Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 04:13 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
When I go to McDonalds, I go for something quick and fast to eat. I'm not going to connect with the harried teenager that's 45 years younger than me. If I want social engagement, it's not going to be at a fast food joint.
I agree. In fact my opinion would include restaurant servers and store clerks pretty much everywhere. I don't go to a restaurant or store to try to find friends among the staff.

I should also say I don't understand the concept of minimum wage. There is a rough balance of supply and demand when it comes to employment. I don't expect to be paid more than I am worth. Nor did I ever work for an employer who overpaid me. I always felt a bit underpaid which stimulated my interest in advancing my career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 04:36 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
When I go to McDonalds, I go for something quick and fast to eat. I'm not going to connect with the harried teenager that's 45 years younger than me. If I want social engagement, it's not going to be at a fast food joint.
I hate being behind the person that wants to talk with the server or cashier. While some guy wants to talk about who knows what my food is waiting to be brought out or the server is forgetting my water refill that I asked for.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:50 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
I'm 62 and I love technology,to a point. I love the table kiosks that allow me to pay that way, much preferred over handing my CC to a stranger who disappears around the corner with my card. I like having the freedom to buy anything I'd like online. I like that technology makes my life immeasurably better.

What I don't like about technology is the fact that it typically replaces or reduces human interaction to some degree. There was a time when that was OK with me, but now that I am older I find that I enjoy being around and interacting with people far more than I thought I would in my later years.

My two cents.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:54 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
$15 a hour for unskilled labor in California is why the computers in restaurants.
Excellent point! -- This is a growing factor in the advanced technological automation scenario. Some politicians and media pander to uninformed or non-critical thinkers with the absurd notion that the only thing keeping the minimum wage down (and limiting "free" healthcare and other 'give-away's is greed! This is nonsense!

Someone always pay for someone else's "free" ... and you can bet it isn't the ones spending other people's money or making the rules. Cost-cutting, supplemented by ever-increasing prices, will only continue until consumers reject either the lack of service or over-priced, poor quality products. (Look at what happened to the American auto industry between the 1970's to 1990's. The technologically automated plants in Detroit have all but, shut down ... and many people still will not buy an American car, even though quality is again improving!)

Old 05-22-2017, 05:41 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
This isn't talking about retirement but given the age of those here (not knocking against anyone, just the forum with the age range I am curious about) I was curious about something. My father is 64 and one thing I have noticed is it bothers him how technology has gone to replace human interaction. For example, one time we went to eat at a fast food place and there were these kiosks where you just touched the screen to order what you want, he didn't like that saying "What happened to actually ordering from people?"

Another time we went to a restaurant where instead of giving the waiter/waitress your food there was a computer on the table where you slid your card and pay. When the waitress came over he tried to give her his card but was told he needed to use the computer to which he said "Well, can't I just give it to you?" and she said he had to use the computer. He had trouble using it and I had to do it for him. Yet again he bemoaned about it.

My question to all of you do you feel the same? Does technology taking away from interacting with others bother you?
I'm 72. I agree 100%+ with your father. I seriously despise the kind of technology you're talking about. I would never go back to that restaurant. I don't use self checkouts. I don't pay at the pump for gas. I don't like learning new things unless I'm in the mood and want to. Having new stuff forced on me insures the permanent loss of my business. I remember when ACE Hardware went to self-pay. Just boom, one day there were no more cashiers. I couldn't figure out how to use it so I walked out. That was probably 10 years ago. I haven't been to an ACE since then. At least stores like Wal-Mart give you the option. I've never, ever used a self-checkout, anywhere, ever, and won't.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:57 PM

496 posts, read 552,743 times
I'm 60, and I like using good-quality self-serve technology instead of taking my chances with someone who may or may not care how they are serving me.

What I don't like is constantly having to personally update/upgrade my technology. I'd like it to do that itself, silently, invisibly, "transparently" as the IT phrase has it.

Now, I know some older folks (80's) who have trouble with all the screens, but that is an eyesight thing, not refusal to learn new things. When you start refusing to learn, and expecting everything to stay the same, you are on the downward slope for sure.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I'm 62 and I love technology,to a point. I love the table kiosks that allow me to pay that way, much preferred over handing my CC to a stranger who disappears around the corner with my card. I like having the freedom to buy anything I'd like online. I like that technology makes my life immeasurably better.

What I don't like about technology is the fact that it typically replaces or reduces human interaction to some degree. There was a time when that was OK with me, but now that I am older I find that I enjoy being around and interacting with people far more than I thought I would in my later years.

My two cents.
I agree. I like technology too - but I'm growing concerned about how many people can't look away from their devices. I would post this news media video about a little boy who was murdered, but for some reason the thread about that subject was deleted so I don't think I can post a news video about it. BUT, for heaven sake, LOOK UP FROM YOUR PHONE OR LAPTOP! The reporter on camera was staring at her phone and talking, not appearing to read from her phone but still inexplicably looking at it rather than the camera. She went on to find some guy in a cubicle to interview about the subject and they had to kind of video the side of his head, like his ear. Because he wouldn't look up from his laptop to face the reporter. When he finally did he then looked off at an angle and continued talking, again not meeting eyes with the reporter. Bizarre, really, that they didn't stop the camera and say we need you to look up when you are speaking - but the reporter herself was having difficulty not staring into her cell phone while she reported.

I teach middle school Sunday school and the curriculum often tells us to invite the class to text us the answers to discussions - you know, kids are comfortable with that - and NO WAY!! NO WAY I'm conducting a middle school Sunday school class and allowing these kids to stare into their cell phones the whole time.

I know I sound like I'm 100 years old. I'm not. ;D

Old 05-22-2017, 06:42 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
I am a dinosaur but self check out is easy!

No one on the face of the earth can possibly know less about technology than I do. However, I don't get what the objection to self check out is. I use it at Home Depot if the lines are shorter there. You scan your items one by one, placeing each item in a bag if it is small enough to fit in one, then you punch "pay now" (or whatever the exact wording is), then it asks you to choose cash or credit so you punch that button and put either your card or your cash into the machine. If you are paying cash, your change is then given to you by the machine along with your receipt. If I can do that, then anyone can do that.

Now at the supermarket there is a bit of a learning curve when you are buying produce. However, it is not a difficult learning curve; I did it once with the help of the attendant, but it's been a while and I have forgotten what the procedure is, so I would have to ask for help again. If it were important to me to learn that, I would learn it. That is, even I would learn it, and I am mentally retarded.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:06 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
Many of us don't like the self-check out, the touch pad to order this and that, imagine the day you get in an Uber's vehicle with no driver (driverless vehicle).

I am okay with the modern technology like now; but I can't imagine I would ever want to get in a "taxi" with no driver. Sounds very scary to me.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:14 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
yep.
Sometimes i like human interaction. Other times a computer chip works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement