Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:40 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

This idea has been in my mind for some yrs and at 79 I'm so much closer. With the recent knee infection mess and not walking great and perhaps a knee replacement coming up, I find I don't want to drive and own a car more and more.

I have a 1995 Corolla with 47K miles and in good shape for a person who loves to fix autos. My neighbor works on cars and gets involved in selling them for friends etc. when they are ready. He is ready and I keep holding on although I have not driven since probably Nov 2016. The car is parked in my carport waiting for some TLC and someone who still wants to drive.

Just the money saved on upkeep is huge and the fact that I'm just plain tired of driving period. I drove a car for 62 yrs and can honestly say had one fender bender that another car caused. I was pulling into a parking space and he was pulling out his truck and banged into my passenger side.

I know the time will come when I will let go.

We have a lot of services in our town and grocery delivery is big and I already use that delivery. Plus I can rely on friends and daughter some times to take me where I really need to go.

To me it would be FREEDOM from another albatross.

Anyone relate.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-04-2017 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 04:43 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Use Uber or Lyft.

It's easier and much more convenient than driving yourself.

You need the ride, not a car.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:48 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
I got my Uber account recently so I will get rid of one car. Between the two of us, we only need one good car. So ultimately I will move to drive less.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:14 PM

Plus today more than ever driving is a nightmare with all the texting going on behind that wheel. Just hope that the Uber driver isn't doing that number.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:33 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
My Mom went the opposite direction, she drives for Lyft.

It adds over 1K to her social security.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-04-2017, 05:38 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This idea has been in my mind for some yrs and at 79 I'm so much closer. With the recent knee infection mess and not walking great and perhaps a knee replacement coming up, I find I don't want to drive and own a car more and more.
<>
Anyone relate.
Absolutely. For me and the wife as well as older friends. There's another thread about a 92 YOM who refuses to stop driving even without a license. My 99 YO FIL still gets angry for the police taking his license at 95!
One of the big things is reflex times are pathetic at our age. Also we do not heal well. An airbag crash will be devastating as most of us still steer from 2:00 and 10:00. The eyes are gone too, but we don't realize it.
Get in the back, buckle up, and let someone else do the driving.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:52 PM

For sure our reflexes are much much slower. 10 yrs between ages makes a difference, from those in 60 vs those in 70's+.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:05 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
I hadn't driven for about 20 years now. Yeah, I miss the freedom of just jumping into the car if I needed to go somewhere. Now, I ask my "chauffeur" if he would drive me. I feel bad when he has to wait for me when I have an appointment. We usually schedule appointments together-like today. We both had eye appointments.

I do worry if there comes a time when he can't drive anymore.

Cat

Old 08-04-2017, 06:15 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,423 times
I stopped driving and sold my car at around 55 because I can walk everywhere. I should have done it sooner, but living in the states ingrains car ownership into your blood.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I hadn't driven for about 20 years now. Yeah, I miss the freedom of just jumping into the car if I needed to go somewhere. Now, I ask my "chauffeur" if he would drive me. I feel bad when he has to wait for me when I have an appointment. We usually schedule appointments together-like today. We both had eye appointments.

I do worry if there comes a time when he can't drive anymore.

Cat
If and when that happens you'll have to learn new ways to get around, get stuff.. I live in a very good walking town but I'm on the "hard to walk list" now so forget that. Plus when there are big things like bottles of water etc, can't carry those. Giving up car(s) gives us a lot of extra money to shift our lives.

We have some good senior services too including rides to places and return home.

I still think about an accident years ago when an older man driving on a major street here, killed a young person...the sun was hitting his eyes and he lost vision of the young girl.

Then there was the accident when an older man lost control of his auto and drove thru a farmer's market and injured a lot of people and I recall killed some. He was 87 thinking back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement