Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:10 PM

38 posts, read 48,975 times

Advertisements

I am interested in retired people who vacation long term (3-5) months each year to escape the Texas or Florida Heat. Specifically people who setup a vacation base in Europe, Asia, or Australia and travel during the 3-5 months in that area at a leisurely pace.

We are looking to retire in a few years, but do not want to sell our house, but rather spend the summers and enjoy traveling leisurely overseas. We would like to hear about the type of housing you use overseas and how it is rented. Any logistics issues that may be encountered. Also, any other information, experiences, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 12:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,190,820 times
PNW USA is superb from Jul 5 - Oct 10 (And tolerable from May - Jul 5)

for USA... I like it as a perfect swap to my TX hill Country Climate

NZ and Aust are great in Dec - Feb for those 5AM sunrises and 10 PM sunsets that last forever, beautiful wildflowers during USA gray winter. 'FREE"dom camping in NZ is excellent and you can buy a campervan for under $5k and leave there.

I prefer Europe in Spring and Fall, as summers are too busy. You can rent a furnished flat within 30 min of a big city

Asia is fine in Midwinter, but Thailand is crowded with Europeans getting Healthcare needs taken care of. (as they have done for 50 yrs)

As a retiree, it is nice to visit these places 'off season'.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:14 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,915,842 times
We have a home in FL and a home in Central Mexico and travel between the two. It gives us a great balance.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,190,820 times
We would like to hear about the type of housing you use overseas and how it is rented. Any logistics issues that may be encountered. Also, any other information, experiences, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

1) Rent funished flat in Blocks (Apartment buildings) or a separate living space in someone's home
2) We are rural centric, so prefer farm stays working with farmers (Who often have extra homes / cabins / living spaces). There was a homeschool family from Oregon who was buying Vineyards in France and selling 'shares' to 3-4 families in USA, Euro farms come with multiple residences and usually a caretaker!
3) partner with a local (there are plenty) who will rent you a separate living space, or you can build a guest home on their property that they may use while you are gone.
4) Last yr we were gone all yr RTW, and did a few stints of volunteer service at boarding vocational schools (Free room and board). Ours are all rural and in beautiful spots that make regional exploration very ez. Staying at the school and being staff will link you up with local people who are very helpful.
5) Euro delivery car + travel Ship car back to USA and sell it)
6) We have a Class B Camper van (euro brand), which friends have shipped the same size RV overseas in a container. They have kept it in Europe for several yrs and they fly back and forth to use it.

My TX and my PNW home are both rented with very good cash flows, (~$1k / month FCF each month) & I stay in the guest house for free (Wherever I happen to be) Since both are rural / farms... there is plenty of shop space for me to store my toys (Bulldozer, tractors, motorcycles, trucks...)

I license and insure my CHEAP 'onsite' cars as 'collector cars' in my home state (lifetime registration / no renewal for $43).

fly back and forth whenever I want (Deductible travel to manage the properties as per IRS rules + 1/2 of food costs).

Old 06-15-2017, 03:28 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,103,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandra View Post
I am interested in retired people who vacation long term (3-5) months each year to escape the Texas or Florida Heat. Specifically people who setup a vacation base in Europe, Asia, or Australia and travel during the 3-5 months in that area at a leisurely pace.

We are looking to retire in a few years, but do not want to sell our house, but rather spend the summers and enjoy traveling leisurely overseas. We would like to hear about the type of housing you use overseas and how it is rented. Any logistics issues that may be encountered. Also, any other information, experiences, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Interesting idea to keep the home and for just under half the year leave it and travel around. I would like to know how that works out. We are not considering keeping our home. It is too bid and we have too much travel to do. If you do something like the give us your reaction on how it worked out and what you ultimately rented.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:39 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,915,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Interesting idea to keep the home and for just under half the year leave it and travel around. I would like to know how that works out. We are not considering keeping our home. It is too bid and we have too much travel to do. If you do something like the give us your reaction on how it worked out and what you ultimately rented.
We have had 2 homes since 2008. We knew very early on in our married life that we are owners, not renters. For us having 2 nests works well. We use the one in MX as a base for traveling around MX and Guatemala. The FL house is good for traveling to Europe.

Yes, both houses are vacant a lot. We invite friends and family to use them; otherwise we hire a management company to check in on them.

I actually know several retired couples who own 3 homes for their own use (not rented out).

Old 06-15-2017, 04:19 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,103,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We have had 2 homes since 2008. We knew very early on in our married life that we are owners, not renters. For us having 2 nests works well. We use the one in MX as a base for traveling around MX and Guatemala. The FL house is good for traveling to Europe.

Yes, both houses are vacant a lot. We invite friends and family to use them; otherwise we hire a management company to check in on them.

I actually know several retired couples who own 3 homes for their own use (not rented out).
Understood. I am not sure I like the idea of leaving a home unoccupied for that long. Especially since we have an extensive list of locations and trips on our wish list.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:53 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,676,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Understood. I am not sure I like the idea of leaving a home unoccupied for that long. Especially since we have an extensive list of locations and trips on our wish list.

That's our problem. Our 2nd home in the U.S. is not by choice---it won't sell. So in the meantime it is vacant or we have to get house-sitters. It is rural so no property management out there. It is scary having a vacant house so far away, also scary have house-sitters we know nothing about, caring for it. And the added burden of paying the ongoing costs. We don't return there; we are happy here.

The owners here in So. America are snowbirds and come here in the winter to escape their weather. Then they return to the U.S. There is rental/property management here so they use that. But not much rental going on so the management just maintains it. It was about $40 per month for that, plus utilities, as some minimal cooling has to keep going.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:01 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,605,871 times
I do it the other way. I escape Alaska in the winter for five months and go to Arizona.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:47 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,891,300 times
We spend the ski season in Park City. Then we migrate to Las Vegas for the summertime poker season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement