Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 10:58 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
What that really means is those states require younger people to pay more than their share.
This is VERY true! Seniors DO benefit from what everyone pays taxes for. Even if they're not driving anymore, they're still eating, getting meds, going to doctors, etc. So they DO benefit from roads.

And they do benefit from good schools. I've lived in places with HORRIBLE school systems and it showed. You could absolutely tell who the parents were that went to that same school. Poorly educated folks are an issue for many things in life because they just can't wrap their head around things. I wouldn't even say it's their fault necessarily. Poor school systems are too blame. Many districts have been TERRIBLE for years and years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The above may be the only time those two schools are mentioned in the same sentence.
LOL Well I went with those 2 because one is Ivy league and the other practically everyone has heard of and it's a state school. Even us northerners know USC for their sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 11:04 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Absolutely. That is why since the internet, most colleges and universities are closing. Even medical schools are closing. With the internet there just is no reason to have to go to medical school in order to practice medicine. In fact we really don't have much need of doctors since we can go on the internet and diagnose and treat ourselves. The trades are working pretty much the same way. There is no reason to spend years in apprenticeship training when all that is needed is to watch some YouTube videos.

Travel is pretty much the same way. You can sit at home in Iowa and watch the national geographic channel or some YouTube videos and do virtual travel to anywhere.

What I especially like is that the internet has replaced any sort of need for direct human interaction. Discussion forums and Facebook have replaced that need. Even better when you are no longer interested, you merely shutdown your computer.
The beauty of the internet is you can be anything you want.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:05 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we just got back from nashville . land of my people since i am a musician . great place to visit but not someplace i could ever live .
Nashville is a great city.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:15 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Many states do have exemptions for seniors. Even NY does. Just on the school taxes though. $800 for property taxes is nothing! Come to the Northeast. It's really hard finding anywhere with property and school taxes less than $6K a year. Typically, it's much higher.
I live in New England. In this area taxes are not bad at all.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:24 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Where do you get your information from? Most colleges and universities are NOT closing. There's been a handful that have closed. There have been numerous for profit scam colleges that were forced to close because they were breaking the law. They were sued and investigated. They were shams! I don't see Harvard or USC closing their doors anytime soon.

As for the rest of this post...good grief! I really hope you left off the /sarcasm.
The university near me is UMaine-Orono. They just announced an increase to their tuition.

In-State was $8,370/year. The new tuition for In-State students will be $8,580/year.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/05/2...-tuition-hike/

Old 05-25-2017, 11:31 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Absolutely. That is why since the internet, most colleges and universities are closing. Even medical schools are closing. With the internet there just is no reason to have to go to medical school in order to practice medicine. In fact we really don't have much need of doctors since we can go on the internet and diagnose and treat ourselves. The trades are working pretty much the same way. There is no reason to spend years in apprenticeship training when all that is needed is to watch some YouTube videos.

Travel is pretty much the same way. You can sit at home in Iowa and watch the national geographic channel or some YouTube videos and do virtual travel to anywhere.

What I especially like is that the internet has replaced any sort of need for direct human interaction. Discussion forums and Facebook have replaced that need. Even better when you are no longer interested, you merely shutdown your computer.
Obviously not true except in the most casual sense and mostly for entertainment purposes. Even if you found completely reliable medical sources, for example you can't do surgery on yourself, you almost always need a prescription even if you "know" what medication you need, and you don't have access to medical equipment to run the proper diagnostics to begin with. Sure, you can order lab tests online but you can't give yourself a a mammogram! And actual medical training to become a doctor still requires more than a visual inspection to learn a procedure.

And for "the trades" - sure, I can learn basic repairs but there is still a certain aptitude required even if you have access to educational materials. I don't think you can learn how to install a commercial hvac system online and as with the field of medicine, a hands-on apprenticeship will still be necessary.

And I can Google Earth anything - sure - the Pyramids, Greece, Stonehenge. But just like listening to the radio, in some cases you still want to go to a live concert and you still want to go up in the Eiffel Tower no mater how many times you've heard the song or seen the picture.

The internet is massively entertaining and extremely educational...I love reading reviews from hundreds or thousands of people rather than relying on 2 friends! I love getting advice and perspectives from dozens rather than those same 2 friends that I'm embarrassed to talk to about some stuff and they aren't even qualified to answer! But,there's a lot that hasn't been replaced.

Now...what was the original question?

Old 05-25-2017, 01:01 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
The beauty of the internet is you can be anything you want.
I guess that is true if trying to fool strangers means something to you.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:27 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Not exactly a long time ago... many "Golden" buyers bought between 2009 and 2012...

Prices in some neighborhoods here in Oakland CA dropped 80... as in a home that sold for 500k in 2007 resold as a foreclosure for 100K in 2009...

Prop 13 is silent as to length of ownership...
My wife and I never thought we would own a home. We bought in 2010 when prices dropped. Not as big a drop as the example you offered, but still values dropped by 50% when we were buying. best thing we ever did. I am seeing homes sell for almost what they were getting in the last run up. Golden buyer? I guess so.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:14 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
The beauty of a Prop 13 is the ability to predict future taxes because the rules are very simple.

Base year is Fair Market Value at the time of Transfer, Annual Inflation Factor is a max of 2% and Special Assessments require voter approval.

My area of Oakland was hit real hard but has more than rebounded over the last 5 years.

I tried to get a few friends that were on the fence to jump in but they had no desire... now they all have said they should have listened because rents have also jumped.

If a person is on a "Fixed" income it would seem even more important to keep taxes predictable.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:50 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I live in New England. In this area taxes are not bad at all.
Maybe in your part of Maine, but that's not true of the entire state. I thought about moving there once....outside Portland, NH and saw the taxes and oil heat and said never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement