Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 03:07 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times

Advertisements

One other brief point of information - people collecting unemployment compensation usually have to submit every week or so to the Unemployment Compensation office, places of work where they have submitted their resume and/or places of work where they have filled out applications for jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 03:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Two points.

Employers MAY contest whether an employee has been terminated for cause or voluntarily quit. However, many states are going to rule in favor of the employee about 80% of the time unless the employer can prove the reasons for thje termination (i.e., abandonment of the job or theft). If there is any doubt as to the reason for the termination, the employee will win.

Remember that the person making the determination for the state generally has a file of the UI claims with that employer and generally has a pretty good idea of what is going on.

As for the requirement to submit evidence of a job search, an applicant must do it. However, how hard is it really to send two resumes to employers in the region that you do NOT believe are hiring. I think that it would take maybe an hour.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:41 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
google is your friend -use it . employees do not pay anything in to unemployment insurance .
Wrong.
While it is not taken DIRECTLY from their paycheck,they still pay.
If there was no unemployment insurance then employees' wages would be higher.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:51 PM

106,663 posts, read 108,810,853 times
wrong !

very poor assumption . you really think every dollar an employer saves goes to an employee ?

Old 05-21-2017, 04:04 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
You EARNED those benefits. Not everyone who files can collect..... You have to have so many weeks/months (credits) prior to receiving unemployment. (This prevents those who get a job and 2 weeks later quit, and yet want to collect Unemployment Benefits)...

Getting a job at near 60 is rough, if not impossible, as many employers wants a 20-something to do that job and you might not have fit the "image" for what that company was looking for (as in, you were not 22 years old with tight, fit body). Discrimination is very real and age discrimination even more-so, which gets shoved under the rug, and the fight to push you out begins.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:33 PM

558 posts, read 338,221 times
I am torn on this. Got laid off when I was running out of gas, could not keep up with the programmers half my age. Have until the end of this quarter to file for $500+ a week to pretend to look for work. No one is going to hire a 60-year-old to write code, so why waste anyone’s time? If, by some miracle, I get offered a job, I can easily find a way to fail the drug test.

I pulled this scam when I was laid off in my 20’s. Applied for any job, especially the ones where I was not qualified. Radio station job when I have a terrible voice, proof to looking for employment. Machinist job application. What do you know about this? Nothing. OK, you have a nice day.

Donald Trump can collect SS, but if he did that would be creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement