Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 06:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post

At a later stage of life (61) I've been finishing a major dental seige in which I'll have mostly dental implants, plus a few denture inserts. After a lifetime of dental issues I'll have an anchorperson-style set of dazzling choppers. For many reasons none of it was possible until now. Knock wood, I hope this will be my main health story for a long while. I value being able to walk and drive no differently than twenty years ago. However, my biggest concern is I don't seem to have the effortless energy to muster as before. It may be psychological. The impulse to be always actively running about is fading when the temptation of a nap beckons. Naps are good, but not too many.

Age 61 is an awfully young age to be nap-prone already. Nothing wrong with some naps at times. But this does sound psychological, as you suggest,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 07:57 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Most noticeable changes between 50 and 80?

That's really a strange question since everything changes. Good grief, that's 30 years. Would you ask what's the most noticeable changes between 20 and 50?

Old 02-24-2018, 06:16 AM

310 posts, read 202,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
That sentence is exactly what I feel..... only did not know how to put it in words. Effortless energy. Oh, I had so much of it at one time. Darn I miss it.
There was a time I'd emerge from Penn Station and think, now to walk down to the Battery--and back!
It's been about five years I last did it without a thought. I still walk around Manhattan, but I'm more mindful of what I'm in for.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Age 61 is an awfully young age to be nap-prone already. Nothing wrong with some naps at times. But this does sound psychological, as you suggest,
I know, and sometimes it's just an excuse to lie down and organize my thoughts.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:36 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I can so identify with this! So many things I want to do but am physically limited, although not extremely. Mostly it's things like being VERY nervous on ladders anymore. I never used to give it a thought and could paint the entire interior of my house. Not anymore. I have nightmares of falling off a ladder, breaking something and then what? I live alone and nobody comes by very often. Hopefully I could reach a phone! But it worries me. My physical limitations are from arthritis, mostly, but is scattered all over it seems. The worst is my feet because I am ON my feet all day every day. I also have COPD and that limits me too. I seem to have a lot of little aches and pains. They aren't really painful most of the time but they are damned annoying! Seems like ever since my 73rd b'day I've just started falling apart a little at a time. Bayer Back and Body is my lifesaver. I buy the BIG bottle! lol

I have to say, though, after reading everyone else's posts I still realize how incredibly lucky I've been my whole life, healthwise. Except for the COPD I'm still in decent health, no meds, etc., except my inhaler. I've never had any kind of surgery or been in a hospital except to have my babies and the last one of those was 53 years ago. So, yes, I have given thanks every day for all that.

One good thing is that I feel like I'm slowing down. Most people don't want to slow down but I've been high energy all my life and it's exhausting. I'm slowing down because I am just plain tired. I sometimes worry about that because it could have a physical origin but I think it's mostly just because I'm still working. I used to really like how fast and busy my days were and now I sometimes want to cry when I see yet ANOTHER heaping shopping cart coming at me! And through it all I have to be 'up', friendly, personable and organized. Doing that all day long is exhausting too and I'm tired by the end. So, I figure that my job is what is making me tired and not some physical malady.

I still wish I could retire and, although I accepted a long time ago that I never will, it still makes me depressed now and then. Even worse my friends from work are retiring, one by one, every week it seems. I tell them I'll try real hard not to hate them. One more raise and I can go down to 4 days a week.

I wrote all this less than a year ago and things have changed some since then. For one thing I broke my winning streak of never being hospitalized, having surgery, no broken bones or meds. Geeez, I had hoped to keep going like I was! lol

Breaking my hip, being poked, prodded, x-rayed and examined half to death have brought up a few things I never really suspected. Although I did kind of 'expect' some of it. Dealing with the COPD is easy enough and I'm doing okay with that. THEN they find out I have osteoporosis so another med to take for the next two years. Then my eyes and I've had both cataract surgeries now. My 'old lady aches and pains' are still with me, of course, but not getting any worse. Still, though, I have been pronounced in very good health and no future problems, so far.

I am definitely slowing down these days. Some of it is because of COPD and surgeries but mostly it's been a concentrated effort. I can't do some of the things I could without even thinking like being able to kneel on the floor to do anything. Harder and harder for me to get up! I still have plenty of energy on the job but when that's done I am pooped out! It seems to me that since I turned 73 it's just been one thing after another but, thankfully, nothing to terribly serious. I am still thankful that my health has been good for so many years. Compared to a lot of other people I'd say I'm doing really well and I am grateful for that.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:41 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
I know, and sometimes it's just an excuse to lie down and organize my thoughts.
Or as I put it: Sometimes I feel the urge to exercise, but I just lie down until the feeling goes away.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:13 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Hair growing in my ears.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:52 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
For me the difference between 50 and 70 is staggering.

At 50 I could control my weight with simple common sense eating but now it seems I can stop eating and the weight still hangs on. I would love to lose 20 lbs.

I need my epidural every six months or I start walking bent over like an old man. I need one now and am scheduled for next Thursday.

Still working full time and have decided to continue doing so because work keeps my mind active. The good part of working is I don't have to and as my son-in-law tells me I have reached the KMA stage of life. Kiss My A** stage of working life and I like the freedom it brings.

My mind.... little things... I forget a name... it is on the tip of my tongue but I just can't get it out and it scares me. Is it Altzeimers? People tell me it isn't but I still worry about it.

Balance is off. Not way off but I like pushing a cart in the supermarket... I like the stability it gives me. Anyone else?

My attitude on what people think of me is changing... I could care less and as time passes it becomes less and less. I don't care.

I feel like I am becoming history. I remember the duck and cover exercises we had in school to prepare for nuclear war with the Soviet Union. I remember Eisenhower being President, the Bay of Pigs invasion and East Germany building the Berlin Wall. I was drafted into the army and sent to Vietnam 50 years ago this coming April 17th. I think of all these things and it dawns on me that most people I see weren't even alive when I experience them.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:31 AM

[
I feel like I am becoming history. I remember the duck and cover exercises we had in school to prepare for nuclear war with the Soviet Union. I remember Eisenhower being President, the Bay of Pigs invasion and East Germany building the Berlin Wall. I was drafted into the army and sent to Vietnam 50 years ago this coming April 17th. I think of all these things and it dawns on me that most people I see weren't even alive when I experience them.[/quote]

Me too, and my time frame comparisons reach into the '80s! Kids graduating high school this year have never known the 20th century!

Old 02-24-2018, 02:18 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:

There was a time I'd emerge from Penn Station and think, now to walk down to the Battery--and back!
It's been about five years I last did it without a thought. I still walk around Manhattan, but I'm more mindful of what I'm in for.
I know what you mean! I'd walk from the Metropolitan Museum of Art at 82nd or 84th St FORTY blocks down to 43rd St and then 6 long blocks over on a cross street to the Theater District - with complete ease and without even a thought! And then walk a ton of blocks back after the play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement