Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 12:56 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,878 times

Advertisements

I never feel so poor as when I read these posts on the retirement threads. Those of us who worked up to 80 hours a week with their own small company have no pension. We could have set something up, but really could the company afford it? Probably not. We did the best we could squirreling away little bits. It does add up. Thank God for Medicare and Social Security. We never minded paying for that, though sometimes the company match was hard. We've been paying double for many many years because of that match. And DH, who isn't collecting yet is still contributing to his SS and Medicare, even though he's only 1 year away from 70. The medicare tax hardly seems fair at this point.

Anyway, those of you who have pensions, be very grateful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 05:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I was lucky, I worked for a wonderful company that had great benefits and my pension, though very small, is a gift to me I always feel. I didn't put in a penny. I did contribute to my 401K but that was different. So many getting ready to retire now, don't even have much of a retirement, if any. I know my husband worked 12 years for the phone company, but of course didn't retire from there (his own stupid fault) He got nothing except a nice little party. At that time the phone company only offered retirements for those who were 65 years old. Or when they offered early retirements the benefit sucked.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:10 AM

37 posts, read 17,365 times
My pension was non-contributory but it was frozen around 1996 so the amount I get (around 950.00 per month) is based on my salary at the time. That's ok though, I contributed 15% of my salary to my 401k through the years, also have my late husbands 401k and am collecting survivor benefits from social security until I collect my own at 70. The pension is a nice extra benefit.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:51 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Worked for a regional public transportation agency. In a state pension fund.

When I started the job at 20, I didn't give a rat's ass about the pension. I was more concerned with the fact that they were offering more vacation time to start than anyone else. I was a bit put out after the first year was up when I was enrolled in the pension system and had to contribute 3% to something that was way far into the future and that I would never collect because I was gonna get married and have kids and be supported by somebody else.

37 years and a divorce later, I retired from that place. Never did get to sit home except for maternity leave (I did have one kid), but I am so grateful now to have been in that system. I was able to move up in the career that I never wanted, and I ended with a fairly decent position and salary for an uneducated woman. At some point along the way, they changed the rules so that after ten years you didn't have to contribute anymore.

I just turned 59, so full SS collection is still almost eight years away. I work part-time to kill some debt I incurred for my daughter's college education.

They also offered a deferred comp plan, but I was not able to afford to participate. I ended up a single mom and my ex was not big on keeping up with the child support, so things were tight when she was growing up.

I'm OK, though. I will never be rich, but I am comfortable enough. I have a small condo and a small car and some extras. Another bonus of where I worked is that I took my excellent health care benefits with me at no cost. Unfortunately for those behind me, they will not enjoy the same level of benefits that I have.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:51 AM

24 posts, read 25,849 times
I've got a government pension that will pay 3 % for each of my high 5 consecutive years. During the past 30 years, I've contributived 5 % of my salary with the city matching. I've just now turned 55 and can collect 90 % of my salary. The big problem is HEALTH CARE...... I can't afford to retire and collect $75,000 from my pension, but have to pay $30,000 for HC...The million dollar question, what should I do ?

- Continue working at present job and building up my pension
- Retire and collect pension, but live frugually to get by
- Get new full time job (w/ HC) and start at bottom
- Get part time job for peanuts to help to get by
- ???????????????

(FYI pension does have 1 % COL)

Old 08-05-2017, 09:08 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
....I am wondering if your pay was docked for your pension; or if it was free? Do you get other benefits and healthcare too?
I had to contribute to my pension. We got large amounts of vacation and sick time, but our insurance sucked major...all of the choices were lousy or lousier.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:37 AM

294 posts, read 372,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's incorrect.

Federal employees become vested in the FERS retirement system after only 5 years of service. If they then leave government employment, they would be eligible for a deferred annuity beginning at age 62.
If someone serves four years in the military, and does a time buy-back after going FERS, does that four count normally as the FERS years immediately after buy-back is complete? ie, if you bought back your time in the first year, on your 1-year anniversary at your new fed job, are you vested and eligible for the deferred annuity?

Or does it need to be five years at your new workplace?

Old 08-05-2017, 01:02 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
If someone serves four years in the military, and does a time buy-back after going FERS, does that four count normally as the FERS years immediately after buy-back is complete? ie, if you bought back your time in the first year, on your 1-year anniversary at your new fed job, are you vested and eligible for the deferred annuity?

Or does it need to be five years at your new workplace?

In short the answer is yes. The retirement would be deferred to be collected at age 62 for 5% of your average pay rate.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:19 PM

294 posts, read 372,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
In short the answer is yes. The retirement would be deferred to be collected at age 62 for 5% of your average pay rate.
Nice. It would not be a ton of money when one considers inflation, but for feds who go over 5 years but won't hang for the full pension, it could make a nice small supplement later in life to help delay needing early social security.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:12 PM

2,199 posts, read 3,356,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.V. SnowBird View Post
I've got a government pension that will pay 3 % for each of my high 5 consecutive years. During the past 30 years, I've contributived 5 % of my salary with the city matching. I've just now turned 55 and can collect 90 % of my salary. The big problem is HEALTH CARE...... I can't afford to retire and collect $75,000 from my pension, but have to pay $30,000 for HC...The million dollar question, what should I do ?

- Continue working at present job and building up my pension
- Retire and collect pension, but live frugually to get by
- Get new full time job (w/ HC) and start at bottom
- Get part time job for peanuts to help to get by
- ???????????????

(FYI pension does have 1 % COL)
$30,000? Why is it so high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement