Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 05:05 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
(no benefit checks if you're out of town on vacation)
....and how will they know where you are?
OMG. Most filings are done online. You could be in Aruba for a month, do your online searches. And submit your weekly claim. You really think they'd know different? Besides, you ARE still legitimately applying for jobs.

Most online applications you just get a "thanks for applying" -- IF you get that. If it's two weeks before they call you, and two weeks before you can set up an interview. There's your four weeks time right there.

Worrying about being out of town for a few weeks is not even an issue. (But obviously do and submit the required weekly search submissions.)

IF you get called for an interview that just. HAS. to. take. place. within a week, you can always come back for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 05:51 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
....and how will they know where you are?
OMG. Most filings are done online. You could be in Aruba for a month, do your online searches. And submit your weekly claim. You really think they'd know different? Besides, you ARE still legitimately applying for jobs.
Yes, it's very easy to tell where you are filing from through your IP address. I have not done the IP tracing of posts/emails for a while but there was a very simple utility to do so.

I know a person who was vacationing in Europe and signed in for her weekly unemployment benefit. Her claim for that week was denied.

Of course, there is a way to mask your IP address and to pretend that you are logging in from a certain location but this is beyond the capability of many people.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:55 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
google is your friend -use it . employees do not pay anything in to unemployment insurance .

I reposted that fact, but I doubt misinformed posters will bother reading it.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I agree. You were entitled to those unemployment benefits. You paid into the system for many many years and ended up using some of what you paid into it. Good for you.
He never paid into the system.

Just because you post it on the internet does not make it true !

Old 05-19-2017, 05:57 PM

671 posts, read 1,119,023 times
THis OP changes names more often then most people change socks.
Nothing wrong with the questions-just fake stories for our discussion pleasure.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Of course you are entitled to unemployment, you paid into it, all your working life. IMO, it would be stupid not to collect it, if eligible. Enjoy your retirement.

........."you paid into it"....

No.

He did NOT ......."pay into it"

Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 PM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
it clearly says all over the internet employees do not pay in to the fund , only employers .

Old 05-19-2017, 06:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
The OP is "no longer a member" and presumably enjoying his retirement under a bridge somewhere.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:10 PM

4,865 posts, read 2,674,972 times
I can't believe I read all 5 pages of this..lol..I'm going over to the Food section..

Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 PM

1,158 posts, read 961,459 times
I do not think you should feel bad or guilty. It does not sound like they treated you very nicely or fairly. Congratulations on your retirement.

Some companies today actively try to get rid of employees who have been with the company long term. You cost them more in benefits, vacation time and salary than other younger works do. They probably did not fight your unemployment benefits for that reason.

I work for an insurance company and every few years they offer "early retirement" to try to clear out the older workers that make too much. Basically, they give you a lump sum to go away. We have no pension. In five years I would not be surprised if I will receive such an offer even though I am no where near "retirement" age. At my company your age and years of service need to total 60. So you could be a 40 year old "retiree" if you have 20 years of service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement