Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:52 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

99% of articles just say if you make over XXX this much of your Soc Sec MAY be taxed, I wanted to find the formula to determine exactly how much it would if based on certain incomes. I finally found an article somewhere that if my income plus half your benefits is more than $32,000 but less than $44,000, I'll only be taxed on one half of the excess over $32,000 OR one half of the benefits (Whichever is lower.) I did some basic math on my own numbers and was OK with the result.

To be honest I thought "oh, that's not that bad. I thought the hit would be worse than that the way people talk about Soc. Sec. benefits being taxed." But that doesn't mean I didn't start investigating ways to keep RMDs low. I sure did.

Believe me, I get being frustrated by not finding the info you're looking for.
I use Turbotax to model this. The only thing I don't have is future tax bracket and future social security. So I make a wild guess. Like if I max out at SS today at 70 is $3500 a month, what would it be when I'm 70, my wild guess is that it would be $65k per year vs $42k per year in 13 years.
But I have no need to be exact, I just need to know roughly so I can plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 09:04 AM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
there are quite a few websites today that for a fee can do all the scenario's for you depending how much you want to pay for a report .

they can combine it with your assets and look at delaying ss , rmd effects , annuity effects as well as if a couple getting the biggest bang for the buck .

Old 08-05-2017, 09:07 AM

Some website told me to get SS at 65. I'm cheap. I will not be paying for anything. I'm going to get my SS at 70.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:11 AM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
we decided on 65 for me as a good balance . I start next month

Old 08-05-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we decided on 65 for me as a good balance . I start next month
Is that your FRA?

Old 08-05-2017, 09:54 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
while 80% of married men die married , 80% of married women die alone .

in the end most women may be single

I hear this all the time women get along so much better than men being alone after long marriage or marriage in general. Women have friends and hobbies and groups they join and overall do better alone. It took some doing and years but the longer alone, the better alone. I play bridge and that is a GREAT out let mind and social card game, and we have a few men but rooms are filled with women.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:06 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Not much advice received, but I do keep reading how being a single elderly person shortens my expected lifespan.....not sure how picking up a nagging wife would make me want to live longer......

Loneliness, living alone may lead to a shorter lifespan - CBS News

Old 08-05-2017, 10:15 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Retirees who are single - what advice are you getting?
Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying;
And this same flower that smiles todayT
o-morrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
The higher he's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,
And nearer he's to setting.

That age is best which is the first,
When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse, and worst
Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,
And, while ye may, go marry:
For having lost but once your prime,
You may forever tarry.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:53 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Not much advice received, but I do keep reading how being a single elderly person shortens my expected lifespan.....not sure how picking up a nagging wife would make me want to live longer......

Loneliness, living alone may lead to a shorter lifespan - CBS News

There is an important word you might not have noticed in the quote...... "may".

It's not over till it's over.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:10 AM

16,079 posts, read 10,744,030 times
When a retiree (or anyone, I guess) goes through the loss of a spouse and then into empty-nester status followed by downsizing and then possibly moving to another state...the tax changes can take a few years to stabilize. I went through several years of tax-related life changes that finally stabilized about three years ago.

I'm comfortable living alone (OK, full disclosure: I have a cat) and after ten years it would be hard to do otherwise. I guess I'm fully retired at this point and relish the independence. My social circle is smaller than I wish it was...my wife was my social secretary and I had to learn how to make friends when she died. I also moved 1,000 miles so I have long-distance friends. I am also in a writers' group so I have friends from India and Philippines to Israel, Belgium, UK and across the US but I don't "see" them except on very rare occasions. I play bocce with a group of friends and have a local circle of pub friends. My daughter lives about 15 miles away. She came for a visit and decided she likes the area so we see each other each week.

It might be a little morbid but I post something on Facebook every day and tell people to come bang on the door if I'm quiet for more than a couple days. A friend has a brother who was on the floor for three days with a stroke before they got him to a hospital. He is OK now but the brother couldn't get the landlord to go into the apartment and the police were unwilling to go in until the brother convinced them that something was wrong. Single retirees need a rescue plan with a friend or relative because lawyers have made police and landlords reluctant to intervene.

The financial side of the equation is pretty simple. I have a retirement nest egg I don't touch except for special expenses like home improvement or maintenance or maybe a special trip. Everything else is based on what comes in each month and I tuck some of that away in a separate savings account. As a couple we had more monthly income but more expenses. I'm drawing my wife's survivor social security but will switch over to mine in a couple years -- which will be a boost. My financial guy recently convinced me that I was taking too much risk for my age so I eased off the gas on some nest egg investments and I'm still doing OK.

My father-in-law lived for 15 years in a single room of a retirement hotel in the center of a large city and was as happy as he could be. He didn't mix much with "those old people" but had a circle of resident friends. He was a very "urban" person where I'm more "semi-rural". He would be lost where I live and I'd be unhappy where he lived. Everybody has their own preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement