Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 03:57 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times

Advertisements

I currently have 5 old friends buried in my yard. I am expecting to move in the future and they are staying in the ground. In my view the bones are nothing; the old dogs that have passed live in my heart.

I have never considered cremation for my animals. If I had cremated them I would scatter their ashes. Why keep a box of ashes in storage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 04:29 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times
I've always liked this idea for me and for my pets: EterniTrees TM: Biodegradable Urns for Pets and People I would like to have us all buried next to each other so that we form a cluster of trees in a protected wooded area. I'm not sure if the last part of this is possible, but that is my hope.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:39 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
In our former home we had a pet cemetery, complete with gerbils, hermit crabs, cats, parakeets, and dogs. In our retirement garden we have the cremated remains of a beloved cat, marked by an antique foo dog, amid Echinacea and wildflowers. We prefer cremation for our larger pets and for ourselves.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:42 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
As a retiree, I have had a few pets who died and was uncertain as to what to do ? Cremate them? Bury them somewhere? Find a pet cemetery?

My most beloved cat died in 1997. He was 19 and I buried him in my yard. (It was ok then to do so). But then I moved to another state so I dug him up and re buried him in my mother's garden. His sister passed so I buried her along side of the house where no one could see the gravesite.

Since then, I have cared for 3 other cats. Two were my kid's cats and one was, again, my very own beloved darling calico. She died a year ago and I now have 3 cats in boxes in my den. All cremated.

Here's the problem. I now have 2 elderly dogs. When they pass, what to do? I cannot keep cremating these pets and stacking them up in the closet. What do other retirees do? These pets were all rescues and were old, like me. I truly do not want to be cremated and kept in a box in the closet.

I wish there was a pet cemetery here. That would be a good solution. So what do you do?

My much loved Patches died two weeks ago quite suddenly and unexpectedly. I was in shock and wasn't sure what to do. I had a friend come over for some 'moral support' and we discussed 'what to do'. I wanted to bury her in the back yard but ended up calling the vet and asking about cremation. I was able to take her in a couple of hours later. I got the ashes back the next week and they are in a beautiful box in my bedroom. I'm glad I did that because I feel like I still have her with me. She had just turned 11 in April but she was so overweight I think her heart and lungs just 'gave out'. I still have my Dakota but she's 17 and while she seems healthy enough I still worry. And she's been kind of 'strange' since Patches died, like she's looking for her, meowing sadly, etc.. And laying around in all the places Patches always did rather than the ones that have always been 'hers'. They were never exactly bosom buddies but were housemates for 11 years so I guess she would miss Patches. I miss her too. When Dakota 'leaves me' I will have her cremated as well and they can mix ALL our ashes together when *I* leave too. Then 'they' can do whatever they want with all our ashes.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:09 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
When I was married and had a house with a yard, any pet who passed on was buried in the back yard.

That was a long time ago. I live in an apartment and would not think of burying my pet anywhere around here. The vet cremates them now. He always asks if I want the ashes. I always say no. He has told me that all the remains of pets who have died and been cremated are then put into a container and buried in one of the local pet cemeteries. That works for me.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:02 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
I always figured retired people did the same as working people when their pets died. Am I missing the point?

Old 05-27-2017, 06:32 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
The vet cremated my cats and I didn't request the ashes.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
When I was married and had a house with a yard, any pet who passed on was buried in the back yard.

That was a long time ago. I live in an apartment and would not think of burying my pet anywhere around here. The vet cremates them now. He always asks if I want the ashes. I always say no. He has told me that all the remains of pets who have died and been cremated are then put into a container and buried in one of the local pet cemeteries. That works for me.
Same here. I never wanted the ashes and having lived in apartment buildings I did not have a yard in which to bury my cats when they died. I do have a little clay disc with my last deceased kitty's paw print. It's a nice remembrance since she had funny toes and I used to "tease" her about it. I also used to complain how difficult it they made it for me to trim her nails. I would give anything to be able to have than problem again.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:48 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I always figured retired people did the same as working people when their pets died. Am I missing the point?
Almost seems like this thread belongs in a different forum.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:54 PM

5 posts, read 3,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
My retired brother, who otherwise lived alone, had three beloved cats that died over the course of several years. He had them cremated and the urns were in his bedroom. When he passed away, I had the urns placed in his casket so they can all spend eternity together. That was his wish.

You may want to consider this as well.

My mother's wish when she died was to have her favorite dog's ashes buried with her. Not only did we have to ship her body clear across country but we had to make sure that the funeral home who took care of the shipping included the urn with Tootsie's ashes. All was done according to her wishes. We felt so blessed that we could do this for our mother who loved that dog so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement