Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 12:32 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times

Advertisements

No. And I never looked back after I left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 09:47 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
No. I guess I've never been seen as that valuable.
Nor, have I every worked at a company that valued an experienced employee's knowledge that much.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:13 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
It also helped that there was a transfer of knowledge over my past couple of years. I ended up in a position where I was a division manager for a new and unique aspect of what my department did. I had a staff of one, with another helping us part-time when necessary. The guy who worked for me was smart as hell and ready to step into the position when I left. He got the promotion.and called to thank me for helping him get there and for recommending him as my successor. He's got a good career ahead of him.

The part that makes me smile is that I had a secretarial school education. Did some night school and got a few college credits, but never finished my degree. My successor has a J.D. He will go further than I did, though.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:04 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
.....My resignation was not accepted and I was told my leaving would cause a severe hardship for my co-workers... no matter how one looks at it... morale has never been this low in my 26 years and through several mergers and acquisitions... back in 1998 we were acquired and it was a celebration... real benefits with a real HR and all the big company things like stock options, profit sharing, sabbaticals, etc... that lasted all of 3 years until that company left California...

Change is change... I keep hearing no one likes change and I disagree... change can be good, bad or neutral.
How can they not accept your resignation? I mean, you could just stop coming in after the date you stated you were retired. Then maybe they would fire you right? Then you're retired. Unless a pension or health insurance is involved, I don't think they can force you to work!

Old 05-31-2017, 01:22 PM

526 posts, read 386,066 times
"The cemetery is filled with indispensable people".

I think most people that tell these stories of the mean old boss begging them to stay, are full of ****. These are the same types of people who think they're heroes because they go to work sick. Or never take vacation. Or neglect their families and loved ones to work extra hours at the office.

Nobody lays on their death beds and wishes they spent more time at the office.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:33 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,188 times
I'm not saying I was the most valuable worker there but a month after I retired they sold the place and closed up.
Coincidence?

Old 06-02-2017, 02:21 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
How can they not accept your resignation? I mean, you could just stop coming in after the date you stated you were retired. Then maybe they would fire you right? Then you're retired. Unless a pension or health insurance is involved, I don't think they can force you to work!
One Army person was not aware that as an officer, he couldn't "just quit". He had to apply for retirement or something like that. He was only able to quit a year later, but he still got paid, and did some busy work.

Of course military is different than civilian jobs. In the former, they can come after you in ways they don't in the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement