Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 08:01 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times

Advertisements

My clothes (and person) are clean. I generally wear jeans or a cotton skirt, a tshirt or button up shirt and sandals. Dressing up further than that?

My weight I watch, in a lazy way, for health reasons (diabetes, several types pf cancer and Parkinson's run in my family), as I watch my blood sugar and blood pressure. Could I weigh less? Yes. Do I care? Again

No makeup for me and no fussy haircuts, either, a short "wash and mess" haircut. It's taken me a long time to find a good stylist who understands my dislike of hair "product" and who can do a good cut on unruly silver hair.

I also had "the talk" with the spouse - "honey, give up the incipient comb over and buzz the hair short - it is what it is and I love you the way you are - and I kinda like ruffling the short buzzy sides."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 08:06 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES67 View Post
Hell some of the women I worked with didnt wait until retirementl
Ha! Most guys barely wait until out of college!

Old 07-28-2017, 08:14 PM

547 posts, read 506,742 times
One pound a year over forty.
Think about it.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:12 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
One pound a year over forty.
Think about it.

my mother said, " gain a pound a year, in 20 years, that's 20 pounds"

I can put my hair in a bun without looking and my summer attire this year is a sarong, croc sandals, and earrings. and bug spray When I go off the property, I wear loose pants and a tee shirt. I wear dresses, leggings, and boots when it gets cold.

I am too fat. I like to eat. I would be fatter if I did not exercise a little self discipline. I certainly don't want to get any bigger. I use Minervah's system I don't look at myself and I don't weigh.

I stay busy and try to stay content. I don't tolerate much aggravation in my life. I have a low impact exercise machine that I use daily and enjoy. I think these things contribute to my "looks" in a positive way.

Off topic, but more than my weight, I am going to lose one of my front teeth and I haven't decided yet whether or not I will be mortally embarrassed to be seen or it just won't matter.

I'm 70

Old 07-28-2017, 11:34 PM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times
Some of us who think we are too fat may actually be at a healthy weight for our age. This calculator is adjusted for age and gender:

Calculate your BMI, correctly rated according to age and sex

According to the calculator, I am just on the edge of needing to lose weight but am healthy as I am. My own feeling is that I need to lose 20 lbs. But I realize it may never happen. Trying to lose weight over 50, especially for a short woman (I'm less than 5' 2"), is like chipping cement. So I'll be OK with myself if I stay as I am, and I exercise regularly, so I think I look good despite being slightly zaftig.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:57 AM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times
my wife is so critical of everything she eats . it gets crazy sometimes .

i will go do you want a share a dessert , she goes sure . then she takes two spoonfuls and i end up eating the rest .

Old 07-29-2017, 06:10 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,503 times
Since I've retired I've lost 35 lbs and my blood pressure has dropped 20pts. Not sitting at a desk all day, eating on the run and dealing with stressful situations. I also exercise at least once a day, bike, Pilates, or weights.
As for makeup I will wear it when we go someplace "special" or some days just because I want to. During the summer here mostly my daily makeup is a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen.
Clothes during the summer months are shorts, a nice t-shirt and of course cute sandals. Winter is jeans or dark pants, a nice shirt or sweater and of course cute boots/shoes.
My one rule about appearance is from my mother, as long as you are out of your pajamas by noon and your teeth are bushed you're fine.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:50 AM

698 posts, read 1,051,557 times
I've never had a weight problem-genetics more than willpower or discipline- and ,since I've had diabetes for 22 years- controlled well.so far, with diet and oral med-, I have to be reasonable, watchful about what I eat. To be honest, I've never had a struggle about controlling weight, and I do stay away from most sugar, excessive starches,alcohol only occasionally, and exercise more than I'd be inclined to do without the diabetes. Also, I've concluded that being tall (5'8") probably helps.

So, I wear the same size clothes, and similar style that I wore twenty years ago when I was 54, I do wear minimal makeup ( eyeliner, blush ) and have my blonde/gray hair streaked. I'm not ready to go entirely gray, and the S.O. as well as my late husband were not fans of all gray for me or them, either. Maybe, when I'm pushing 80,if I live that long, I'll go gray-my neighbor made the change at that age.

I see no reason to change my clothing and makeup choices or routines; it's not as if it takes more than 10 - 15 minutes to get it all together in the morning-not really a burden, as far as I'm concerned. But, it definitely is a very personal choice.

Catsy

Old 07-29-2017, 06:53 AM

240 posts, read 267,800 times
Before I moved to Florida, I was overweight. Never could lose any weight at all. Since moving here, I have lost some weight due to lap swimming. It's not a lot of weight, but I think the swimming has helped. Due to hip pain, it seems to work better as it is difficult to do a lot of walking. I don't overdo it, but I actually feel a lot better physically and mentally after a swim.

I don't use a lot of makeup, just a bit of lipstick and face powder if I go out, which is about all I can handle during the summer heat. i like to feel clean and fresh but I don't fuss with clothing. In the summer, it's usually just a light top or tee shirt, paired with capris, shorts, and sandals. Occasionally I'll wear a sleeveless top or dress. In the winter, if it's a cooler day, then it is a shirt, and long pants. If it gets any colder, then I have to get out the shoes!��

Old 07-29-2017, 06:59 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Some of us who think we are too fat may actually be at a healthy weight for our age. This calculator is adjusted for age and gender:

Calculate your BMI, correctly rated according to age and sex

According to the calculator, I am just on the edge of needing to lose weight but am healthy as I am. My own feeling is that I need to lose 20 lbs. But I realize it may never happen. Trying to lose weight over 50, especially for a short woman (I'm less than 5' 2"), is like chipping cement. So I'll be OK with myself if I stay as I am, and I exercise regularly, so I think I look good despite being slightly zaftig.
Thanks!...lots of good information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement