Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 04:14 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

stop the presses ....... just learned something new!

we just got the verification letter for the spousal amount for my wife . it was more than the charts and calculator showed us it would be .

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/quickcalc/earlyretire.html

it seems it is calculated very differently than the charts and calculator on the ss site if she filed at 62 for her benefit but could not get spousal because i did not file yet . so now that i filed and she is over fra it works very differently .

because she took an early benefit at 62 , but could not get spousal until 67 because i just filed at 65 (she is older) it turns out the calculation is different .

the way it is calculated if she did not get an early spousal benefit too along with hers ,is the following .

she kept her early benefit , but because she was at least fra when spousal kicked in , they take 1/2 my full (even though i filed a year before my fra ) and subtract her full and that difference with no reduction is added to her own early benefit .

had she gotten spousal because i filed before her fra she would have had a reduction on the spousal but because she was fra there was no reduction on the spousal portion too. the only reduction she gets is she keeps her early benefit and the spousal is an adder .

i searched the web to find a similar situation ,where the wife files at 62 but does not actually get spousal because the husband delays until the wife is at least fra and could find nothing .

but then i stumbled upon a kiplinger's article with the same situation .

Maximize the Social Security Spousal Benefit

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-24-2017 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 04:21 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Thank you for the link and the post.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:35 AM

there really is no chart , calculator or explanation on the ss spousal benefit page for this .

it was a pleasant surprise to see in the letter that she is getting 313 more a month added to her early benefit instead of the 150 or so we came up with using the chart and calculator on the site .

so that throws another decision in to the mix for those with similar situations since a spouse can take their own benefit at 62 . be deemed filing for spousal ,yet because the other spouse has not filed yet the spousal benefit keeps getting larger as the reduction on the spousal side shrinks , all the while they are collecting an early benefit check ..

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-24-2017 at 04:57 AM..

Old 09-26-2017, 09:43 AM

252 posts, read 234,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
stop the presses ....... just learned something new!

she kept her early benefit , but because she was at least fra when spousal kicked in , they take 1/2 my full (even though i filed a year before my fra ) and subtract her full and that difference with no reduction is added to her own early benefit .

When determining this did they use the value of the FRA on the year the individual was first eligible or were the values adjust to the year of the application? (For example, my husband's FRA was in 2012 whereas mine was in 2014. So my FRA numbers could include a couple more COLA adjustments than his.)

Old 09-26-2017, 10:50 AM

all is current fra
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement