Me too. That's rare these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I absolutely know I am vanishing ! I was always 5'5" all my life. Today I am 5'1". I guess that's called vanishing (or shrinking). LOL
LOL Me too. Just wish I was vanishing horizontally instead of vertically.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:08 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
I have a serious question to throw out if you want to volley.

For those of you who have moved very far from your roots..

does the distance feel greater than the miles?

I live in a different state from where I grew up.

Life doesn't feel homey, rather it feels like I am slowly vanishing.
I wish I could relate to how you feel. I left home at 17 and went 2000 miles away from the Midwest to California. Never, ever regretted it. That was over 40 years ago.

I went back to live with my mom for a couple of months in 2012 and discovered the further away from her I was, the happier we both were. She's the only one of the family I talk to now. My brothers have more or less disowned me and I don't really know any of the other relatives.

Besides leaving home at 17, two other times I've had to pick up and move to a totally strange place where I didn't know anyone. When I retire, I plan to travel around the country and see if I can find any other place I might want to settle in permanently besides where I'm currently at. I might be settling in a strange place once again, but when you settle into a new place, you bring yourself and your personality. Then you make new friends and move on with your life.

OP, it sounds more like you're looking for an earlier time, not an earlier place. Childhood is gone and it's not coming back. So stop looking backwards and look ahead. You have to make your own "homey" feel now.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:18 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
For some people, not having an automatic mixing with people every day which work provided, can make one feel as if they are disappearing or somewhat invisible or lacking identity or lost or lonely or isolated.

For some or many, it was the automatic daily mixing with people at work which provided a sense of place or of purpose - all with no effort to find people to mix with.

I do agree that one needs to create one's own sense of home.

Last edited by matisse12; 05-11-2017 at 05:31 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 05:28 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I disappeared from my childhood hometown about 1980. I didn't disappear slowly, I bagged it for oil field work in Texas, then for nuclear work in Idaho, Colorado, Iowa, and eventually here in Washington State. Never looked back.

Never had much in common with the dimwits I went to high school with anyway. They have disappeared from my "screen" too. I don't miss them.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:36 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
I feel more at home where I live now that I did where I grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement