Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 09:19 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,393,662 times

Advertisements

Perhaps, like Minervah and a few others mentioned, it is more important to address the issue of "ideal" or "healthy" weight versus "attractive" weight. Lest someone might respond that I am "bitter" and jealous, I am somewhat average-to-small sized person in height and weight. Being at a healthy weight means different sizes for different body types and different ages. And I have found that, as sharpydove stated, a few women can be the meanest to other women in terms of jealousy, making rude comments about a woman being too large or very small, etc. I have experienced a few women like this through family, neighborhood moms, and moms groups. People who do this are not attractive, no matter how much money they spend on their appearance.

If a person has a beautiful personality, heart and spirit, it truly does not matter what she/he looks like or what size they are. To me, that person is a beautiful person. No amount of makeup or fashion clothes can turn a mean, greedy, or cruel person into a beautiful one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 09:28 AM

1,155 posts, read 958,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I cannot eat carbs
I'm curious about what "I cannot eat carbs" means. As my daughter's pediatric endocrinologist explained to me after her T1 diagnosis, everything that grows in the ground is made up of carbohydrates. So every plant that we eat is a carb (vegetable, fruit, legume, grain, etc.). She has to count every single gram of carbohydrate (food from plants) and cover it with injections of insulin.

The only time she gets to eat something and not count carbs is when she eats part of an animal or an animal product like an egg. That's why she enjoys chicken so much, I think.

So are you telling us that you cannot eat anything grown in the ground? Only animals?

Old 07-31-2017, 09:48 AM

106,236 posts, read 108,237,907 times
i lost 40 pounds on a high carb low fat diet .. because you can almost triple the volume of food when you swap fat for carbs and protein there was no pain of hunger through the day.

it is the constant pain of hunger that cause most diets to fail .

Old 07-31-2017, 12:51 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,913,053 times
whocares811 - Good thread! I enjoyed reading almost everyone's viewpoints. It's good to read these responses with an open mind and not get hung up on wording. A lot of great insights here.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:28 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 27 days ago)

2,001 posts, read 3,320,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
This whole thread amuses me. Who CARES what size anyone else is in the first place? Women are the WORST to each other. I have seen and heard so much judgmental ugliness about weight from women. Enough already! I care what a person is like on the inside! For God's sake, eat a freaking cookie once in awhile. What else is there? Standing on the scale and staring in the mirror? Just stay active and get your long walks in each day.
Yep, so true. YOU are not a size, or a number. YOU are a human being, with a brain and a heart (hopefully), and a soul.

And the LAST reason i'd ever lose weight was because i was afraid someone would be talking about me. Eff 'em. They will talk about someone else, if not me. And after i walk by, they'll move on to the next person anyway. People who talk about people show THEIR lack of self-confidence. If you are happy with yourself, you don't have to put down other people.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:01 PM

19,648 posts, read 9,185,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Perhaps, like Minervah and a few others mentioned, it is more important to address the issue of "ideal" or "healthy" weight versus "attractive" weight. Lest someone might respond that I am "bitter" and jealous, I am somewhat average-to-small sized person in height and weight. Being at a healthy weight means different sizes for different body types and different ages. And I have found that, as sharpydove stated, a few women can be the meanest to other women in terms of jealousy, making rude comments about a woman being too large or very small, etc. I have experienced a few women like this through family, neighborhood moms, and moms groups. People who do this are not attractive, no matter how much money they spend on their appearance.

If a person has a beautiful personality, heart and spirit, it truly does not matter what she/he looks like or what size they are. To me, that person is a beautiful person. No amount of makeup or fashion clothes can turn a mean, greedy, or cruel person into a beautiful one.
Again, thanks to EVERYONE for all the great posts -- but I particularly wanted to address the above post and compliment Fern for making a very good point in the second paragraph above.

A couple of you, however, have seemed to need some clarification as to what I mean by "attractive weight" versus "feel good/healthy weight". At my current weight, at which I am healthy and feel good, my BMI is 23, which is considered to be normal and healthy, with no additional weight loss recommended.

However, my husband and I both have thought (at least until recently) that my figure looks best being one size smaller and ten pounds lighter than my current weight, although I have always had to rigorously diet to keep the ten pounds off. The point is that maybe I would look better if I lost the ten pounds, but as I have to be very conscientious about my diet to maintain that weight, I just no longer feel that constantly having to diet is worth it now at almost 64 years old.

(And, also, just for the record, since high school, I have always been just slightly above average in looks, percentile-wise, so, no, I have not considered myself to be unattractive since leaving junior high, when I wore very thick glasses and had very crooked teeth -- BUT, to emphasize, I completely agree with what Fern435 wrote in the second paragraph above!)

Old 07-31-2017, 02:57 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,832,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
I swim six days a week, half mile each day.
Love it.
Get up, have coffee, go swim.
Starts the day right.
I'm in better shape now than I ever was before.
(never was athletic before)
I absolutely love doing what I didn't have time for when I was working. Isn't that part of what retirement is supposed to be about?
I just bought a red Speedo training suit with a matching red swim cap. They make me swim even faster.
:-)

That's awesome!!

Old 07-31-2017, 03:17 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,832,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Some of us who think we are too fat may actually be at a healthy weight for our age. This calculator is adjusted for age and gender:

Calculate your BMI, correctly rated according to age and sex

According to the calculator, I am just on the edge of needing to lose weight but am healthy as I am. My own feeling is that I need to lose 20 lbs. But I realize it may never happen. Trying to lose weight over 50, especially for a short woman (I'm less than 5' 2"), is like chipping cement. So I'll be OK with myself if I stay as I am, and I exercise regularly, so I think I look good despite being slightly zaftig.
This is my story too Bayarea4.
I am almost 56 and only 5 1/2 inch and I could stand to lose 20 pounds too but my BMI on this said I was on the edge too. I feel healthy, don't smoke and eat pretty healthy food.
It is really hard to lose weight after 50. I'm proud that I haven't gained any more weight in the last 2 years

Old 07-31-2017, 03:21 PM

199 posts, read 130,525 times
I think its interesting that in 10 pages of replies virtually no one mentioned staying fit for their spouse's sake. Perhaps it's a sign that the relationship has evolved into more of a companionship. May just be fact of life.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:25 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,710,192 times
Yeah, I forgot to mention that my husband has to stay fit, Navy Seal body type, otherwise I might give him a boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement