Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:41 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,092,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
In my late teens and early twenties, I thought I had all the answers and couldn't understand why so many others just didn't seem to "get it."

The older I grow, the more I realize how little I really know. Today, it doesn't matter to me what the world and others say or do, I rely on God's truth standard, the Bible, even when I imagine that I see another answer with my own eyes.

"What if some were unfaithful? Will their unfaithfulness nullify God’s faithfulness? 4 Not at all! Let God be true, and every human being a liar. As it is written: “So that you may be proved right when you speak and prevail when you judge.” Romans 3:3-4
Me too.

I've been trying to think of which 180 to post about & it occured to me that it would be easier for me to mention the things I haven't done a 180 on. That would be an easier task & I'm not in my 50's yet.

I left home at 16 but I had been convinced I knew it all since I was very, very young. What I do miss is the confidence I had back then. Nothing shook me up, I was sure that everything would work itself out & oddly; back then it did. More so than now at least. Not only the older I get the less I realize I know but also; the little knowledge I have managed to gain is just enough for me to scare myself with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 03:38 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,774,941 times
That's easy. Abortion. When I was a 17 year old high school graduate and knew NOTHING about the real world, I was dead set against it for purely emotional (not rational) reasons.

It didn't take more than a year or two living on my own in the real world for the blinders to come off.

I'm still anti abortion, but you can be darn sure I am PRO CHOICE. Because just because I was lucky enough not to ever end up in a situation where I became pregnant when I didn't want to be doesn't mean I can't recognize that safe abortions in a non-judgmental environment (eg none of this crap about making the woman watch movies or look at pictures of aborted foetusi or anything else along those lines, INCLUDING waiting periods) are necessary to be easily available.

I'm "anti" in the sense that I think it is always better to avoid uneccessary mucking about with our bodies for any reason. In the same sense I am "anti" boob jobs. Actually I am way way WAY more anti boob jobs than anti abortion.

Seriously. I am SO glad I got off my moralistic high horse on that issue as quickly as I did.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:21 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,818,916 times
I was a staunch Democrat all my life. Then in 1990 I heard a Democrat lawmaker criticize Republicans for wanting to build more prisons than schools. It sure wasn't his intention to lose a loyal Democrat voter but that's exactly what happened. All my life I have had deep animosity towards the criminal element and want them harshly punished. Realizing my party was the soft on crime party was unacceptable to me. I became a Republican and voted GOP every election since...although I am afraid today's Republicans are becoming too soft on crime themselvea.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:40 AM

505 posts, read 716,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Do you want them being able to raise children in most cases?
I sure have no trouble with that. The same sex couple I have known, and I readily admit there are only a few and even fewer with children were good parents. Unfortunately I worked as a pediatric nurse and I know many not good parents of opposite sex parents.

I feel the same way about same sex marriages themselves. I played by all the rules myself..same religion, "same" political persuasion etc and it was a disaster. If someone finds love and wants to be with that person, what does it matter to me!!!!

Old 08-01-2017, 07:45 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
I was moderately conservative until I moved to a mostly conservative small town in my early 20's. It was only then that I realized that my values and background did not match theirs.

At most, I swung to moderately liberal; I've never been a bleeding heart...I simply don't understand those folks.

Now, I'm somewhere between moderately liberal and moderately moderate. And I'm happy there.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:47 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
That's easy. Abortion. When I was a 17 year old high school graduate and knew NOTHING about the real world, I was dead set against it for purely emotional (not rational) reasons.

It didn't take more than a year or two living on my own in the real world for the blinders to come off.

I'm still anti abortion, but you can be darn sure I am PRO CHOICE. Because just because I was lucky enough not to ever end up in a situation where I became pregnant when I didn't want to be doesn't mean I can't recognize that safe abortions in a non-judgmental environment (eg none of this crap about making the woman watch movies or look at pictures of aborted foetusi or anything else along those lines, INCLUDING waiting periods) are necessary to be easily available.

I'm "anti" in the sense that I think it is always better to avoid uneccessary mucking about with our bodies for any reason. In the same sense I am "anti" boob jobs. Actually I am way way WAY more anti boob jobs than anti abortion.

Seriously. I am SO glad I got off my moralistic high horse on that issue as quickly as I did.
Amazing conflation with abortion and boob jobs.

BTW they show boob jobs extensively on TV ie "Botched" so what's wrong with showing abortions the same way if they're no big deal, simply an inconvenience.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:50 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Notice how so many replies discuss party labels and talking points - NOT addressing your question.

BECAUSE most people really don't have the historical knowledge of our country's founding, many gut values or any facts at all about the hot topics - they just relate to their party and media propaganda.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:58 AM

249 posts, read 266,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Notice how so many replies discuss party labels and talking points - NOT addressing your question.

BECAUSE most people really don't have the historical knowledge of our country's founding, many gut values or any facts at all about the hot topics - they just relate to their party and media propaganda.
Why bother reading and replying to people who have no historical knowledge or facts about hot topics at all?

Old 08-01-2017, 10:17 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I was 18 when abortion became legal in 1973. I didn't see any big deal about someone having an abortion if it was done before 12 weeks when supposedly that is when the heart started beating (remember this was 1973). Now I am against abortion, but I would never picket in front of an abortion clinic because it is not my place to judge what another woman is going through. If I'm not willing to adopt & raise her baby I have no right to prevent any woman from having one. So I went from thinking abortion was no big deal to believing abortion kills a developing person.

However, I remember when people who opposed abortion back in 1973 said legalizing abortion would give people less respect for human life. When I see all the senseless killings over stupid, petty things, it does me make me wonder if by legalizing abortion we gave our citizens the idea that life is easily terminated.
I have also come to this opinion. Until my 40's I was a believer that abortion was a final option for birth control gone wrong. Now, not so much. More conservative on this topic. however I hate the the normalization of teens keeping babies rather than surrendering them for adoption.

However, in the way past, I encountered transgender women and thought it was quite odd and confusing. Now I have opinions. I think public restrooms should be non-gender specific. End. Of. Issue. I have become more liberal in this issue.

In the past, I believed adoption of children should be only in traditional families/couples. Now I believe single people and gay couples can make wonderful families. I have become more liberal on this issue.

In the past, I did not believe women should serve in combat roles in the military. I never even had an opinion as far as transgender troops. But now I do believe women should be able to serve in any capacity in which they qualify. Same goes for transgender individuals who have completed their transitions. I don't want taxpayers to pay $100K+ in medical expenses to fund gender transition services, however. I think its a personal choice to transition on one's own nickel; and that choice should be accepted. I have become moderate on this issue.

So, my opinions may change as/when/if new information and new data becomes available. I think its unfortunate if one develops an opinion and then shuts the door on staying aware of new developments.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:21 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,774,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Amazing conflation with abortion and boob jobs.

BTW they show boob jobs extensively on TV ie "Botched" so what's wrong with showing abortions the same way if they're no big deal, simply an inconvenience.
There is no conflation there whatsoever. Both are medical procedures. Apparently you don't know what "conflation" actually means.

You're comment makes no sense. Whatever you are watching on TV is VOLUNTARY, under your control. Requiring women to look at pictures of abortions or foetusi is not voluntary and should not be required before a woman can have an abortion. Nor should there be "waiting" periods. Such requirements infantalize grown women for the gratification of moralizing morons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement