Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 07:51 PM

558 posts, read 338,162 times

Advertisements

14 years left on my 15-year mortgage at 3.125% interest. Have AT&T and other stocks that pay 5%, so dividends after-tax net 4%. Tax break is now minimal. The numbers work but I am wondering if anyone found any intangible psychological benefit of just paying it off, take a small hit just to get it off the Excel budget. Forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 07:58 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Yep.
Big psychological benefit. Paid it off in '07 - about 10 years early. You should have seen us smile during the real estate and stock market meltdown. Our financial position is now an impregnable fortress.

Which is good, because we are retired.

If we had bought into the notion that paying off a mortgage is foolish because you can make more money in the market I may not have been able to retire on time.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:40 PM

558 posts, read 338,162 times
AT&T pays me 5%. Feds and state take 1%. I give Chase 3.125%, leaving me with less than $1K in “profit”. We easily spend that much each year buying bad restaurant food. Hey, honey, paying off the mortgage early, so let’s wipe the dust off your cook book collection and get to work.

Disclosure: I do not work for AT&T or anyone else. Love the iPhone they sold me for $300. The Weather Channel app is a life saver. I happily pay the $100 a month. They are not going bankrupt tomorrow.

I am not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:11 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Don't owe a cent to anybody. Does that ever feel like small slice of heaven after most of a lifetime of paying on loans and the house!

I highly recommend it.

What kicked me into high gear was back just before it went south in 2007. I saw the warning signs and decided it was time to get debt-free.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:29 AM

908 posts, read 961,081 times
i am planning to pay off my mortgage very soon. very excited about being mortgage free!

Old 05-15-2017, 03:00 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
14 years left on my 15-year mortgage at 3.125% interest. Have AT&T and other stocks that pay 5%, so dividends after-tax net 4%. Tax break is now minimal. The numbers work but I am wondering if anyone found any intangible psychological benefit of just paying it off, take a small hit just to get it off the Excel budget. Forever.
just because the dividend is 5% does not mean your return is 5% . there is a big difference .

i will gladly pay you 6% but i keep your invested dollars .

in order to see if you are a head you need to look at the total return .

if someone bought at&t this year for the dividend to pay a mortgage so far this year they are on track for a 5% dividend , but so far lost 8% of their invested value including the dividends paid and had to pay interest on the mortgage . so far that would have been an awful outcome .

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-15-2017 at 03:37 AM..

Old 05-15-2017, 04:16 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,215 times
Pay off the mortgage! One less thing to obsess over. You can run infinite financial scenario's as to what is your best course to take but they are all guesses on the future. Paying off the mortgage is certain and simplifies your financial life.
Some people like to run numbers and look at the thousand different variables. I prefer simplicity as I get close to retirement. No debt, steady income with room for growth, and cover your medical needs. Then just go have fun! As always, YMMV

CHEERS,

Old 05-15-2017, 04:34 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I will have a mortgage in retirement, in fact, I will be starting a 30-year mortgage at age 65. It will be about 1/5 of my income stream, none of which is withdrawal from a retirement account. It's Soc. Sec., and a cash balance pension annuity from my job.
I am planning to live pretty low on the food chain- insurances, charitable giving, keeping a decent car on the road, and adopting a few dogs. I have decided it is worth more to me to retire when I will than to wait and have more money for travel, etc. I want to make a home in a new place, a place that would have been my only travels anyway. I don't really have the taste for travel and will have enough backup money from the sale of my current house if some trip demands it. I also have no interest in leaving an estate of any size.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:38 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i always believed in setting and meeting goals .

if one of my goals was to have a paid off house in retirement than i would pay off the house .

what i wouldn't do is put the carrot on the stick and put the money i wanted for that goal back in to the risk pool chasing better returns .

but if you are a biggest bang for the buck kind of person and are not goal oriented then you may want to take advantage of cheap money and try to get a better return .

no one can say what is best for you .

we can only say what is best for us .

Old 05-15-2017, 04:39 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
I concur. The mortgage has to go. As listener says finances can really find new life. So far since paying off our mortgage last October we have increased our net worth by $50k. First because we had realized actual net loss in sale of commercial building and used the sale of such to pay off our mortgage. With the mortgage paid off we have socked away that mortgage payment in a brokerage account that has been steadily growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement