Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 08:08 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times

Advertisements

My grandmother, "Without your health, you have nothing." (I didn't even remotely understand what she meant back then.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 09:02 PM

1,204 posts, read 934,816 times
My parents gave me two pieces of advice. Retire as early as you can afford to, and don't go to outdoor ATMs after dark. I listened.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
When I was a kid, we lived with my maternal grandparents. I grew up hearing stories of the Great Depression, and all the things they had to do to get by. They never gave me any advice, but their stories made a big impression on me. My own family never had any money when I was a kid (my dad died when I was very young), so that probably factored into my mind set, as well.

I started working at age 12, and by age 30, I had my own business, which was quite sucessful. Always been very frugal. Never spent a dime on myself. Drove an old used pickup till I was over 50. My only new clothes have been gifts from the family. That's still true today. I guess I can afford whatever I want, but I don't want anything, I have too much as it is.

Funny, my brother had the exact opposite reaction. He always worked a high paying job, and spent every nickel. Lived the high life. Flashy dresser. Felt he was a deprived child, I guess. Nothing was ever too good for him. Now he's broke.

You go figure!

Old 05-20-2017, 02:30 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzsilk View Post
While young, did you listen to advice of parents or those older and wiser? Do you hear their words ringing in your ears?
My late mother's wise advise of "it is better to be lonely than miserable" fortunately stuck and saved me from marrying a man very different from myself which no doubt the marriage would have been very short lived.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:03 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
My dad taught me how to budget and handle money when I was young and about investing when I began working. I listened and I'm glad. He also taught me how to swim, fish, drive, play tennis, and he paid for music lessons. He taught me how to grow old gracefully and not become a grouch. I wish he were still around so I could listen to him again.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:00 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
What I heard everyday from my father, "save your money for college."

He had just a high school education and was struggling to support 7 kids. He had not taken advantage of the GI bill to attend college and I think he had grown to regret that decision.

All 7 of us got at least a BS degree, three did masters degrees and one did a PhD. His advice was actually the best advice ever. In my entire life getting well educated was the best decision I ever made.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:17 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
I realize, looking back, that my parents gave me next to no advice and guidance. They were very big on negatively judging any decisions I made, however. I've tried to give my kids the benefit of my experience and on things I learned the hard way, and they have appreciated it.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:29 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
I never had any direct advice given to me by my parents. But I did learn lessons from their actions.

My father was obsessed with the idea my mother cheated (I have no idea if she did). It caused so much anger and upset in my growing up years I decided I would never do that since I never wanted to go through that insanity again.

And I stayed faithful throughout my marriage, tho my ex did not. But then, he did not grow up with my parents.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:03 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
I did not live the same life as my parents - they had 7 children - We have none....

But in terms of thriftiness and how to live my life? Absolutely - I am my mother's daughter.

I open my mouth and mom comes out. Often.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:18 AM

242 posts, read 231,535 times
My father's most indelible piece of advice was this: You have one life to live. You can choose to make it a good one or you can mess it up. It's up to you.

Some other pearls of wisdom were: Go to college and get that piece of paper (diploma). Great advice!

He did advise me to wait and teach a few years before getting married. I did not take that advice and married right after college. Eventually, that marriage ended in divorce. I should have listened to him, but he never said, "I told you so" to me when it fell apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement