Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 02:36 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i didn't even want them before i retired . to restrictive .
You and me. I don't understand this love affair with dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 02:37 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,804 times
[quote=Windwalker2;48291798]I got myself an Aussie puppy for my 70th birthday. He came after two of my older Aussies died and I had just one dog. He will probably be my last puppy. Fragile senior skin is not make for puppy teeth and I usually had one or more "wounds" till he outgrew that stage. Neither of my current dogs will jump into the car like my old ones did, so I see that as also becoming a problem as I age. When one of these dies, I will look to rescue an older dog, maybe for someone who has to go into AL or a nursing home and can't take their pet. It will be a sad day

Exactly! There are so many older dogs waiting for wonderful homes. The older I get the older the dog that I will welcome as family

Old 05-26-2017, 02:40 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
We travel too much to have pets. We just enjoy our son's two dogs.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khintul View Post
I haven't seen anyone give the reason I decided many years ago no more pets for me - maybe I'm just a wimp, but I can't stand the heartbreak when they cross over!

I had made my no pets decision many years ago, but my parents always had a poodle - they would get a new puppy as soon as they lost the current pet. When they both went into serious decline and passed at 83 and 88, I became the caretaker of the dog, who was 12 years old at the time. Tried to find a home for her, but due to her age no takers and I couldn't stand the thought of her not being cared for, so once again I had a dog.

She was a great dog, and I loved her dearly, but once again had to go through the heartbreak of losing her 5 years later. I can still vividly recall the hurt.

I love both dogs and cats, but I just am not willing to go through it again.
I don't get the constant talk of travel. It's fine, but it's never been a big part of my life. It certainly doesn't compare with having pets.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:01 PM

352 posts, read 262,814 times
Yesterday I came home from the vet's office with my 12 year old dog who probably has cancer. I have a 16 year old cat and a 10 year old cat. Never in my life have I not had a cat or dog. And I have loved every bit of the joy and companionship they have brought me through the years. But, when these last 3 are gone my husband and I are just not sure if we will get any more pets. We have about 5 more years until retirement. There is that part of me that cannot imagine not having a pet. Our children live out of state and we are not sure where we will end up in retirement, but I know we will be traveling a lot to see our children and want to travel. So I feel selfish to think I would have pets and not be home with them that often. My mother is almost 87 and has a 12 year old little dog. I hope like hell she outlives the dog. I certainly don't want her. And she never wants to go anywhere because of the dog. And yes, when you are on a fixed income it is expensive to take care of them properly. But gosh, I sure love them so much. I am not completely sure what I will do when the time comes. I hate to think that the pets I have now may be the last I will ever have. That makes me feel like I would be too old to enjoy something I would love so much. Tough decision for me.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:23 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khintul View Post
I haven't seen anyone give the reason I decided many years ago no more pets for me - maybe I'm just a wimp, but I can't stand the heartbreak when they cross over!

I had made my no pets decision many years ago, but my parents always had a poodle - they would get a new puppy as soon as they lost the current pet. When they both went into serious decline and passed at 83 and 88, I became the caretaker of the dog, who was 12 years old at the time. Tried to find a home for her, but due to her age no takers and I couldn't stand the thought of her not being cared for, so once again I had a dog.

She was a great dog, and I loved her dearly, but once again had to go through the heartbreak of losing her 5 years later. I can still vividly recall the hurt.

I love both dogs and cats, but I just am not willing to go through it again.
I can understand this. All of my pets have been either strays, from a shelter, or were unwanted. I tried to remind myself that I helped to enhance their life or enabled them to survive if I had not intervened. That rationale helped with my grief.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:38 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I chose to live on a farm and I have 4 dogs and 2 horses...I'm living the life I've always dreamed of
But the horses probably think, 'boy this sucks.'

Old 05-26-2017, 04:42 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I don't get the constant talk of travel. It's fine, but it's never been a big part of my life. It certainly doesn't compare with having pets.
Some people travel out of necessity to see family. It's not always for tourism.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:43 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
I really don't understand the difficulties of travel when you have pets. I had 5 cats when I was still working for the Navy and I traveled extensively to distant locations, like the Aleutian Islands, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, California, etc. Most of my trips were a week long, but occasionally I had to combine projects with some proximity and ended up being gone for two weeks or more. I had a wonderful pet sitter and never had any problems at all with her caring for the cats as well as watching out for the house. All of those cats have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge now and there have been others in the interim that passed also. I now have 4 cats, 3 of which are fairly young, and I do the same thing when I travel, except I like to board the older one that has some special needs. It's not like I'm gone every other week, so no problem with cost. Honestly, I really wouldn't want to be without at least one pet, cat or dog, in the house. They're so much company and provide endless pleasure and affection, plus giggles at their antics. If I ever have to go to assisted living I'll make sure the place I choose allows for pets as well. And I took out life insurance at age 66 to provide for any surviving pets after my death, so they won't go to the local shelter either.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:54 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
ME! We have a three year old Cavalier rescue who has a minor disability and an onery old rescue cat. When they pass there will be no more pets.

As far as traveling with the furkid (cat stays home) ... as long as you bring your pet's shot certificate with you, most cities have doggie day care and boarding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement